Track Dayz state side

Thread: Track Dayz state side

Question Track Dayz state side

Do some of you veteran riders have experience riding states side and get travel insurance?

I've only bought travel insurance thru RBC before and I know they won't cover motorized sports injuries.

Re: Track Dayz state side

This question has come up in a couple of places recently so I thought I'd offer the information that I have.

getting injured while riding sucks, but for Canadians racing/riding south of the border, it can also be VERY expensive.

your best to contact the broker mentioned as he is the expert, I am not.

Regular travel insurance WILL NOT cover you.

No general travel insurance will cover you for any type of "CONTEST OF SPEED"

Even though trackdays are not racing, they are seen as contests of speed by insurance companies, and they will deny your claim

If you're concerned, you can purchase a policy from lakeridge financial that will EXPLICITLY cover you for "CONTESTS OF SPEED and RACING"

The policy covers up to $5mil and can either be purchased on a per weekend basis, or a yearly policy that will cover you for trips of up to 10 days in duration, ie, you can be away riding/racing for ten days, return to canada for and go back for another 10 days.

Mine costs under $100 per year

for those interested, you can contact Ralf Scholtes at lakeridge financial

lakeridgefinancial at sympatico.ca
    905 655 8233

Other insurance carriers MAY offer similar policies, but I know this one works as I've had to use it on more than one occasion

Thanks so much. I have heard some insurance companies offer policies. Your's doesn't sound too expensive.

If you have a job you MAY be covered by your worker's insurance. I was and it helped huge 'cause I didn't work for 8 months.
    2011 R.A.C.E. Middleweight Twins Champion
    www.bulletmotoracing.com
    Thanks to: Motovan, Durham Top Quality Collision, Hindle exhausts, OGK Kabuto Helmets, Vortex Racing, Impact Safe-T-Armor, Suzuki of Newmarket and Orion Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    If you have a job you MAY be covered by your worker's insurance. I was and it helped huge 'cause I didn't work for 8 months.
    Of course I have a job but not with those benefits.

Oh well, I'll take it easy while I'm down there, that will be my excuse. I think I'm out of time for coverage for this weekend.

thanks guys

If you call lakeridge, they can have the policy to you within hours, definitely the same day.

You can also get a weekend policy from them for $25

reciprocity, you da best ! thanks so much

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    Has anyone been able to contact them lately? Tried to call the guy several times in the past and all I got was an answering machine. Never responded to my voicemail either..
    RACE #36
    2011 CRF450R SM

send an email, they'll respond within a day.

I didn't buy insurance this year. If I got injured I was going to send my bills to Tony at bluestreak racing

see the little sticker on the sign

After all, he told me to place his sticker here.....knocked 10 seconds off my lap time Tony! Great idea

Check your group life policy at work, chickie... Mine covers me quite well 'Stateside. ( Our rep is a rider. )
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by 100monkeys View Post
    Check your group life policy at work, chickie... Mine covers me quite well 'Stateside. ( Our rep is a rider. )
    Dan
    make sure there is not a "CONTEST OF SPEED" exclusion.

I'm not aware of any Canadian group life plan that covers this sort of thing while out of the country.

My company does a lot of business(b to b marketing) with the underwriters of these policies and I've asked a lot of questions and have yet to hear the "YES, we'd cover that sort of thing!" answer you would expect.

make sure there is not a "CONTEST OF SPEED" exclusion.

I'm not aware of any Canadian group life plan that covers this sort of thing while out of the country.

My company does a lot of business(b to b marketing) with the underwriters of these policies and I've asked a lot of questions and have yet to hear the "YES, we'd cover that sort of thing!" answer you would expect.
    I got the "YES, we cover that sort of thing!" through my private Ontario Blue Cross. I just dont believe them.
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

send an email, they'll respond within a day.
    They responded, thanks.

Our rep at Sun Life told me:

"You would not be covered if you inflicted the injury on yourself intentionally. For example: if you are racing, you are obviously not trying to injury yourself, but if you crash doing the 'superman trick', you hurt yourself taking undue risk, therefore it would not be covered. Either way, we'd have to investigate."

Which sounds like a definite "maybe".
    RACE #36
    2011 CRF450R SM

Quote Originally Posted by 100monkeys View Post
    Dan
    WELLLLLLL change your policy gender to Female and give me your benefits card

My coverage doesn't cover "motorized sports". The only way I'd seek medical attention in the states, is if I needed it so bad that I leave in the special bus. If I was carted off in the bus, I couldnt pretend it happened on the street.

I posted this last yr and it's popped again. I didn't get coverage this yr, I just hope for the best.

Hey everyone,

For the benefit of anyone looking into this topic - just spoke with the guy Recip mentioned and that insurance program is no longer available to new applicants.

However, people who have held the policy prior to some deadline were grandfathered and allowed to continue with coverage. It appears there are no general insurance companies that will write policies to cover "Contests of Speed.. etc.", yet there was a suggestion that Lloyds of London may agree to do so... The price is likely to be higher but still sounds like under $300/year. I'll update if I find out anything more.

Fingers crossed!

Update. I have been swinging at this one for several months now, and there is no specialty coverage in Ontario for track day personal injury insurance as it once was. The Lloyds Group offers Disability Insurance Coverage that specifically includes racing/track days (they do not differentiate between them). Male 40ish is around $2400/year and the policy is only good for 3 years. After that you must reapply, which necessarily means higher premiums as you get older (and the risk increases that your health will decline.)

The best way around this issue is to set up with Critical Illness and Long Term Care insurance (2 separate policies) that do not have these exclusions, but also offer much more comprehensive coverage over all potential risks (illness, etc.) Disability Insurance and Life will have exclusions for "Contests of Speed". I can PM anyone my broker's info if they are interested in more, and answer any questions.

Now that that's settled, I'm going racing!

I was thinking a little outside the box and thought about insurance from an American company. Found www.RiderSurance.com. They specialize in action sports and motorcycle racing. I asked about coverage for Canadians traveling to the states for track days or race schools and he replied the coverage is available and would be very affordable. Here's a link he sent for getting a quote if anyone is interested.

FYI I've not used them this was just curiosity and a google search. The guy did get back to me really quick with my questions.
    2004 R1150RTP
    1998 Ducati 944

Travel coverage is available from Atlas Insurance (appears to be available through quite a few brokers and you can sign up online). You pay a 20% surcharge to remove the exclusion in question - that's what you need to do.

Yes, both RiderSurance and Atlas (http://www.hccmis.com/atlas-travel-insurance-coverage/) look great if you are traveling to the US, but for coverage up here there still are no options.

Atlas looks like travel medical and some life insurance to pay for getting you to a hospital and sorted out, but has minimal life insurance ($25K). Still would be worth it if I decide to do Barber or Grattan later this year.

I have enough life insurance already, and up here in Canada we don't have to worry about the hospital stay/surgery thing... my biggest concern is income replacement after an injury that keeps me away from work for a period of time. You'll need to pay the bills and possibly cover additional healthcare that is not covered by OHIP.

Unfortunately the Lloyds Group seem to be the only ones sticking their toe in right now with their Disability Insurance policy. But comparing that to other insurances, you could get half a million dollars of Critical Illness insurance (lump sum payment of that amount to pay for getting you back on your feet), or Long Term Healthcare insurance of up to $8000/month (with no end date) to pay if you are unable to perform 2 of 6 Activities of Normal Living. Seems much more comprehensive than Lloyd's $4000/month for 4 years, then you're on your own.

One little thing I found interesting and humorous... my Life policy is with Sun Life, who you pay a premium to cover motorcycle racing (they don't distinguish between track days and racing, apparently nor do any insurers). So, track days are not covered under their normal Life policy. However, after 3 years coverage, suicide IS covered.