im looking to put frame slider on my 636 any idea where to look? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: im looking to put frame slider on my 636 any idea where to look?

Re: im looking to put frame slider on my 636 any idea where to look?

i guess im going to get the motovation and i have to cut the faring little bit .

it is actually very easy, had some on my 05 636. and good set will come with a centre punch that you mount in the bolt hole. just mount your fairing and push down, this will mark the centre of the hole you need to cut. then use a dremel to make it bigger and bigger until the slider base just fits through. if you do it right, you wont even see the hole behind the slider.
    CHOWDAH RIDAH

2007 ZX-14 -92,000km
    2006 BW'S -7,000km
    2005 ZX636R -63,533km (stolen)
    2004 SV650S -30,000km (sold)
    2003 ZZR250 -15,000km (sold)

Current tire choice: Pirelli Angel
    Last tire choice: Road Smart- 19,000 on last set (not the best though..)
    CSC Certified Riding Instructor

Lightbulb Re: im looking to put frame slider on my 636 any idea where to look?

Some advice on cutting the fairings.

1) Take your time and cut little by little
    2) Put masking tape on the area you are cutting. It will prevent the paint from chipping on the edge where you are cutting. I learned this half way through so one side had a perfect clean cut and the other had small paint chips around the edge.
    2wheelchickenpoop

guys to be honest with you i really dont want to cut the faring so im going with no cut one. what do u think about these two?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OES-F...1%7C240%3A1318
    i want no cut

no cuts offer little to no protection and are only as strong as the flimsy offset bracket.

I typed a nice long reply and the wifi ate it. Don't be cheap, do it the right way, get proper sliders.

the funny thing is i went to Kahuna, my friend is working there. what he told me is Dont waste ur money on frame slider they dont do anything if you go down. but i just want to do it and no there is no way that i want to make holes in the faring. i want no cut faring so if u guys wanna help then help me with what i want, i heard your idea about it no if you have any link or any thing for no cut one plz let me know
    thanks in advance

no cut suxs lol srsly

frame sliders do help.

In a serious high speed crash, nothing is gonna save the bike.

Where frame sliders earn their bread-n-butter is in the slow speed lowside or the tip over. In these situations, without the sliders, you run the risk of costly fairing damage, or worse, a dent in the frame itself. The frame is not solid aluminum. It's hollow and the aluminum in the walls can dent in a tip over or a slow speed low side (or high side for that matter). so for the relatively inexpensive cost of the sliders, you help minimize that risk.

But it's your bike, and so it's your choice. If you just want them for "looks" then get whatever you like. If you want them to actually protect the bike, don't get the no-cut sliders unless the bracket is designed to be very sturdy, and the mounting bolt connects the a strong part of the frame (usually at an engine mounting point).

I've seen 2 examples of very strong no-cut sliders. One was by R&G IIRC and made for the SV650. It stood up to a tip over very well. nor fairing damage, only light scuffs. Another was for the Hayabusa, but I only read reviews for it. Both mounted by means of a strong bar that connected one side of the bike to the other, through the engine at it's mounting points in the frame. Both had brackets made of thick aluminum (or steel, can't remember, sorry, but i was a pretty beefy piece)
    ~=Big Daddy of the Dope Dragons MC=~

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

Here's an example of a sturdy offset bracket used on the SV650, by R&G:

Now THAT is strong. It's not some flimsy tab that will break in a crash.

if you're worried about cutting, have a professional do it. I had motovation sliders installed by Z1 Cycletech on my previous '05 636 and the installed looked very clean, OEM clean.

as for the sliders you referenced:

this one won't protect your frame, let alone any fairings as it's too low, too short, and looks like it's meant to be used without the fairing for the 636:

this pic isn't even of an '05 ZX636, and it's on the right side, the side that doesn't even need cutting (the '05 ZX636 only needs the fairing cut on the left side):

these eBay sliders have the dreadded off-set tab bracket. It looks like it might be sturdy, but that tab could break. It doesn't look anywhere near as sturdy as the bracket for the SV650 seen above

This offset tab bracket looks even more flimsy compared to the one above:

And finally, the Shoguns you linked to are not even for a 2005 ZX636 (they're for 1998-2004 models) and as such, have no way of offsetting the left slider to save you from cutting the fairing:

Even the R&G model for you bike will require you to cut a small hole in the left fairing:

IMHO, the Motorvation sliders really are the best ones you should be looking at:

http://www.motovationusa.com/mvstore...p?idproduct=41

2005-06 Kawasaki ZX6R / 636 Frame and Swingarm Sliders and Accessories
    The race frame sliders fit directly onto the engine mounting/support brackets of your Kawasaki ZX6R or 636 without modification to the frame. Frame sliders have machined aluminum inserts that fit snugly into the recessed part of the frame of the Kawasaki ZX636 ZX6R Ninja for maximum strength and impact force distribution. Some minor fairing trimming is required on the left side.
    right side:

left side:

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

but if you really want to protect the fairings, get a crash cage like the stunters use.

I think Johnny636 sells them, and the Ingenuity cage was showcased on Superbikes!

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

Quote Originally Posted by kevin4uc View Post
    the funny thing is i went to Kahuna, my friend is working there. what he told me is Dont waste ur money on frame slider they dont do anything if you go down. but i just want to do it and no there is no way that i want to make holes in the faring. i want no cut faring so if u guys wanna help then help me with what i want, i heard your idea about it no if you have any link or any thing for no cut one plz let me know
    thanks in advance
    IMHO your friend is an idiot.

My 10 has Champs Industries sliders on it, the beefiest of all beefcake sliders and it has been crashed at least 6 times. My most recent unscheduled dismount this weekend resulted in a broken shift linkage and clip on and a bit of rash on the bodywork.. No damage to case covers, tank, rad, frame, etc and i pitched it HARD. My collar bone didn't escape as lucky but i'll heal.

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

Quote Originally Posted by suprPHREAK View Post
    I'm confused, what are you trying to say?
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin4uc View Post
    he has no idea what he is talking about.
    if u dont know something for sure u dont need to leave a comment.
    Actually,, Recip likely has a real good idea since he probably has more crashing experience at race speeds than anyone else on the forum

Thanks for the details i mean all of you guys i guess my friend is really an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by BusaBob View Post
    Here's an example of a sturdy offset bracket used on the SV650, by R&G:

Now THAT is strong. It's not some flimsy tab that will break in a crash.

if you're worried about cutting, have a professional do it. I had motovation sliders installed by Z1 Cycletech on my previous '05 636 and the installed looked very clean, OEM clean.

as for the sliders you referenced:

this one won't protect your frame, let alone any fairings as it's too low, too short, and looks like it's meant to be used without the fairing for the 636:

this pic isn't even of an '05 ZX636, and it's on the right side, the side that doesn't even need cutting (the '05 ZX636 only needs the fairing cut on the left side):

these eBay sliders have the dreadded off-set tab bracket. It looks like it might be sturdy, but that tab could break. It doesn't look anywhere near as sturdy as the bracket for the SV650 seen above

This offset tab bracket looks even more flimsy compared to the one above:

And finally, the Shoguns you linked to are not even for a 2005 ZX636 (they're for 1998-2004 models) and as such, have no way of offsetting the left slider to save you from cutting the fairing:

Even the R&G model for you bike will require you to cut a small hole in the left fairing:

IMHO, the Motorvation sliders really are the best ones you should be looking at:

http://www.motovationusa.com/mvstore...p?idproduct=41

right side:

left side:

Get the Motivation sliders...they are fantastic!
    NOMFuP, Not My ****ing Problem. - Malcom Tucker

Quote Originally Posted by Moreno636 View Post
    Get the Motivation sliders...they are fantastic!

LOL! They're not crash tested, I hope!!!

Post up some pic's, dude. we've gotta show this guy the light!!!!

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

Dealer/Vendor

If I could throw in my two cents, nobody has mentioned Woodcraft. Yes I know we sell them but we also sell other brands. But the main reason we sell Woodcraft is that we used them on Simon's ZX6RR for three years and he tested them alot. Right Recip?

Four good points. 1. They mount straight to the strongest point. Yes you have to cut plastic there is no compromising. 2. The puck is screwed on from the side so the bolt can be removed after a crash. This is pretty significant to those of you that have tried to take a bolt out after the head has been ground down at an angle. 3. Blue Streak carry the spares and they are very reasonably priced. Spares for some makes are so expensive that it is cheaper to buy a complete new set. 4. They are pretty cheap in the first place.

Tony

bsrtech@xplornet.com

www.bluestreakracing.ca

519 878 9866

If you have doubts about frame slider being a legitamate investment, take a look at this photo. http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload...ki%20ZXRR1.jpg
    If those in MotoGP think its worth while for whatever reason to ad the extra weight then I would tend to go with them. Yes I know Cut and No-cut, but somehow if you're thinking about getting frame sliders, get them for the right reason or just don't bother getting them. Unless they became a fashion accessory while I wasn't looking.
    Get the ones that work the best out of the lot, even if you have to cut some plastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
    He's not the only one with a personality disorder on this website. He just 'acquired' his. Others are born with theirs.

i kinda like the Motvation
    any shop that doesn't rip me off
    my body put a frame slider on his 250 and kahuna charged him 260
    i just dont want to cut the frame my self

you dont cut the frame, you make a couple small cuts in the fairings. $260 is a little high but doesn't sound like a huge huge rip off depending on how much the sliders were + an hour or so labour + taxes. If you don't want to pay you'll have to do it yourself.