Hockley road resurfacing

Thread: Hockley road resurfacing

Hockley road resurfacing

Update: Hockley road east of Airport rd to the Village is all chewed down to the roadbed. It is a hardpack sandy gravel base right now. It will be repaved and possibly wider shoulders paved. West of Airport Rd right now the crew has chewed up from about the ski resort (3rd line) westward. I expect they will do the entire road but it might be done in stages. Last time they resurfaced it took them only a couple weeks. I am gone all weekend so can't update but I would recommend to skip the Hockley zone this weekend. It's a bit dusty but it is rideable. I'll update over the next week or two.
    Last edited by hillbilly; 06-30-2009 at 11:33 AM.

Re: Hockley road resurfacing

I drove Hockley yesterday in my cage. They did not chew up the road, rather it looks like they laid down sand and oil. I passed the street sweeper yesterday, they were picking up the sand, but it looked slick. I passed many bikes on the road, maybe one can give us an update. I think I'll wait until after this weeks rain washes away the oil to head that way again.

Wheels down!

Update: So all the sand and hardpack was not the road bed being grinded down. Yeah, they just dumped sand and and I assume calcium on the road then sent in the sweepers. I looked at the section between Hockley Village and Airport in my truck. It was wet last night so a bit grimy so I would avoid the mess until it dries out and looks clean. I have never seen the road crew do this before to a paved road, there was no tar sealant work done or anything like that. The section by the ski resort I did not look at last night (Mon).

I have no idea why they would have done this to the road; it was not even in bad shape. I ride it almost every day when I use my bike to commute, but I will be staying away after my ride home on Friday. The section from Third to Fifth Lines was a mess. It looked to me like they had ground off the surface in preparation to repave and then dumped a load of loose gravel along the entire section. A little squirrely to say the least on an ST.

I will keep an eye out and update when it is safe to return with road bikes.

Malks
    1997 ST1100

I have riden this road three times this week. It is all good.

I rode down Hockley yesterday, all the loose stuff is gone, still looked like some 'oily' patches, although didn't seem to slick. I did not push it, however. A few more days rain and all should be good to go!

mgbmike

hey riders, what's the latest update on this road?...

It's fine.

I rode it today (from airport to hwy 10). It was perfect.

It is a nice road but nothing too exciting, the twisty section is an inhabited 50km/h community safety zone.

Quote Originally Posted by stnd View Post
    It is a nice road but nothing too exciting, the twisty section is an inhabited 50km/h community safety zone.
    That's what I thought as well. Scenic, but you'd have to be doing 180+ to make it fun. It's worth doing once though.