"First timer" newb group ride (early July) - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "First timer" newb group ride (early July)

Re: "First timer" newb group ride (early July)

REcommendation- Let Davin lead you guys- he's exactly what you need!

Quote Originally Posted by dy9213 View Post
    i'm in as a slow non-noob. I wouldn't mind taking the front if you haven't found anyone yet.

Loving life..

(It's only a matter of time.)

**The artist formerly known as Lucky Draggin**

ybnormal

experienced newb, female rider, Mississauga. Any times and places in mind?

I'm heading out right now. i will be at Tim Horton at Mavis and central parkway in Mississauga at 8 30. anyone from Mississauga area head there if u guys wanna ride. i will be waiting for "jackyff8"'s

Com'mon guys...

Lets get a date and time going here.

Noob on full size bike. Been riding a YSR for the past 10 yrs. Have to get used to the increased speed and lack of lean-a-bility (if that's a word) of a bigger bike. I'm in. Just say when and where
    Always looking for a ride in Mississauga.
    FZR 400
    YSR80

How ABOUT July 1st??? We can leave EARLY like 8am???
    I'm off that day, and it's the first day of july!

Just as long as we don't get stuck in traffic with all the cottagers...

I'm down like a clown!

I'm good for any of the dates mentioned so far.

July 1st sounds good...I'm cool with other dates too..
    Freedom of speech is wonderful - right up there with the freedom not to listen.

Hi everyone

I'm interested but need to know which day in early July & what time.

I'm also interested -- OP, can you post a date / time?

when you guys firm up on a date, maybe create an official thread with the date/time/meet up location.

I work a funny rotation but if it's on one of my off days I'm totally in.

I'm a noob, but pretty comfortable. Just like to get out and ride. I'm in the Don Mills/Lawrence area.

May I suggest July 4 or 5 @ 9:00?
    This entire week is raining (including July 1) and it clears up on Saturday.

I can meet up where ever.

Hi everyone. General update:

Based on the information received so far, I'm trying to put together two groups, each with six "first time" riders and two experienced "instructors". I'm waiting to hear back from the group leaders about this before I will have any more details to post. As Sagittarius30 points out, the weather forecast for July 1 is crap, so that might not be a viable date.

At this point, I'm not sure I will be able to organize more than the first two groups. This is due to (a) a lack of enough experience riders in relevant parts of the GTA to cover all the interested participants, (b) some people are coming from places where it is hard to assemble a group, and (c) not enough feedback about sufficient riding skills to safely try this. Please keep in mind that no one wants to participate in this if it isn't safe for everyone involved.

Regarding other postings on this thread about self-organized group rides: by all means go ahead if you are comfortable it will be safe, but those other group rides are not why this thread was started. The advice from more experienced riders (which I am following) is that (1) each group needs to remain small and be comprised only of riders with sufficient skill that riding the route is NOT a challenge for them, (2) each group needs at least two experienced riders to instruct before starting the ride and to supervise during the ride, and (3) the route needs to be safe (non-busy roads during a quiet time, with no high speeds or twisties). Please keep this in mind if organizing your own group ride.

Hm.. I think you are over thinking it. I mean we can all "ride" the bike, it's not like we will fall off if we go 80km/hour.

I just don't need highways. Not because I am scared of them - but because i'll takle those on my own terms when I am ready.

I don't see the problem with twisties - in fact what's the point of riding straight? I can do it by myself.

If I may make a suggestion (which i am absolutely unqualified to do):
    why not concentrate on getting people to come down and meet, plan the route and then worry dividing up the teams.

It's easier to say "we have 40 newbies and need 4 more experience riders" than to try and limit the num of newbies and divide everything ahead of time.

Cheers

Thanks tonkey. I understand where you're coming from, and started there myself. But fairly quickly the advice began pouring in from experienced riders to keep the groups small and the rides simple for the first time out. There are lots of stories on other threads of wipe-outs by people on their first group ride. I don't think any of the experienced riders who are volunteering for this want to take that risk. I also don't know what we could do if 40 people show up and we have only 3-4 experienced riders. Unlike other group rides, this one has some kindly experienced riders who are willing to go out with all the "first timers" and give some instruction. It may be less fun and a pain in the *** to organize, but hopefully it will be more instructive, safer and less intimidating. Just my .02 (I'm frequently wrong).

Quote Originally Posted by tonkey View Post
    Hm.. I think you are over thinking it. I mean we can all "ride" the bike, it's not like we will fall off if we go 80km/hour.

I just don't need highways. Not because I am scared of them - but because i'll takle those on my own terms when I am ready.

I don't see the problem with twisties - in fact what's the point of riding straight? I can do it by myself.

If I may make a suggestion (which i am absolutely unqualified to do):
    why not concentrate on getting people to come down and meet, plan the route and then worry dividing up the teams.

It's easier to say "we have 40 newbies and need 4 more experience riders" than to try and limit the num of newbies and divide everything ahead of time.

Cheers

Guys this weekend is the Sportbike rally in Perry Sound. so i dont think it would be a good idea to try to get a ride going due to most of the experienced people will be going up north. I am going up saturday morning if any1 wants to join our Maple/Vaughan group feel free. But we will be taking highway and riding at a fair speed.
    After this weekend we can do this ride on any other weekend.
    2008 250R SOLD!!!!!
    2009 ZX-6R Current Bike.

~ Jeff ~

CHEERS !!!

lol... long way to go for a timmies meet.- I heard a lot of people are staying away this year.

guys, just let Geeser put this thing together. It's hard enough for someone to organize let alone try and please everyone.

show up. ride. learn something = have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by [Lucifer] View Post
    Guys this weekend is the Sportbike rally in Perry Sound..

Loving life..

(It's only a matter of time.)

**The artist formerly known as Lucky Draggin**

Here's the first group I've been able to put together. This is meant for the following people in the Oakville/Burlington vicinity:

SpdDmn268
    Limeboy650
    Shah
    floman
    Ybnormal

Lucky Dragon and dy9213 have agreed to be your experienced guides. Meet at Timmies, Third Line and QEW, this Sunday (July 5) at 10 a.m. They will go over the planned route then, but it likely will be backroads in Oakville/Burlington. Remember to arrive early and with a full tank of gas. (And buy Lucky Dragon and dy9213 some timbits and coffee!) Watch for further posts in case the weather turns to crap.

If you cannot make it, please post or PM so that we know and can try to fill your spot.

To the others: my apologies, but a second, and possibly third group are coming together. Stay tuned. Please do NOT show up to the Oakville meet unless you pre-clear it with Lucky Dragon or dy9213.

Safe and fun ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Geeser View Post
    Here's the first group I've been able to put together. This is meant for the following people in the Oakville/Burlington vicinity:

SpdDmn268
    Limeboy650
    Shah
    floman
    Ybnormal

Lucky Dragon and dy9213 have agreed to be your experienced guides. Meet at Timmies, Third Line and QEW, this Sunday (July 5) at 10 a.m. They will go over the planned route then, but it likely will be backroads in Oakville/Burlington. Remember to arrive early and with a full tank of gas. (And buy Lucky Dragon and dy9213 some timbits and coffee!) Watch for further posts in case the weather turns to crap.

If you cannot make it, please post or PM so that we know and can try to fill your spot.

To the others: my apologies, but a second, and possibly third group are coming together. Stay tuned. Please do NOT show up to the Oakville meet unless you pre-clear it with Lucky Dragon or dy9213.

Safe and fun ride!
    Finally...the ball is in motion
    Freedom of speech is wonderful - right up there with the freedom not to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Geeser View Post
    Here's the first group I've been able to put together.
    Thanks for working this out! should be a great day.

alot of effort went into planning this...probably more than any other ride in the past.
    FS:[99-02 SV650 Parts, R6 Rim] [SV650 Brake Pads] [50MM Headlight Bracket] [SuperCorsa Scrubs 120/180]
    I want these parts gone! make me an offer.

please email me directly, I don't check the forums anymore. Thanks!