Anywhere but Ontario, Ride the mountains!

Thread: Anywhere but Ontario, Ride the mountains!

Lightbulb Anywhere but Ontario, Ride the mountains!

If you have a motorcycle trip planned.
    Ride anywhere but Ontario an official POLICE STATE.
    The roads here suck! The cop's here suck! The law's suck!

Any of the States that have either the East or West mountains running down them are great.
    They have public awareness campaign's geared to the motorcycle community.
    Road maps dedicated to motorcyclists are available for area at most hotel's.
    Majority of people on road either give you a chase car or move over to let you by.
    Police Officer's may give speeding ticket's, but usually only in populated town's and cities.
    Even then they do not harass you, and I have found them to be very accomadating.
    Most of the mountain roads have speed limit's far in excess of what you can do when you hit heavy twisties. Just doin the speed limit get's you scraping some serious metal!

Why do they do this? Because they realize when were on vacation we just want to have fun! Were not out to hurt anybody. That education over mindless law making is the way to go.
    Main reason is they want you to visit their state and spend your hard earned money in the local communities stores, restaurants etc... which help everyone.

So why put up with the piggies here, when you can have a relaxing vacation where they actually want you to have fun and explore the highways and byways.

See ya in the mountains! Y'ALL
    _______________________________________o-'o
    Good guy's wear Black!
    I want everything faster than everything else!
    F 203

Re: Anywhere but Ontario, Ride the mountains!

Some roads in Ontario are awesome.
    Some roads have the yellow signs with a recommended speed but you are scrapping pegs when you take it at the speed limit.
    Some of these roads are corner after corner and they all have the yellow recommended speed signs.
    Sounds like you had some trouble with the poopoo.
    You're right when you say Ontario is a Police State.
    Keep the front wheel in the air and the shiny side up.

Guelph
    Past bikes-77 Yam YZ100, 80 Hon CR125, 84 Yam XT600, 86 Hon CR250, 87 Yam TW200, 03 Hon CBR954, 05 Busa
    Current bikes- 08 Busa, 06 Hon CRF50

I always found that the long ride out to the good roads makes the twisties even better

GRAYZ

If you really want to hit the mountains go to West Virginia. I have been through there a couple of times - absolutely stunning. There and the blue ridge mountains in North Carolina and the Great Smokey's in Tennessee.

Of course if you are really brave, nothing beats the Rockies.

[QUOTE=zooropa_chris;947120]Some roads in Ontario are awesome.
    Some roads have the yellow signs with a recommended speed but you are scrapping pegs when you take it at the speed limit.

Really? I'd be keen to know where. Usually I find the speed posted on the yellow cautionary speed signs at corners can pretty much be doubled on the bike, and I have yet to scrape a peg.
    ride - if you want to

Less than an hour south of Buffalo and the view improves. Hospitality in the USA is generally better. Just got back from NY, PA, MD, WV, and VA.

"Biker Friendly" is just lip service in Canada.

Just watch out for deer. I had my three seconds of terror.

I just returned from a bike trip in the US, and I think it ruined riding in Ontario for me. I have to agree that roads don't even compare, riding to Muskoka for 1 hour of riding the twisties versus what I experienced in the US (8 hours from TO), doesn't come even close. Beter roads, safer roads, no gravel or sand on the road (I only intend to have fun, don't really need to crack my spine, allready done that ), better hospitality. Honestly I will need some serious time to recover out of this and enjoy riding in Ontario

I did 3 days in the Adirondacks last summer. Saw three cops (all State Troopers) the whole trip. First time we were parked by the side of a quiet road looking at the map. He pulled over and asked us if everything was okay with our bikes and then helped us with our map reading.

Second one was just pulling out of his depot, just as my buddy overtook a long line of traffic at a speed above the posted limit. He just didn't flinch.

Third one was about 11pm at night on the highway heading back to Saratoga Springs. We were cold, tired, hingry and wanting a beer so were, again, moving along at a speed above the posted limit. Again he din't even flinch when we passed him.

Now I'm sure if I tried riding through the centre of Lake Placid on one wheel I'd be in trouble, but so long as you choose your times and places you can have a successful and fast ride every day.

We're back again in 3 weeks time. Can't wait. In fact the worst part of the trip will be the 3 hours on the 401 to the border at 1000 Islands, and the return 3 hours.
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

I did another week in the Smoky Mountains last month and got completely spoiled again. I've had my street bike out ONCE since I got back.
    Ontario roads are such a let down after riding down south. Kinda like skiing Hockley Valley after Whistler

I have ridden in the mountains in B.C and in Northern Georgia, Tennessse and North Carolina, there is no comparison to Ontario roads, I,m completly spoiled and cant wait to go back to the US.
    I liked Northern Georgia more the B.C

Stumbled on an amazing road last week on a road trip...Hwy 2 through Mass...wow...mountains, twisty, awesome...pretty close to being as nice as Tail of the Dragon...and about half the distance away (only about 6 hours from GTA)...and...less crowded...There is a MUST STAY little motel right in the middle of a sweet hairpin turn on the side of a mountain face in North Adams, MA...Check this one out !!!