Bike just loses all electrical power - WHILE driving! - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bike just loses all electrical power - WHILE driving!

Re: Bike just loses all electrical power - WHILE driving!

Did you check the Kick stand kill switch? This can cause odd behaviour when it starts to go bad, the engine will just "die" inexplicably... had that happen to me on a bike before.

Electrical probs sux!! so many things can be wrong - lol!

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    if anything its the rectifier. those stators last forever, unless its destroyed on the inside (but you'd hear a lot of sound) its prob fine.

you can always run a test, 55V to 60V on all three poles.

Its a 8 yr old bike, the likelyhood for a failed rectifier or fried harness is VERY high.
    No they don't. My stator failed after 2 years on my '06. The dealer didn't replace the rectifier at the same time then the bad rectifier caused an electrical fire. Good thing it was covered under warranty.
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/strictlye/signature.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
    If it was a battery problem then he'd have problems starting up....not randomly after having ridden for 30+ mins. Besides, this is a brand new battery (see his other threads ).

To the OP: I'm thinking it's some sort of major grounding problem. This sounds like a problem my old rx-7 used to have. I managed to fix it by changing the main battery/starter ground. Check the grounds on the bike (especially the one that the battery itself grounds to) and make sure they're all tight. If any of them are corroded, replace the leads. It might not be a bad idea to toss a few extra grounding wires here and there. You can never have too many grounds....
    didn't he say he charged the battery in his first post? could be a bad ground.
    Last edited by lucky2; 06-22-2009 at 10:35 AM. Reason: add to

yeah i did charge my battery - and i charged it again..its at the shop

so it runs till the battery goes dead. i still would not rule out the battery yet.

I doubt it's the battery. My bike used to die on me while riding every so often right before the stator went. Maybe you should have another mechanic take a look at it. To me it sounds like the bike is running only on the battery power until it dies, which means that it's not charging while you are riding. It would have to be a stator /rectifier issue if you have a new battery. It's probably reducing the life of your battery as well.
    Last edited by strictlye; 06-22-2009 at 04:35 PM.

i agree. you have to find out first if it is charging. then you can then dia why the battery goes dead.

*** UPDATE FROM DEALER ****

Ok the Mechanic called me (awesome guy @ suzuki brampton MARK) He said he found some corrosion on some connecters under the right fairing...cleaned them up..and then did the AMP test on the rectirifer/stator..and there are 3 phases - one of the phases tested weak..which makes him think it maybe the Rectifier (located under the tail - left side)...so he ordered the part...he said this could cause the bad charging, which is killing my battery...he also suggested i ditch the crappy battery which i just bought from CANADIAN TIRE! damn! he said he has seen many probs with them in the past...i dont feel like dumping another $100 for a new battery again..but i will see..

I should get the bike tommorow...i hope this solves it..

Quote Originally Posted by bigbody300 View Post

Ok the Mechanic called me (awesome guy @ suzuki brampton MARK) He said he found some corrosion on some connecters under the right fairing...cleaned them up..and then did the AMP test on the rectirifer/stator..and there are 3 phases - one of the phases tested weak..which makes him think it maybe the Rectifier (located under the tail - left side)...so he ordered the part...he said this could cause the bad charging, which is killing my battery...he also suggested i ditch the crappy battery which i just bought from CANADIAN TIRE! damn! he said he has seen many probs with them in the past...i dont feel like dumping another $100 for a new battery again..but i will see..

THey pulled that BS with me too. "Only Suzuki batteries work well with these bikes, I stronly sugguest replacing your new aftermarket battery with one of ours"...........I did it but I'm kicking myself now for it.

Well he didnt say to go with theirs per se, just NOT Crappy tire...

I will keep it for now, as long its holding charge.

This thread is jokes...

I feel for the OP, but come on guys...

Some people are recommending kickstand switches and whatnot....
    One guy even acknowledged that the bike will run until the battery dies, but he wouldn't rule out the battery (come on man... this is clearly a charging system issue, not a battery issue).

If you don't know, just sit back and read what those who do know are suggesting. I'm sure the OP is having difficulty filtering through the crap advice VS the good advice.

Anyhow, bigbody300, the last line you were fed by the "dealer" about the amp test and the 3 phases.... LOL

Yes there are three phases, and if one tested weak (voltage), how on earth could he possibly suggest a rectifier since the rectifier is not even being used when testing the 3 phase stator output (only the stator has 3 phases, the rectifier/regulator converts the 3 phases into single phase DC).

If you have 1 weak phase at the stator - a rectifier can not possibly solve your problem. you will be left with a new rectifier/regulator, and still be feeding it 2 good and 1 bad of the 3 phase AC high voltage side.

Good luck with your problem, I'm sure it will eventually get sorted out.

[IMG]p://i39.tinypic.com/wsjw9e.jpg[/IMG]

Mike - good point! I just called the mechanic to ask him this same question..lets see what he says

i had that problem with my 03 gixxer 1000. I would jump start the bike and ride for about an hour, turn it off, and it wouldn't even bother clicking to turn thru, the lights and the cluster were on but dim. When i tested the charging system, it passed all the tests.

After having to leave my bike outside of Polson Pier for the night (wow i sketched out), I decided to get a new battery. I replaced my battery with a new battery from suzuki, and believe it or not, works like a charm.

You may have a short in your wiring, the best way to go about it, is to test through your whole wiring harness.

If the problem continues, and you jump-start your bike, try to turn on your highbeams while the bike is idling. Highbeams run mostly off the generator. Even though all your charging tests pass: You got a problem with your wires. Get a mechanic to buzz through all your wires.

Good Luck.
    2005 ZX6R - 8900km
    2003 GSXR 1000 - 7000km - For SALE - $6000
    -----------------------------------------------
    2001 R1 - SOLD
    2003 GSXR 750 - SOLD
    2001 GSXR 1000 - SOLD
    1999 GSXR 600 - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    if anything its the rectifier. those stators last forever, unless its destroyed on the inside (but you'd hear a lot of sound) its prob fine.

you can always run a test, 55V to 60V on all three poles.

Its a 8 yr old bike, the likelyhood for a failed rectifier or fried harness is VERY high.
    So the stealership said one pole is weak....no biggie..how weak are we talking?

If its 55V its weak, but its still fine. 60V is optimal.

Quote Originally Posted by strictlye View Post
    No they don't. My stator failed after 2 years on my '06. The dealer didn't replace the rectifier at the same time then the bad rectifier caused an electrical fire. Good thing it was covered under warranty.
    Im not too familiar with the '06's...but the K1's still were using the older style.

What happened to your stator? did it explode? Was it the stator or the wiring harness?

Mike - good point! I just called the mechanic to ask him this same question..lets see what he says
    have you done the rectifier diode test ? like I suggested in the PM?

the stealership will charge you about $250 to $350 for a rectifier. The $100 battery should be the least of your worries.

..not to mention the dealership shop labour rates....

Correction - my misunderstanding...the rectifier is faulty thats why its getting replaced, also the stator has one weaker phase..he said it was only down by 5volts..so not to worry...

** FINAL UPDATE** Well until i get it back

Well after putting the new Rectifier in, its still is not working - so its my STATOR....OH GOD THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS! And the STATOR is on back order...

WHAT SHOULD I DO? I dont wanna be long without the bike...this sux

I hope they are going to reinstall your original R/R as there was apparently nothing wrong with it, rather than pinching you for the new one?