Bike just loses all electrical power - WHILE driving!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bike just loses all electrical power - WHILE driving!

Exclamation Bike just loses all electrical power - WHILE driving!

hey guys

well i took my bike to the shop (suzuki) a few weeks ago cause it died on me at the light...wouldnt even turn over after it died...then i charged the battery (its a new battery BTW) and its all ok, dealer told me charging system is fine....they thought loose battery connection was the prob.

well it died again on me!

charged it again starts now - POWER STATS:

battery (bike off) = 12.5 volts
    bike on 2000 RPM = 13.9 volts
    revving bike to 4000-5000 = 14.7 volts

SO WHAT IS THE DEAL!!!!

Re: Bike just loses all electrical power - WHILE driving!

If its not a charging problem and you have replaced the battery-

this may be one of the Sh**tiest problems you can have..

It most likely that you have a short somewhere. Was it wet/raining when this happened? could be moisture related, something not sealed or closed up properly.
    did you do any electical mods? check those first.

if not...
    You need to take a voltmeter and test the bike in sections up and down.

b4 you do that- double check the connections on the fuse box.. occasionally it can be due to a loose fuse.

good luck

Do you ride in heavy traffic or stop and go?

I have a problem with past couple bikes that if it sits in stop and go for 30+ mins the bike will not start if I shut it down shortly after. Bikes don't charge when there sitting in traffic and will slowly drain the battery.

This is amplified if you have a power drain. Did you add higher wattage bulbs, new accessory, bike alarm, etc...?
    Current - '08 T-rex (soon to be T-rex-T)
    Current - '02 Suzuki Hayabusa-T

Ex' - '88 - Yamaha YSR 80
    Ex' - '01 - Suzuki Gixxer 1000
    Ex' - '89 - Honda CB-1
    Ex' - '02 Yamaha R6
    Ex' - '91 Yamaha YSR 80
    Ex' - '98 Suzuki GSXR 600

The reg/rec will fail when warm/hot but work fine when cold. Let the bike warm up then try testing.

just because it's a new battery don't mean it's good. check to see if the battery will hold a charge on its own out of the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbody300 View Post
    hey guys

well i took my bike to the shop (suzuki) a few weeks ago cause it died on me at the light...wouldnt even turn over after it died...then i charged the battery (its a new battery BTW) and its all ok, dealer told me charging system is fine....they thought loose battery connection was the prob.

well it died again on me!

charged it again starts now - POWER STATS:

battery (bike off) = 12.5 volts
    bike on 2000 RPM = 13.9 volts
    revving bike to 4000-5000 = 14.7 volts

SO WHAT IS THE DEAL!!!!
    do you still have the orginal regulator rectifier?

they'r known to burn plugs, the stator and rectifier.

but the charging stats seem fine....who tested it? and where are the specs from? Across the battery terminals?

Does it do it when its hot/cold? please describe the symptoms? When did it die? does it do this often?

btw a new battery doesn't mean it works well, has a load test been performed on it?
    Last edited by frekeyguy; 06-19-2009 at 10:24 AM.

hi guys..its has happened 3 times now - randomly...

the only consistent thing is it happened when i stopped and then it shut off when i stopped or about to take off - this is also after the bike has been running for at least 30 min. of riding..

I should try testing voltage after a ride (as stated above)..now it starts no prob cause the battery is charged up..

i will also check the fuse box - which i assume is in the battery area ( i seen a fuse relay there) this is a 2001 GSXR 600

As for weather - it has not been rode in the rain...so no.

I should try testing voltage after a ride (as stated above)..now it starts no prob cause the battery is charged up..

i will also check the fuse box - which i assume is in the battery area ( i seen a fuse relay there) this is a 2001 GSXR 600..
    The relay with the 30A fuse is the main fuse....I think its on the left side of the tail...with the starter selenoid there too. I don't think the fuses have anything to do with it, cuz it will lose all power, and work fine when the bikes been on a tender.

The fuse block is located I think towards the left side of the front, beside the fork on the ram air duct..I think.

Its not a charging system issue if its comming up with those numbers...again those voltage numbers are from across the battery terminals?

the only consistent thing is it happened when i stopped and then it shut off when i stopped or about to take off - this is also after the bike has been running for at least 30 min. of riding..
    You mean...you were riding for 30mins+ then come to a stop light, go to take off and it just dies?

Does it turn over? or there is nothing? no lights, no gauges, no dash lights nothing? or does it try to turn over but it doesn't have enough power?

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    The relay with the 30A fuse is the main fuse....I think its on the left side of the tail...with the starter selenoid there too. I don't think the fuses have anything to do with it, cuz it will lose all power, and work fine when the bikes been on a tender.

The fuse block is located I think towards the left side of the front, beside the fork on the ram air duct..I think.

Its not a charging system issue if its comming up with those numbers...again those voltage numbers are from across the battery terminals? YES, i those numbers are with the battery connected

You mean...you were riding for 30mins+ then come to a stop light, go to take off and it just dies? YEs, thats it!

Does it turn over? or there is nothing? no lights, no gauges, no dash lights nothing? or does it try to turn over but it doesn't have enough power?
    WHen it dies out of the blue, and i look at the guages there are lights, VERY DIM, and will not crank..just click sound..

sounds like a battery problem

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2 View Post
    sounds like a battery problem
    If it was a battery problem then he'd have problems starting up....not randomly after having ridden for 30+ mins. Besides, this is a brand new battery (see his other threads ).

To the OP: I'm thinking it's some sort of major grounding problem. This sounds like a problem my old rx-7 used to have. I managed to fix it by changing the main battery/starter ground. Check the grounds on the bike (especially the one that the battery itself grounds to) and make sure they're all tight. If any of them are corroded, replace the leads. It might not be a bad idea to toss a few extra grounding wires here and there. You can never have too many grounds....

Check the plugs that connect your rectifier/regulator, I believe they're under the left side fairing under your seat. Remove the rear wrap, unplug the plugs and inspect the connectors inside. If they've melted or look corroded clean them up or replace them. My 98 750 had the same symptoms and that was the problem.

im gonna run all the tests u giuys have mentioned...wish me luck

*** UPDATE ****

I just checked all plugs etc... but notices 2 things

1. I found a SPOON under my gas tank in the engine area - LOL!!! i guess i can say i have a "spoon engine" (for those that know, its a powerful engine from japan) ...

2. I also noticed that if i have the bike running, and turn on the headlights, my multimeter sees a drop down to 12.1...and it i rev it up it will only go to 12.7...if i turn off the lights and rev it it goes up to 14v+..this bike has stock headlights.

IS THIS NORMAL?

This is so weird, my buddy with the exact same bike has the exact same problem with a new battery! He has been told its the stator FYI. It sounds like the bike battery cant hold charge this means the stator a lot like an alternator has failed. Please keep us updated if you hear any other possibilities.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by turbo131 View Post
    This is so weird, my buddy with the exact same bike has the exact same problem with a new battery! He has been told its the stator FYI. It sounds like the bike battery cant hold charge this means the stator a lot like an alternator has failed. Please keep us updated if you hear any other possibilities.

Thanks
    if anything its the rectifier. those stators last forever, unless its destroyed on the inside (but you'd hear a lot of sound) its prob fine.

you can always run a test, 55V to 60V on all three poles.

Its a 8 yr old bike, the likelyhood for a failed rectifier or fried harness is VERY high.

** UPDATE **

i went to Suzuki and spoke with the guy that worked on my bike last (very knowledgable and nice) and i told him about the headlight test i did - and he said he has seen a few with bad headlight switches which drains the battery...so im gonna do a test and let you know.

** UPDATE **

i went to Suzuki and spoke with the guy that worked on my bike last (very knowledgable and nice) and i told him about the headlight test i did - and he said he has seen a few with bad headlight switches which drains the battery...so im gonna do a test and let you know.
    What is the headlight test? i've never heard about those having issue, im curious now.

have you done the other tests? regulator/rectifier and stator and condition of plugs?

Suzuki: suzuki of brampton? the old guy?

You can very easily check whether your stator is done, by following

http://www.electrosport.com/technica...ng-diagram.pdf

** UPDATE **

Ok i went out and did the HIGH REV test - revving to 5k and seeing the output..got a funny reading..

headlights off - revving 5k = 12.9v
    headlights on - revving 5k = 12.6v

I am thinking for sure charging failure now...as i testing this before and it was running 14volts...so its a faulty charging system.

i am taking it to suzuki on monday...