Who to call ninja 650r

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who to call ninja 650r

GambleVII

Who to call ninja 650r

Im going for insurance quotes and so far its not looking to grand.

Im turning 24, will have m2 with riding school. No prior driving history

Some quotes i have gotten on insurance.

Duffy - 2920 full / 2338 liability + theft fire
    Avi (broker) - 3197 / 2743
    Rider Plus - Wont talk to me as im 24 they said they only do 25
    State Farm - DOnt have G
    Primmum - 3474 for basic. (family has car and home-owners with Td and no discount)

WHo else should I try. I did a quote for a CBR 600rr f4i and it was 3300 as a quote really a 400 dollar diffrence between a sport and a super sport. Thats dumb.
    Last edited by GambleVII; 06-18-2009 at 12:36 AM.

Re: Who to call ninja 650r

Yeah seems like your options are limited.

$2338 would be the best possible rate for this year with Jevco but it doesn't include fire/theft.

Next year it should be a lot better!

GambleVII

Quote Originally Posted by Insurance-Broker View Post
    Yeah seems like your options are limited.

$2338 would be the best possible rate for this year with Jevco but it doesn't include fire/theft.

Next year it should be a lot better!
    Yeah its the whole thinking is it better to.

a)
    Buy a 4500 dollar bike
    Pay 2.5k in insurance
    keep it for 2/3 years with a ins drop to lower numbers after 1 year to be more reasonable

or

B)
    Buy a cbr 125r for liek 2500
    pay 1500 or so ins
    Sell cbr 125r
    Buy sportier bike 4-7k
    pay a little better insurance with that bike.

So its ll decision making.

Quote Originally Posted by GambleVII View Post
    Yeah its the whole thinking is it better to.

a)
    Buy a 4500 dollar bike
    Pay 2.5k in insurance
    keep it for 2/3 years with a ins drop to lower numbers after 1 year to be more reasonable

or

B)
    Buy a cbr 125r for liek 2500
    pay 1500 or so ins
    Sell cbr 125r
    Buy sportier bike 4-7k
    pay a little better insurance with that bike.

So its ll decision making.
    Good thinking! Some people just don't want to ride a 125 for number of reasons but if you can bear it out for a year than it's all worth it

GambleVII

Quote Originally Posted by Insurance-Broker View Post
    Good thinking! Some people just don't want to ride a 125 for number of reasons but if you can bear it out for a year than it's all worth it
    Yeah its for commuting. The problem is I dont know if i can get a good deal on a 650r or gsx 500f if i wait till after my rti course (see how i like the feel of a cbr)

Yeah its for commuting. The problem is I dont know if i can get a good deal on a 650r or gsx 500f if i wait till after my rti course (see how i like the feel of a cbr)
    Do some reading on the forums . . . your second option (i.e. smaller and more suitable beginner bike) is the best for your own safety and for your pocketbook. Consider the SS when you have gained experience on a less powerful bike, and when the premiums are drastically less. The resale on starter bikes will always remain high, so your will get most of your money back when the time comes to sell.

Also, don't forget to save money for gear.

Good luck.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

SV650S FTinsuranceW. $1668 my first year.. $1060 for this one coming up. I am over 25 also, however.
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

GambleVII

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    Do some reading on the forums . . . your second option (i.e. smaller and more suitable beginner bike) is the best for your own safety and for your pocketbook. Consider the SS when you have gained experience on a less powerful bike, and when the premiums are drastically less. The resale on starter bikes will always remain high, so your will get most of your money back when the time comes to sell.

Also, don't forget to save money for gear.

Good luck.
    Well its not a SS. its a 650 r its a sport tourer an ex650r. It should be in the same class as the sv 650.

I mean the bars are soo high its less sporty then a tourer.

Well its not a SS. its a 650 r its a sport tourer an ex650r. It should be in the same class as the sv 650.

I mean the bars are soo high its less sporty then a tourer.
    Most companies are now treating "Sport" and "Sport Touring" as being the same thing now.

I would start on something smaller, and upgrade next year when you are 25 and have a year of experience . . . the rates will be much cheaper then.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

GambleVII

Most companies are now treating "Sport" and "Sport Touring" as being the same thing now.

I would start on something smaller, and upgrade next year when you are 25 and have a year of experience . . . the rates will be much cheaper then.
    Yes that was one of my options.

But factoring.. buying the bike... ins for 1 year... Selling the bike... buying a new bike... insurance on that.

Might come out to be more then buying a bike you can keep for over a year.

Yes that was one of my options.

But factoring.. buying the bike... ins for 1 year... Selling the bike... buying a new bike... insurance on that.

Might come out to be more then buying a bike you can keep for over a year.

What is costing you money in that sequence of events? The only thing you really lose is the tax on the bike, but the MTO charges tax on the declared value anyways. You will save significantly more than you will be losing.

I can tell you that you will be out a lot more money if you dump a shiny new 600cc SS than if you dump a Ninja 250. You would be surprised at how often people go down in the first year of riding, whether it be minor or major . . . almost everyone has a story.

GambleVII

What is costing you money in that sequence of events? The only thing you really lose is the tax on the bike, but the MTO charges tax on the declared value anyways. You will save significantly more than you will be losing.

I can tell you that you will be out a lot more money if you dump a shiny new 600cc SS than if you dump a Ninja 250. You would be surprised at how often people go down in the first year of riding, whether it be minor or major . . . almost everyone has a story.
    Well heres how i did some math.

650r buy it for xxxx..
    insurance for xxxx
    2nd year insurance goes down by xxxx
    3rd year insurance xxxx
    4th year upgrade.

Or

Cbr 125r for xxxx
    insurance for cbr xxxx
    2nd year sell cbr 125r for xxxx
    buy bigger bike for more xxxx
    insurance for bigger bike same price or going up if its a sport xxxx.

I lose the money on the sale and purchase of a newer bike since it be an upgrade after a year.

Im not buying a new 600cc ss. Im purchasing a used 650r. Would never buy a new bike for a first year. Also hope to minor damage if i go down.

Well heres how i did some math.

650r buy it for xxxx..
    insurance for xxxx
    2nd year insurance goes down by xxxx
    3rd year insurance xxxx
    4th year upgrade.

Or

Cbr 125r for xxxx
    insurance for cbr xxxx
    2nd year sell cbr 125r for xxxx
    buy bigger bike for more xxxx
    insurance for bigger bike same price or going up if its a sport xxxx.

I lose the money on the sale and purchase of a newer bike since it be an upgrade after a year.

Im not buying a new 600cc ss. Im purchasing a used 650r. Would never buy a new bike for a first year. Also hope to minor damage if i go down.
    Sorry, I don't see how your math is adding up. You will save about $2000 in insurance in the first year. Next year, you will sell the smaller bike for about $500 less than what you paid, and this leaves you with an extra $1500 in your pocket for a REALLY nice second bike, and matching gear

GambleVII

Sorry, I don't see how your math is adding up. You will save about $2000 in insurance in the first year. Next year, you will sell the smaller bike for about $500 less than what you paid, and this leaves you with an extra $1500 in your pocket for a REALLY nice second bike, and matching gear
    Heh yeah but if i buy a really nice bike for lets say 7k. So 5k out of my pocket toward that bike.

Thats like buying a 7.5k bike this year. to have for longer periods.

I considered buying smaller, and am going to look into the gs500f as its more powerfull then a 125r cheaper then a 250r. But the ex650r is a decent choice i think.

I would assume it would be like a sv650s they are kind of in the same boat, and people say that its a great starter bike.

Heh yeah but if i buy a really nice bike for lets say 7k. So 5k out of my pocket toward that bike.

Thats like buying a 7.5k bike this year. to have for longer periods.

I considered buying smaller, and am going to look into the gs500f as its more powerfull then a 125r cheaper then a 250r. But the ex650r is a decent choice i think.

I would assume it would be like a sv650s they are kind of in the same boat, and people say that its a great starter bike.
    Sorry, but I still don't follow your logic. Try these two scenarios:

SCENARIO #1:
    • Buy a GS500f for $4000 today
    • Pay $1000 to insure for a year
    • Sell the GS500f for $3500 next season
    • Buy 2005 Sport Bike for $6000 next season (they will have depreciated more over the course of the year than your starter bike)
    • Overall you have paid $4000 + $1000 - $3500 + $6000 = $7500
    • You own a 2005 Sport Bike at the beginning of next season

SCENARIO #2:
    • Buy 2005 Sport Bike for $7000 today
    • Pay $3000 to insure for a year
    • Overall you have paid $7000 + $3000 = $10000

In both scenarios, you have a 2005 Sport Bike at the beginning of next season, but in the second scenario you are $2500 wealthier (which is a lot of gear money, or money for an even better bike!) Also, if you happen to dump the starter bike, it likely won't cost you as much as with the Sport bike. Also, your likelihood of dumping the starter bike as you learn to ride is drastically reduced compared to a Sport bike.

The GS500f is also an excellent starter bike, and you won't be stung with a Sport Bike surcharge because it is under 600cc. If I were starting into biking all over again, the GS500 would be near the top of my list, followed by the Ninja 250. The CBR125 is a little too small for my liking, but the Ninja 250 is plenty powerful enough.
    Last edited by VifferFun; 06-18-2009 at 07:36 PM.

GambleVII

Sorry, but I still don't follow your logic. Try these two scenarios:

SCENARIO #1:
    • Buy 2005 Sport Bike for $6000 next season (they will have depreciated more over the course of the year than your starter bike)

SCENARIO #2:
    • Buy 2005 Sport Bike for $7000 today
    • Pay $3000 to insure for a year
    • Overall you have paid $7000 + $3000 = $10000

In both scenarios, you have a 2005 Sport Bike at the beginning of next season, but in the second scenario you are $2500 wealthier (which is a lot of gear money, or money for an even better bike!) Also, if you happen to dump the starter bike, it likely won't cost you as much as with the Sport bike. Also, your likelihood of dumping the starter bike as you learn to ride is drastically reduced compared to a Sport bike.

The GS500f is also an excellent starter bike, and you won't be stung with a Sport Bike surcharge because it is under 600cc. If I were starting into biking all over again, the GS500 would be near the top of my list, followed by the Ninja 250. The CBR125 is a little too small for my liking, but the Ninja 250 is plenty powerful enough.
    Actually the 650r im buying is more toward 4500. So lets do your scenario again.

SCENARIO #2:
    • Buy 2006 Sport Bike for $4500 today
    • Pay $2300 to insure for a year
    • Overall you have paid $4500 + $2300 = $6800
    • You own a 2006 Sport Bike at the beginning of next season

Except i dont have the hassle of going though taxes twice, and uvip + cert.

In scenario a my insurance should also be raised higher because if I upgraded after a year i would probably buy a SS bike instead of just a sport touring bike. Compared to a 650r now which will drop the insurance to near 1k after the first year.

Compared to the sv650 the 650r has 4 more cc. but 1.5 less hp. Im not startign on a cbr f4i or a zx6r or r6.

Financially option b comes out a little better over time. Though i need to have a decent starter bike and its not the best but its not like a 600cc.
    Last edited by GambleVII; 06-18-2009 at 08:24 PM.

You forgot to modify Scenario A for your choice of bike. If the bike you are interested in now is $4500, it will be even cheaper next season:

SCENARIO #1 (Modified):
    • Buy 2006 Sport Bike for $3900 next season (they will have depreciated more over the course of the year than your starter bike)
    • Overall you have paid $4000 + $1000 - $3500 + $3900 = $5400

SCENARIO #2 (Modified):

You are still saving about $1400, which is still a lot of gear money, or would allow you to buy an even newer model next season. Taxes are on declared value (which most people write up as less than actual value), the UVIP is $20, and the certification is about $60. In total, you might incur about an extra $500 in expenses for these items, which means you are still saving about $1000.

In scenario a my insurance should also be raised higher because if I upgraded after a year i would probably buy a SS bike instead of just a sport touring bike. Compared to a 650r now which will drop the insurance to near 1k after the first year.
    You know this IS within your control

Financially option b comes out a little better over time. Though i need to have a decent starter bike and its not the best but its not like a 600cc.
    As I have shown above, Scenario #2 will actually leave you worse off financially, but no one can put a price tag on intangible desires In the end, it's up to you. I'm sure that whatever you get, you will be happy. Shopping for a bike is half the fun! Enjoy!
    Last edited by VifferFun; 06-18-2009 at 08:35 PM.

GambleVII

You forgot to modify Scenario A for your choice of bike. If the bike you are interested in now is $4500, it will be even cheaper next season:

SCENARIO #1 (Modified):
    • Buy 2006 Sport Bike for $3900 next season (they will have depreciated more over the course of the year than your starter bike)
    • Overall you have paid $4000 + $1000 - $3500 + $3900 = $5400

SCENARIO #2 (Modified):

You are still saving about $1400, which is still a lot of gear money, or would allow you to buy an even newer model next season. Taxes are on declared value (which most people write up as less than actual value), the UVIP is $20, and the certification is about $60. In total, you might incur about an extra $500 in expenses for these items, which means you are still saving about $1000.

You know this IS within your control

As I have shown above, Scenario #2 will actually leave you worse off financially, but no one can put a price tag on intangible desires In the end, it's up to you. I'm sure that whatever you get, you will be happy. Shopping for a bike is half the fun! Enjoy!
    Actually in scenario 1 I would buy a bike a little more powerfull then the 650r liek an actual supersport which would cost alot more thats why I left the 7-8k in scenario 1.

with scenario 2 i was hoping of keeping the 650r for 3 seaons then getting a gsx-r 600.

Declared value.. good question how low can i go on a 2006 650r?

Actually in scenario 1 I would buy a bike a little more powerfull then the 650r liek an actual supersport which would cost alot more thats why I left the 7-8k in scenario 1.

with scenario 2 i was hoping of keeping the 650r for 3 seaons then getting a gsx-r 600.

Declared value.. good question how low can i go on a 2006 650r?
    As I said, it is up to YOU whether or not you want to get a 650r or a 600SS a year from today. You have to compare apples to apples, and that is exactly what I did. This is Cost-Benefit Analysis 101 here.

As I also mentioned, it's all up to you which bike you ultimately decide to purchase . . . I'm just telling you the options as they stand without sugar coating them

I read in your other post in the General forum that you are concerned with the bike's "look". This is understandable, but remember that a beginners bike is not your last bike. Anyways, I think the GS500f is a pretty sweet looking bike, and you should really consider it an option. If money is no obstacle, then do what you please.

Your declared value should be reasonable. I personally declare exactly what I pay, but I'm the type of person who is paranoid of fraud convictions. It is tax evasion, and could get you into a lot of trouble (although it is unlikely).

GambleVII

As I said, it is up to YOU whether or not you want to get a 650r or a 600SS a year from today. You have to compare apples to apples, and that is exactly what I did. This is Cost-Benefit Analysis 101 here.

As I also mentioned, it's all up to you which bike you ultimately decide to purchase . . . I'm just telling you the options as they stand without sugar coating them

I read in your other post in the General forum that you are concerned with the bike's "look". This is understandable, but remember that a beginners bike is not your last bike. Anyways, I think the GS500f is a pretty sweet looking bike, and you should really consider it an option. If money is no obstacle, then do what you please.

Your declared value should be reasonable. I personally declare exactly what I pay, but I'm the type of person who is paranoid of fraud convictions. It is tax evasion, and could get you into a lot of trouble (although it is unlikely).
    Very true. I have looked on all options from getting a cbr 125r... to a 250r to the gs 500f to older bikes and aswell as the 650r.

The bike look is more to do with how the older styles of bikes are more boxy and the lines of it. Its not a big deal but just how it is. And that was more toward a ex500 is just visualy displeasing may not be the last bike but you do have to look at it.

The gs 500 is a nice looking bike and it is between the gs 500 and the 650r. Its all down to them 2 apples.