stuck at work :( rectifier? 06' R6

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: stuck at work :( rectifier? 06' R6

Thumbs down stuck at work :( rectifier? 06' R6

So I took my r6 to work today, and just as i was pulling in to the parking lot ... Engine light came on... i turned the bike off... ENGINE CODE 46.

I did some online search...came out to be charging system failure - power not normal. I can't start the bike. It makes hell of a buzzing noise ( probably from the rectifier or battery....) i don't have the right tools with me to even take off the seat !! grrrr...... (i took wrong screw driver into the rear seat compartment.)

has anyone ever experienced the error 46 on their r6's ?..
    Any one has a solution for me?
    damn, sucks to be stuck at work. :@

Re: stuck at work :( rectifier? 06' R6

Damn, im still at work... thinking how to fix this:

Its the disconnected black box.... thingy. it has 2 fuses which aren't blown. it makes hell of a noise. electrical noise, like something is about to blow out..

i dont feel like pushing the bike from Bloor west village to Mississauga. damn.

get it figured out yet??? not sure what that code is as I am not familiar with the R6.....do the bike turn over? battery dead?

never had that code (or seen it for that matter). i don't think the code would appear if there was an issue with the battery itself, so it would have to be something internal with the motorcycle itself (ie: rectifier, like you said).
    The funk. The jive. The boogie. The rock and roll.

well i got lucky and found a place to store it for the night hopefully these " kind people" won't sell their business by tomorrow morning jokes.

well.. i asked for an advice on r6 forums, but no response as for now. Some people had this problems, however its not too clear what was their solution. what is that Box anyways ? (( ill download the user manual in 2 min sorry ))

Dunno about R6s, but if it is the rectifier, that's an easy fix and a ~$150 part (YMMV)

My motorbike came with a busted rectifier - it took me only 2 minutes to change it out, and 1:45 of that was figuring out how to physically secure it to the frame Can't tell you if it made any noise, cause my bike never came with a battery and I chose not to try starting it on the busted rectifier in case it busted things up worse.

My $0.0002 cents worth (worth what you paid for it)

So now it is clear that the Starter Relay is making the noise.... and most likely causes the trouble... hmm...

Does anyone know the shop on Bloor and Keel... its kind of Salvage Bikes Store/ repair shop or something like that. Any advice on them ? its close by so i would be willing to push the bike if ill stay clue less by the end of the night

(BTW is it legal to push it on a sidewalk anywyas?) (i know i should make another post in LAW section) just to save the ink*

Quote Originally Posted by Scigacz View Post
    So now it is clear that the Starter Relay is making the noise.... and most likely causes the trouble... hmm...

Does anyone know the shop on Bloor and Keel... its kind of Salvage Bikes Store/ repair shop or something like that. Any advice on them ? its close by so i would be willing to push the bike if ill stay clue less by the end of the night

(BTW is it legal to push it on a sidewalk anywyas?) (i know i should make another post in LAW section) just to save the ink*
    It's legal. We used to do it with dirt bikes. I'm thinking your battery is toast. It could be your rectifier..you'll have to test it. But keep in mind your battery may not be holding a charge.
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

I agree with you however if that would be just a battery why would I be getting the code 46, well hopefully it's an easy fix that will be fixed tomorrow, thanks for info,

LOL finally got home.

Quote Originally Posted by Scigacz View Post
    I agree with you however if that would be just a battery why would I be getting the code 46, well hopefully it's an easy fix that will be fixed tomorrow, thanks for info,

LOL finally got home.
    Because the computer can only measure certain characteristics in the charging system. If the battery is toast and causing the charging voltage to be very low the system might think that the alternator is not charging at all. Your description of the noise and now mentioning the starter solenoid making the noise is pointing me to a dead battery. Get it charged and see if that fixes the problem. If the battery won't charge then get a new one and again see if that fixes the problem. Once a good charged battery is in the bike you can check for code 46. With a good battery code 46 will most likely point to a charging issue.
    Wow, I didn't know we'd become such good friends, because if we had, you'd know that I give **** before I give favors and I don't even give my best friends **** so your chances of getting a favor are pretty ******* slim. - Go

I checked the voltage in the battery, 11.8... Little Too low isn't it? But i think its enough to start it...... Hmm...I think im going to take it out and charge it. (got to figure out how to take it out...)
    Last edited by Scigacz; 06-16-2009 at 12:55 PM.

Update, when I turn the ignition on voltage comes down to 10.3, and when I press the engine start button it goes down to 3.4....4.5..... Not more than 5..
    By the way how thehell do you remove the battery in r6 ... Jeeeez

Try bump starting it. It just might be your battery....

Yah, I got my hands on the jump starter. And boom, it worked... Damn I'm an idiot I know, I should of have done it last night.... Grrrr.. Anyways I let it idle for 5 min. Turn it off. Come back in half an hour, still works, come back home , make 3 stops on the way, always started, no problems. Hmmmm could it be something wrong with the charging system, or is that the battery for sure?By the way the engine code 46 dissapeared.

Are you sure you didn't just leave your lights on?
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

I think it's impossible to leave the lights on an 06 r6.

To remove the battery, remove the seat, remove the four bolts holding down the tank pivot bracket, remove the two side bolts that hold the tank to the frame (one on each side, you may have to remove the plastic side tank covers to do that), lift the back of the tank high enough to remove battery.

Edit: You may also want to remove the bolt holding the front of the airbox cover to the frame. I usually don't remove that one, but lifting the back of the tank high enough could crack the airbox cover without removing that bolt.
    Last edited by moosh009; 06-17-2009 at 01:39 AM.

Well after shutting down the engine the lights will stay on until you switch the ignition key, but never before turning the bike on, with ignition key on.

Well, i never did leave it on, key is always in my pocket.
    i will risk riding with the battery, as it seems good.... weird, i know.

thanks for the tips on how to remove the battery, ( they couldn't make it harder") lol,

So I didn't change the battery. I was riding whole day yesterday, and it didn't die on me even once, except, just as I was pulling in to my garage at night, my temperature was about 99, so I reved it a little so of goes up to around 101 and the ridiator fan turns on and cools the bike to like 97, as soon as I reved, boom same thing engine check light came on, I turn the bike off. And can't start it again.... (people on r6 forums said that last time the battery got drained because I turned off the engine and let the fan go on for few min) but this time I didn't do it and I'm in the same hole. Battery has 3 years. So stock from dealer. How many of you think it is the battery issue and not the charging system.?

Have in hands a multimeter (voltmeter), check the battery's volts before you start the bike, it should be at 12volts before start the bike and them with the bike running it should read between 14 to 15volts, this is, if your battery is good, if you are readding less than 12 volts before start but you have anough juice to start the bike then start it up (if you can't start it up using the start button then push start it), let it run for 10 minutes then shut it down and read the volts again. If your battery still read less than 12 volts, you may have a bad alternator , if you read at 12 volts, your alternator is good but your battery is not good (electrolights are too low). Time for a new battery.

I hope it helps you in some way.

ps: If you want to pass by my home at bloor street/dovercourt rd I'll take a look at your bike for you np.

thanks, ill do the testing in the morning