Superior coast?

Thread: Superior coast?

Superior coast?

Thinking about riding the coast of Lake Superior this summer and I'm looking for any advice from anyone whose done it before. What's a reasonable destination for Day 1 (coming from Newmarket), day 2, etc? Any motels I should look for? Places to eat? sights that simply must be seen?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Wherever you may roam
    May you own your road.

Re: Superior coast?

Have been between Sudbury and T Bay more times than I can remember. I would shoot for the Soo for the first day. Nothing much to see between Sudbury and the Soo. the two hotels I always stay at in the Soo are "The Water Tower Inn" or the Holiday Inn on the waterfront. Both are excellent hotels and will let you recover. The next day I would go as far as Wawa if I was going to stop often at such places as Montreal River gorge, Pancake Bay, Old Woman Bay, or to see the Indian Pictographs. The next day I would head for Scriber. Then finally T Bay.(Victoria Inn or Valhalla Inn are nice). There is a lot of beautiful scenery, so how far you make it every day depends on how much you want to stop. I would make sure that I booked my hotels in advance so you won't be scrambling for a room after supper. I would not ride at night because the threat of hitting a moose or bear on the road is too high. (another tale for another day). I lived halfway between the Soo and T bay for 14 years so if you need any other info PM me and I will try to help.
    Dave
    2000 ZX12R

"My Other Vehicle Is A Locomotive"

Thanks for the replies so far -- keep em' coming and as the time gets closer I'll probably be PMing for further details.

And apologies; one day after starting it I realized I have posted this twice -- the result of a crapped out internet connection during OP composition.
    Wherever you may roam
    May you own your road.

Wink Re: Superior coast?

My wife and I are doing this trip this summer. Starting in Toronto, we are going to Thunder Bay, then Kenora? and around that loop, then back through Thunder Bay and 11 over to Cochrane and down to Toronto again. WE're taking two weeks and trying to fit camping gear in with our clothes!

Dave

Nice motel just north of the Soo with a view of Batchewana Bay

Wawa has seen better times but I found an older motel that had newly renovated rooms.

Kenora can be busy.

Scenery from the highway is nice but in many places there isn't a decent shoulder if you want to stop and take a picture. Watch for scenic outlook parking areas.

Restaurants can have limited menus but if you ask around you sometimes get a pleasant surprise.