Сondo management @#$%& the brain with parking - Page 3

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Сondo management @#$%& the brain with parking

Re: Сondo management @#$%& the brain with parking

To the OP, just park your bike in the same spot as your vehicle. Keep throwing the letters they send you out. I used to live in a condo, I would get a letter for some stupid sh** at least every 2 months.

They really can't do anything. The letters are just used to scare you, I would get those letters all the time and I parked various bikes in my spot for three years. I used to all of the work on my car in my spot, everthing from oil changes/brake jobs/timing belts/water pumps etc... got letters for that too.

What I did was take a walk around the underground parking lot and record every other violation that i saw (ie. spots with trailers in them, boats/jet skis, vehicles that were un plated, vehicles that were leaking oil etc...) I filled a report with them telling them that once all of the other issues were resolved I would move my bike. In my case the condo superintendant had a fishing boat in his spot.

Quote Originally Posted by froghammer View Post
    First off, renters have no say whatsoever at board meetings. Secondly, have you ever been to a board meeting before?
    +1
    Thats what I meant in the first place. You have to realize that original concept of condos was meant as a shared ownership for residents and was not really meant to be for people who wanted to get into carefree landlording ie. blocked toilet, don't call me and get me out of bed..call the super who'll call me then bill me cause he does handyman work for cash on the side. Unfortuately, the need for newer rental housing stock in the GTA and a glut of small time speculators (hey, buddy, pay down my mortgage for me cause values ALWAYS go UP!!) has produced the absentee condo landlord. Good luck if any of them understand the landlord tenant act, screen their tenants, never mind attend board meetings, or inspect their rental units or even visit the buildings. So when you rent a condo, you have some transferred rights through your lease (ie. rights to occupying the unit, rights to certain accesses, for instance the gym or pool), but not all of them, and you have all the restrictions.
    Plus, because you don't own, you don't have the board "working" for you (trust me, board members won't even listen to your complaint & you won't be invited to any annual --lets all gripe together--meetings) or the property management who's hired by the board (you're more of a pain to the property management cause you're someone else's responsibility).
    So really, you're sort of a nobody. Sorry for the long answer. But the best bet is keep a low profile, try to work some compromise with both your landlord and property management involved and seek their direction. Or look for a less upscale "pure rental" address.
    Got Torque?

Quote Originally Posted by twinn View Post
    They really can't do anything. The letters are just used to scare you, I would get those letters all the time and I parked various bikes in my spot for three years. I used to all of the work on my car in my spot, everthing from oil changes/brake jobs/timing belts/water pumps etc... got letters for that too.

What I did was take a walk around the underground parking lot and record every other violation that i saw (ie. spots with trailers in them, boats/jet skis, vehicles that were un plated, vehicles that were leaking oil etc...) I filled a report with them telling them that once all of the other issues were resolved I would move my bike. In my case the condo superintendant had a fishing boat in his spot.
    Twinn: that may have been your approach and maybe it worked for you. I don't think its the best especially if you're renting and want to stay there. Remember, they'll send copies of the complaint letters to the landlord, to get them bugged. Yes, they can do stuff like bill you (or your landlord) for any oil mess or any other mess you've left behind or any garbage that requires special disposal. Worst case scenario is that they start attributing violations to you and billing it...that oil mess over there...Twinn must have caused it because he's been seen doing oil changes. They can tow you out--at your expense. They can always send security around to hassle you if you're doing something they don't like or is in violation. . They can make your life miserable...if they want.
    Got Torque?

OP - I have the same problem with my management office, they want me to rent a separate parking space, just for my bike. ... garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by zoomerthe1 View Post
    Twinn: that may have been your approach and maybe it worked for you. I don't think its the best especially if you're renting and want to stay there. Remember, they'll send copies of the complaint letters to the landlord, to get them bugged. Yes, they can do stuff like bill you (or your landlord) for any oil mess or any other mess you've left behind or any garbage that requires special disposal. Worst case scenario is that they start attributing violations to you and billing it...that oil mess over there...Twinn must have caused it because he's been seen doing oil changes. They can tow you out--at your expense. They can always send security around to hassle you if you're doing something they don't like or is in violation. . They can make your life miserable...if they want.
    I sit on a condo board and had the same problem with my bike in my own building. The worst case scenario is they will start a legal action against the actual owner because you, as his guest essentially, are violating the by laws of the condo.

One other solution is to ask neighbours who own a spot but no car if you can park there. Maybe for a small fee or a bottle of wine (as is my case).

^^ abottle of wine? parking spot rental in my building now goes for minimum $150/month.

I have a similar issue with being allowed to park 2 bikes in one spot and am working on a solution. every building is different and has their own levels of enforcement and potential legal action. Find out what they will and won't do. Talk to other residents. You might just find a solution that doesn't involve being a pest as a previous poster suggested.
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

It takes a lot of legal work to get them to bill you for stuff like that.
    They used to send over security every time I was working on my car/bike, the guys would just joke around with me as I knew them well. As for towing, that never, ever happens. My old condo was patrolled by Toronto Parking authority, they never gave tickets to owner/tenant occupied spots, just vistors or people parked in Fire route.

Condo boards are somewhat toothless, its kind of an honor system were they write you a letter and tell you to stop. Even if I am in violation of the rules, (ie, I was fixing my car etc.. there is no proof it was me, could have been my buddies, my twin brother, anyone really.

To the OP, just relax, its only a letter. Park it in your spot, stay away from common elements as those belong to everyone in the building, ie, stairways,hallways,walkways are all common elements.

Quote Originally Posted by shanekingsley View Post
    ^^ abottle of wine? parking spot rental in my building now goes for minimum $150/month.

I have a similar issue with being allowed to park 2 bikes in one spot and am working on a solution. every building is different and has their own levels of enforcement and potential legal action. Find out what they will and won't do. Talk to other residents. You might just find a solution that doesn't involve being a pest as a previous poster suggested.
    Its not about being a pest, its about what is right. Condo boards always have favortism issues, I am all for following the rules, but howcome I am the only guy in the building( I checked their records and I was the only person to get a parking complaint) that gets a letter for sharing my spot with my car and bike when there are at least 10 other bikes/ 2 jet skis/ 1 fishing boat/3 trailers/ 6 cars without plates. Two spots over a guy had his bike in the same spot for 10 years without a complaint, right across from my spot there was Honda Goldwing that has been parking in common elements for 6 years.

Fair is fair, but there is no way I am going to be the only guy in the condo forking over $125-150 month for an extra parking spot. Right after I started getting letters for the parking spot thing, I get letters compaining about loud music coming from my unit on weekends when I was out of town and my condo was empty. Come on, if thats how its going to be, then I could play dirty too.

Ok, folks, it seems to be resolved.

I've parked my beauty in the front of the car. They both fit very nice in the parking spot and if I put a cover on the bike then it will be totally unquestionable parking.

Anyway, there is somebody in 2 meters who parks a nice Vespa along with a car.

So, the question is closed (I hope).

I'll have to start car engine another couple of hundreds time during the next year - who cares when the respect should be played to the freaking rules.

Just thinking about writing an article to TheStart or any other newspaper about our management freaking approach to problem-solving and neglecting global-climate change agenda by forcing me to move the car aroung a spot for no reason except "The Rules"

Thanks everybody who gave advices, without the help I would feel frustrated.

Cheers and happy riding!

Quote Originally Posted by twinn View Post
    It takes a lot of legal work to get them to bill you for stuff like that.
    They used to send over security every time I was working on my car/bike, the guys would just joke around with me as I knew them well. As for towing, that never, ever happens. My old condo was patrolled by Toronto Parking authority, they never gave tickets to owner/tenant occupied spots, just vistors or people parked in Fire route.

Condo boards are somewhat toothless, its kind of an honor system were they write you a letter and tell you to stop. Even if I am in violation of the rules, (ie, I was fixing my car etc.. there is no proof it was me, could have been my buddies, my twin brother, anyone really.

To the OP, just relax, its only a letter. Park it in your spot, stay away from common elements as those belong to everyone in the building, ie, stairways,hallways,walkways are all common elements.
    Ok here's where we differ.
    It doesn't take a lot of legal work to write complaint letters, the condo board will have a lawyer on retainer. It might take more effort to get a judgment or lien against the unit, but it is doable. Its certainly done when the unit is in maintenance arears. Security works for the condo management, not for the residents, so while they might be cozy with you, realize when they're told to step, they will. Most security guards (their companies) have obtained the authority to write tickets for parking violations. Most condos have a contract with a towing company. Yes, you might get umpteen million notices, but at some magic point your vehicle might disappear (I know cause I've seen it). As for your defintion of common elements, it's too simplified. Your balcony is usually a common element with exclusive access. Otherwise the owner would have to pay to repair it.
    Parking is a whole other issue. It can be deeded to the property as a defined spot, it can be deeded as an undefined spot, it could have been a separate purchase by the original owner, it can be leased/rented from the property management--the latter being more common in newer buildings as its an ongoing source of income. As a renter, you may not know the exact status of your parking space. As a renter you probably haven't read or been given a copy of all the restrictions associated with living in your unit (and parking space).
    I'm glad the OP seems to have come to a resolution of his issues. I think this should be a warning to everyone living in a condo or going to live in a condo who automatically figures that if I buy a bike, I can park it how and where I please, isn't necessarily so. Its better to investigate before you move in or get the bike.
    Last edited by zoomerthe1; 06-10-2009 at 09:45 AM.
    Got Torque?

Quote Originally Posted by roks View Post
    Ok, folks, it seems to be resolved.

I've parked my beauty in the front of the car. They both fit very nice in the parking spot and if I put a cover on the bike then it will be totally unquestionable parking.

Anyway, there is somebody in 2 meters who parks a nice Vespa along with a car.

So, the question is closed (I hope).

I'll have to start car engine another couple of hundreds time during the next year - who cares when the respect should be played to the freaking rules.

Just thinking about writing an article to TheStart or any other newspaper about our management freaking approach to problem-solving and neglecting global-climate change agenda by forcing me to move the car aroung a spot for no reason except "The Rules"

Thanks everybody who gave advices, without the help I would feel frustrated.

Cheers and happy riding!
    Another upside is that blocking in your bike with your car adds another level of security against theft.
    There is no planet B.

Cool. Lots of info as I too live in a condo (Midland/Danforth Rd) and am soon buying a bike. I am renter, not an owner. The first thing I will do is ask the management for a Condo rules/regulations guide and see what that stipulates. Based on what in that document, I will pick a strategy to approach the management.

One question I have is....and don't laugh please (lol): is the bike (Star 950, 615lbs) heavy enough to actually open the gate/arm when exiting a condo parking area? I always wondered.......

Cheers!

Should be. My FZ6 is heavy enough to trigger both the garage door and the main exit gate.
    There is no planet B.

Quote Originally Posted by kmawani View Post
    Cool. Lots of info as I too live in a condo (Midland/Danforth Rd) and am soon buying a bike. I am renter, not an owner. The first thing I will do is ask the management for a Condo rules/regulations guide and see what that stipulates. Based on what in that document, I will pick a strategy to approach the management.

One question I have is....and don't laugh please (lol): is the bike (Star 950, 615lbs) heavy enough to actually open the gate/arm when exiting a condo parking area? I always wondered.......

Cheers!

i don't think it's activated by weight. it's probably activated by a magnetic induction coil under the area just behind the gait. the question is do you have enough metal to activate it. If it is an induction coil and the bike wont trip it, you can stick a magnet onto your kick stand to activate the system. just a guess.
    ~=Big Daddy of the Dope Dragons MC=~

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

Thanks for the info. If it is or isn't weight activated....I guess I will find out.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by kmawani View Post

Cheers!
    If you can get a copy of the rules & regs, do so. Condos now usually charge a fee for printing them or providing anything printed. Depending on your relationship with your landlord, see if you can get them on your side first. They should be as they're collecting your rent. An approach might be to ask the landlord, they will have a copy of the rules and regs from when they bought. If they don't know, then have them approach the management either with you or on your behalf. The last thing you want to do is get everyone p'd off with you, even if its news you don't like. Let us know your results.

lThe other question: if there's room just ride around the gate arm when entering/exiting (if there's a gate house meet with security when you start riding and then give them a nice wave when you enter), but be careful and courteous with other traffic. As for in ground sensors, they can be unpredictable as to what they will respond to.
    Last edited by zoomerthe1; 06-10-2009 at 01:42 PM.
    Got Torque?

My condo is also loose on the bike parking, lots of bikes parked against the wall with the car.
    In fact, my management doesn't really give a rat's *** about the residents parking lot. Actually they don't for a lot of things..

i park 1 car and 2 bikes on my spot. next to the condo board prez's beemer. she now wants a kawi 250. life is good.
    where's the wind?!

If you can get a copy of the rules & regs, do so. Condos now usually charge a fee for printing them or providing anything printed. Depending on your relationship with your landlord, see if you can get them on your side first. They should be as they're collecting your rent. An approach might be to ask the landlord, they will have a copy of the rules and regs from when they bought. If they don't know, then have them approach the management either with you or on your behalf. The last thing you want to do is get everyone p'd off with you, even if its news you don't like. Let us know your results.

The other question: if there's room just ride around the gate arm when entering/exiting (if there's a gate house meet with security when you start riding and then give them a nice wave when you enter), but be careful and courteous with other traffic. As for in ground sensors, they can be unpredictable as to what they will respond to.
    I believe nor landlord nor management want to bother themselves with a stupid bike - why the hell he is buying it - we have rules-please-follow-them-and-smile and so on. They just give a damn about anything and especially what they consider as outstanding requests.

I've just run into such situation before, and bike parking is the third time when they are trying to make my life tough for no reason (rules!).

When I badly needed Internet connection in my new apartment here then nobody just didn't want anything to do. Nor landlord, nor management. I have to find Bell technicial myself to fix this freaking phone line, it took 1 month.

It's amazing actually how ridiculously complicated life is in condos here.
    For me personally it was just excellent experience to stay away from it in the future.

Roman

If they won't let you park in the underground, why don't you just take the bike in the elevator and park it in your hallway or balcony. Make sure they take note