Too much oil bad? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Too much oil bad?

Re: Too much oil bad?

As a side-note, for someone who is asking about whether an extra 300mL of oil is going to cause your bike to start running poorly after 400kms, you should probably lighten up on calling any tech guy at any bike shop a "****ing idiot".
    Mikey-D - Ottawa

"And yes, this is a site for people who ride bikes. But we don't ride bikes on this site. You can't ride a bike on the internet. On this site, we WRITE and READ about motorcycles." --Duster929

Great point.

If you can't do it yourself. What gives you the right to call the guy who did it an idiot?
    Cell phones, GPS, DVD, Food, Drinks, Kids, Smokes, Make Up, Lipstick, News Papers, CB, Ham Radio, FM Radio, CD, MP3, Work papers, Books, Lap tops, Camcorders,
    THINGS THAT DON'T
    BELONG IN A CAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey-D View Post
    As a side-note, for someone who is asking about whether an extra 300mL of oil is going to cause your bike to start running poorly after 400kms, you should probably lighten up on calling any tech guy at any bike shop a "****ing idiot".
    He claims to to have put 2L. All i know is that the bike felt like **** the first time i pulled away. I claim him an idiot because he went ahead and poured whatever amount without actually looking or knowing how much the bike takes.

I feel that i could have done a better job just by following the exact steps in the manual, but i brought it in to keep the warrenty. Lesson learned. F the warrenty, i'll stick to my own bike maitenance and in the long run i'll be better off.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

I've blown a seal with too much oil on one bike and done absolutely nothing on another one. What's it going to cost to drain and refill?
    I'm sure that it would be less than replacing a seal or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    I've blown a seal with too much oil on one bike and done absolutely nothing on another one. What's it going to cost to drain and refill?
    I'm sure that it would be less than replacing a seal or two.

What specific "seal" did you blow as a result of too much oil?

How much too much? (how many ml's overfull).

I'll bet it was either the counte shaft seal or the clutch rod seal.
    Cell phones, GPS, DVD, Food, Drinks, Kids, Smokes, Make Up, Lipstick, News Papers, CB, Ham Radio, FM Radio, CD, MP3, Work papers, Books, Lap tops, Camcorders,
    THINGS THAT DON'T
    BELONG IN A CAR.

Quote Originally Posted by 250Rocket View Post
    How bad is it to over fill the oil?

Went in for maitenance and the ****ers put an idiot to work on my bike. ****ing idiot ended up putting way to much. Went back and they syphoned out some but it's still above the full line in the looking glass. Now my turn to be the idiot was when I took this as being ok after their explanation. Now 400 km later my bike is making subtle noises. The oil light hasn't come on but i'm starting to think it might be that.

Is it bad for the bike?.... Should i do an oil change right away or just let some of it out? I swear if this ruined my bike even the least.
    Too much oil can indeed do damage, it can raise the oil pressure and blow seals.

Quote Originally Posted by Low rider View Post
    I'll bet it was either the counte shaft seal or the clutch rod seal.
    The crankcase is vented to the airbox (usually)..

You'd have to overfill the crap (like 200% plus) for that to happen.

Sorry, my typing gets ahead of me sometimes.
    I left the -r- off of counter shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by djltoronto View Post
    The crankcase is vented to the airbox (usually)..

You'd have to overfill the crap (like 200% plus) for that to happen.
    THINGS THAT DON'T
    BELONG IN A CAR.