Too much oil bad?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too much oil bad?

Too much oil bad?

How bad is it to over fill the oil?

Went in for maitenance and the ****ers put an idiot to work on my bike. ****ing idiot ended up putting way to much. Went back and they syphoned out some but it's still above the full line in the looking glass. Now my turn to be the idiot was when I took this as being ok after their explanation. Now 400 km later my bike is making subtle noises. The oil light hasn't come on but i'm starting to think it might be that.

Is it bad for the bike?.... Should i do an oil change right away or just let some of it out? I swear if this ruined my bike even the least.

Re: Too much oil bad?

Try using a turkey baster to suck some more out till it's at the right level.Might be a good idea to check your airbox and see if the crankcase vent pumped some oil in there.No need to change the oil.I doubt that any damage was done.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

Quote Originally Posted by Wingboy View Post
    Try using a turkey baster to suck some more out till it's at the right level.Might be a good idea to check your airbox and see if the crankcase vent pumped some oil in there.No need to change the oil.I doubt that any damage was done.

Will do, but will the baster go deep enough to get any?

Quote Originally Posted by 250Rocket View Post
    Will do, but will the baster go deep enough to get any?

Just put a piece of tubing on the end.

Befor we go all crazy here.

You may not be checking your oil the correct way.

Explain how you're checking it please.
    Cell phones, GPS, DVD, Food, Drinks, Kids, Smokes, Make Up, Lipstick, News Papers, CB, Ham Radio, FM Radio, CD, MP3, Work papers, Books, Lap tops, Camcorders,
    THINGS THAT DON'T
    BELONG IN A CAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Low rider View Post
    Befor we go all crazy here.

You may not be checking your oil the correct way.

Explain how you're checking it please.
    Level, like when you sit on the bike, when it off. It's enough to fill the whole looking glass. The ****ing idiot told me it would be ok and me being the noob i believed him, now my bikes not running well.

actually, before you check the level, make sure you run the bike in idle until it warms up 1-2min. then level and check. that would be the proper level. just curious how much extra did he put in originally and how long did /km did you ride the bike?

Quote Originally Posted by apstndp View Post
    actually, before you check the level, make sure you run the bike in idle until it warms up 1-2min. then level and check. that would be the proper level. just curious how much extra did he put in originally and how long did /km did you ride the bike?
    Wait should the level be checked while the bike is running, i was told when it's off.

But supposidly he put in 2L needing only 1.7L dry. Took out some but it's still over the line. 400 km as OP states.

Wait should the level be checked while the bike is running, i was told when it's off.

But supposidly he put in 2L needing only 1.7L dry. Took out some but it's still over the line. 400 km as OP states.

no, run 2 min then shut off and check the oil. 2L should not do any damage unless you bike was smoking.

You're still not telling me how your checking it.
    Does the bike have a centre stand?
    Are you checking it on the side stand?

How are you checking it?
    Cell phones, GPS, DVD, Food, Drinks, Kids, Smokes, Make Up, Lipstick, News Papers, CB, Ham Radio, FM Radio, CD, MP3, Work papers, Books, Lap tops, Camcorders,
    THINGS THAT DON'T
    BELONG IN A CAR.

no, run 2 min then shut off and check the oil. 2L should not do any damage unless you bike was smoking.
    Smoking how? Literally or figuratively, cause i did run it to 11k a few times (less than 10) over the 400 km where redline is at 13k.

Quote Originally Posted by Low rider View Post
    You're still not telling me how your checking it.
    Does the bike have a centre stand?
    Are you checking it on the side stand?

How are you checking it?
    I've tried 2 ways. 1) Proping it up on a block from the side stand and checking and 2) Getting my brother to sit on it level it out and check it.

Ok, that's right.
    If it's still over the full level, you should drain some then

I usually just put a drip ban under the oil drain plug and let some drip out as I hold the plug close by to spin it back in when I want.

It's a dirty job. But it's got to be done.
    THINGS THAT DON'T
    BELONG IN A CAR.

Smoking how? Literally or figuratively, cause i did run it to 11k a few times (less than 10) over the 400 km where redline is at 13k.

smoke as in yo see smoke like crazy coming out of ur exhaust. But from the sound of it you are not, so you are fine. if oil is above the line, i wouldn't worry about it. remember when your bike is running, that level will go down alot as oil is circulating so it is good. if he overfilled it like 1-2L then i would drain it.
    Last edited by apstndp; 06-07-2009 at 01:12 AM.

Checking it cold is fine too I think. Anyhow. Too much oil is bad. I made the mistake of leaving too much oil in my cases one time. Never again will i do that. The bike was such a dog, when i pulled the clutch in and coasted for short distances it would stall. I had to then open the oil fill cap to relieve some pressure so the bike could start again. Then I was like w/e I gotta get home i'll deal with this there. I hope on the highway, 1st gear ok, 2nd gear ok, 3 gear ok, 4th wtf where is my power why can't i rev past 9k? 5th can't rev past 8k... 6th bike starts dieing and can't maintain any speed. So I just drove for an hour and a half in 5th gear 8K rpm lol.

smoke as in yo see smoke like crazy coming out of ur exhaust. But from the sound of it you are not, so you are fine. if oil is above the line, i wouldn't worry about it. remember when your bike is running, that level will go down alot as oil is circulating so it is good. if he overfilled it like 1-2L then i would drain it.
    That level is used to indicate how much you should have before running. Also running the bike for a couple minutes will make it appear as though you have less oil in your bike. You are supposed to wait for it to drip back into the oil pan. I had my bike overfilled by about ~500ml maybe less and it gave me problems.

To address your original question, yes too much oil is bad. It produces some pressures inside crankcase and put some undo strain on mechanical bits. It can get pushed up into the airbox and possibly clog some venting/pollution valves.
    This would be why they bother to put the max fill line on the glass/dipstik.

BUT permanent damage is unlikely, but if your feeling sluggish behaviour check airbox and filters/vents to be sure they didnt collect some extra oil. Take the excess oil out of your case case however your comfortable.
    Check the oil level before running the engine, if it was running wait at least 10 mins to check.

Without being a dick i'd mention the overfill to your service guy, his tech is giving away free extra oil..........

they probably charged for the extra oil anyways.

too much extra oil can damage the engine from the excessive stress the extra oil will add on the engine parts that have to move through it at higher RPM's.

Oil should be allowed to settle back into the oil pan for several minutes before you check it. If you check it while the engine is running or just after running the engine, a lot of the oil will be up in the engine, and you won't get a consistent reading
    ~=Big Daddy of the Dope Dragons MC=~

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

Quote Originally Posted by BusaBob View Post
    they probably charged for the extra oil anyways.

too much extra oil can damage the engine from the excessive stress the extra oil will add on the engine parts that have to move through it at higher RPM's.

Oil should be allowed to settle back into the oil pan for several minutes before you check it. If you check it while the engine is running or just after running the engine, a lot of the oil will be up in the engine, and you won't get a consistent reading
    You are talking about litres of extra oil, not the .3l he is talking about. Once the engine starts, the majority of the oil is not in the pan, it is being circulated about the system.

Unless you have so much oil in there that it still shows overful when the engine is running, it will not do anything. The crank would have to be running in the standing oil in order to have any effect. That would beat the oil to a froth, that froth would take up more room, and get pumped out the vent to the air cleaner by the NORMAL crankcase pressure.

If I was going to run the bike at redline on a regular basis, I would rather have that extra 15% of oil in there, less chance of the oil pump running the pan dry at 13k for an extended period of time.

2 liters of oil in a 250R is not going to do anything. Esp if you actually run a 12k change interval, your going to need that extra .3L.

Besides, they probably put two quarts in, not 2l, so its closer to 1.9L.