***front brake problem***

Thread: ***front brake problem***

***front brake problem***

so i loosened all the clips on the forks to adjust them and straighten them out, and removed the front tire. when i was going to return the front tire back on, i noticed that the brake pads were fully closed and would not open. and when i pulled the front brake in there was no tension whatsoever, almost like its not attached to anything. brake fluid is full so it cant be that.

what's the solution?
    with great power comes great responsibilties.

Re: ***front brake problem***

Sounds to me like you squeezed on the brake while wrangling with the handlebars....and in doing so put the brakes on....

You need to take the pads out and gentle with a pair of pliers (channel locks) squeeze the cylinder back in and then pop the pads back on.
    That should give you the space to get the wheel back in.

Take the cap off of the reservoir first......SLOWLY squeeze the caliper with a pair of pliers so there is enough space for the rotor...mount it and then do the other side.....if you try to do both sides before mounting you will find the side opposite the one you're working on will close again.

I wouldn't take the top off the reservoir. You just asking to get brake fluid everywhere.

You need to get the piston back into the caliper, use big channel locks or a C clamp, get the pads back in CORRECTLY and remount the caliper.
    You now have to, as in MUST, bleed the system because you squeezed the brake lever while it was dis-assembled and introduced air into the system.

Are you SURE you want to be screwing around with your brakes?

thanks for the input, messing with my brakes is damn scuuurry....

If the bike is fairly new you should be able to push on the pad against the piston by hand, and if it moved out on it's own it will go back in easy, it will move slowly until the piston is fully seated. Like mentioned above don't remove the master cover as it will push brake fluid all over the place. The brake fluid had to go down some as the piston moved out and it's wise to bleed the brakes once the caliper is back on, don't risk having air trapped in the line or caliper, you'll squeeze the brake once in a panic and won't have anything.

2008 Honda VTX 1300 C, Cobra Speedster Shorts, Kuryakyn Skull Ram Air, Kuryakyn Ergo Guards, Ultimate Seat. Flame thrower, don't stay too close.

hey guys, took the brakes completely off after bleeding them. so still the same problem....pistons are locked and won't open enough for me to put the brakes back on the discs. is there some reason why the pistons are so stubbornly stuck even with no fluid running through the brakes?

btw, its an 85 gsxr750

Quote Originally Posted by jebacca View Post
    hey guys, took the brakes completely off after bleeding them. so still the same problem....pistons are locked and won't open enough for me to put the brakes back on the discs. is there some reason why the pistons are so stubbornly stuck even with no fluid running through the brakes?

btw, its an 85 gsxr750

when you say completely off do you mean off the bike or just off the rotor? in other words are your lines still hooked up?

Check that the pistons are clean.
    "Bikes are an addiction for which there's no rehab

Quote Originally Posted by T~Bone View Post
    Take the cap off of the reservoir first......SLOWLY squeeze the caliper with a pair of pliers so there is enough space for the rotor...mount it and then do the other side.....if you try to do both sides before mounting you will find the side opposite the one you're working on will close again.
    I have to agree with this post more so than the others. Take the reservoir cap and seal off first. If you're absolutely stuck now that you've drained the system split the calipers apart and carefully push the pistons back in (after cleaning them w/ brake fluid).