Pulled over by OPP

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pulled over by OPP

Pulled over by OPP

I bought a dirt bike for riding at my cottage, and I drove to my cousins cottage witch is just 5 minutes up the lake, on the way back I took a different trail and got lost ended up taking me out to this road and I knew witch road it was and was less than a couple hundred feet from my home when a OOP cop pulled me over I was charged with driving no licence, driving no plates, and no insurance. I am 17 and took my whole life to pay for the bike in the first place, any suggestions?

This is my first offence and I have no record.

Banned

Re: Pulled over by OPP

wow.. if that sticks...you're screwed..

Quote Originally Posted by CR250rider View Post
    I bought a dirt bike for riding at my cottage, and I drove to my cousins cottage witch is just 5 minutes up the lake, on the way back I took a different trail and got lost ended up taking me out to this road and I knew witch road it was and was less than a couple hundred feet from my home when a OOP cop pulled me over I was charged with driving no licence, driving no plates, and no insurance. I am 17 and took my whole life to pay for the bike in the first place, any suggestions?

This is my first offence and I have no record.
    I would get a traffic ticket fighter and see if they can reduce the charges. Don't pay the tickets until you determine what you are going to do, since paying the ticket is admission of guilt.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

There all summons to court.

Must've been a really slow day for that cop. What a knob, as if he was never a teenager once. Sorry to hear of your plight but my experience with the OPP is that they never give you a break, by the book all the way. Go to court and explain what happened. There's no way you'll get convicted of all those charges. With no priors, you'll get off easy.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouch View Post
    Must've been a really slow day for that cop. What a knob, as if he was never a teenager once. Sorry to hear of your plight but my experience with the OPP is that they never give you a break, by the book all the way. Go to court and explain what happened. There's no way you'll get convicted of all those charges. With no priors, you'll get off easy.
    It was a girl, and she was a new cop.

Was she cute? Maybe you should have worked your magic

I agree with RetroGrouch . . . since you are young and were on a dirtbike and this is your first offense, I think the court should go easier on you.

I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

That explains a lot.

Long gone are the days when an officer gave you an education on why what you did was wrong and let you run along with a warning. If it weren't for the common sense of an officer when I was 16 things in my own riding career might have been a short one.

Does no one read these forums?

Going to court on your own, and telling your side of the story and praying the court will go easy on you is POINTLESS.

You do not get to talk to the judge, until after the crown has presented their case. If the crown presents a solid argument, it matters not what sympathy you try to evoke from the judge - he must remain impartial!!

So, go get a paralegal to work the case. In all likelyhood, some of the charges will be dropped, with a plea to one, unless there is a flaw in the case your paralegal can exploit and have all the charges withdrawn or dismissed (ie not actually on the road, but on the gravel/dirt shoulder).

Going and pleading for the courts forgiveness will only end you up pleading guilty with an explanation, which is still pleading guilty.

The court is all business. This isnt your mom you are trying to win over.

Resurrection

So the cop is a knob for doing her job, yet the rider is a victim of poor policing. Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmy View Post
    Going to court on your own, and telling your side of the story and praying the court will go easy on you is POINTLESS.
    I truly believe the provincial court is not in the business of giving the shaft to 17 year olds on dirtbikes that make an honest mistake. First person OP will encounter is the prosecutor and you don't need a paralegal to negotiate the charges.

I got a 425 dollar fine for no insurance on my ORV (off road vehicle) dirt bike when i was 18. i paid it and went on with life. but it sucked.
    If your gonna do stupid stuff you better be tough

Quote Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
    So the cop is a knob for doing her job, yet the rider is a victim of poor policing. Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Do you really feel the kid deserves to get all those charges? He did not do it intentionally. Cop was being overzealous. I once was in Gravenhurst and there was a bit of a traffic jam so I veered towards the center of the road at around 5 km/h to take a peek up ahead. Young woman OPP officer directing traffic pulls me over and said I should get a ticket because my front wheel crossed the centerline, at walking speed for crying out loud. Did I break the law? Yes I did, by the book. Did I deserve a ticket? No friggin' way. So there are circumstances to every situation.

Resurrection

Do you really feel the kid deserves to get all those charges? He did not do it intentionally. Cop was being overzealous. I once was in Gravenhurst and there was a bit of a traffic jam so I veered towards the center of the road at around 5 km/h to take a peek up ahead. Young woman OPP officer directing traffic pulls me over and said I should get a ticket because my front wheel crossed the centerline, at walking speed for crying out loud. Did I break the law? Yes I did, by the book. Did I deserve a ticket? No friggin' way. So there are circumstances to every situation.
    And you know this how? oh that's right he said it, now I feel really stupid, sorry OP my bad. again things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Resurrection

What seeing the traffic around was enough scenery for you , you had to look further ahead to see more. That's actually a pet peeve for me, when I'm on the 401 and we are in stop and go traffic, and the dork behind me pulls onto the shoulder to look ahead, I want to yell back at him, there's no traffic I'm just doing this to bug you, did it work?

Banned

you're mega screwed then... at least with some of the guy cops, they can relate to you...

Here we go again with Resurrection. I Bet you jump for joy everything ur friends write a ticket.

Resurrection

Quote Originally Posted by apstndp View Post
    Here we go again with Resurrection. I Bet you jump for joy everything ur friends write a ticket.
    How do you figure they're my friends, because I use logic when I post. You should try it some time, you may just like it.

OPP are real pricks up in cottaage country I got done last year with the same thing as they didnt beleive we were on a private road. Went to court, all got tossed, cop was lectured about reading signs and listening to the 'client'

First person OP will encounter is the prosecutor and you don't need a paralegal to negotiate the charges.
    Still a paralegal can help in getting a better deal. With charges like that I'd ask for professional help.
    I enjoy listening to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.