Vancouver to Tofino, how is it?

Thread: Vancouver to Tofino, how is it?

Vancouver to Tofino, how is it?

What are the roads like up island from Victoria? Is there a better way than the commercial ferries over to the island? How much does the 'circle' route add to the trip from the ferry, up and back?

Most important, how long to comfortably (6-7hrs/day) from Van to Tofino and back to Van?

Re: Vancouver to Tofino, how is it?

Quote Originally Posted by boy named suzi View Post
    What are the roads like up island from Victoria? Is there a better way than the commercial ferries over to the island? How much does the 'circle' route add to the trip from the ferry, up and back?

Most important, how long to comfortably (6-7hrs/day) from Van to Tofino and back to Van?
    Did you try Mapquest?

I did this drive (in a car) a few years back. I found it best to take the BC Ferry to Nanaimo rather than to Victoria. The drive from Nanaimo to Tofino is about 200 kms and there are lots of interesting stops along the way (Cathedral Forrest for one example). I think I took 5 hrs to make the drive on the way to Tofino. Coming back it took about 3 hrs since I didn't stop anywhere.

The drive itself was awesome, great roads and scenery.

Not sure there are any better ways to get to the Island and also not sure what you mean by the circle route, sorry.

^

Same with me. I was there 5 years ago, driving from Calgary to Tofino and back. As mentioned earlier, if you want to get from Vancouver to Tofino, you should the ferry to Nanaimo and ride from there. This will leave however, Victoria out of your route, and while the Victoria-Nanaimo ride is quite boring, BC's capital is definitely worth a visit.

The road between Port Albreni and Tofino is very twistly. It was the first time in my 20 yars of driving that I was getting dizzy. But the scenery was worth it.
    If it's too loud you're too old.

That is one crazy road. It is quite the scenic and twisty road heading west over the mountains to Tofino. I have done it numerous times in a car, never on a bike. To be honest, the roads are usually in such crap condition that you cannot take any of them with speed. Not to mention that it rains constantly there. 8 weekends spent there (surfing), only 1 day have I seen sunshine, and only once have I seen a motorbike making the crossing.
    2008 Honda VFR 800a
    2003 Yamaha R6 (sold)
    2000 GSXR 600 (sold)
    2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 (sold)
    1986 Suzuki GS 550 (retired)
    www.ecosparktech.com
    www.foodscrooge.com

It will take you a full day of riding to do Vancouver-Tofino and back.

Take the ferry from North Vancouver to Nanaimo.

Then ride all the way to Victoria if you have time in the end (I suggest this). Then reward yourself with a dinner buffet on the ferry.

BTW, the Nanaimo-Vancouver ferries are old and ******. The Victoria-Vancouver ferries are the new ones and are very comfortable. Just something to keep in mind when it's the end of the day and u have to spend 2 hrs on a ferry. Plus I believe the Victoria ferry route is more scenic. You might even see some whales, bald eagles, bears, etc on this route.

As others have said, Victoria is worth a look, the Nanaimo ferry costs a bit less but is a shorter boat ride but the run from Nanaimo to Vic is nice enough.

A big bonus right now is the forest industry is in the tank so less log trucks running around, they are big and hard to believe but seem to corner faster than most cars or bikes can.

The "hyway" out to tofino is the most hilly, twisty thing I've seen. Vic to Tofino took me 4 hrs with some looking around. When your that far out go see Uculet and Longbeach, its on the way sort of.

The weather changes fairly quick and the coastal rains are legendary, take wet gear.

That drive should be on every well traveled Canadians list.

BTW, if ur riding down from Nanaimo to Victoria, just before you hit Duncan, head over to Port Renfrew and then down to Victoria. This is the funner and more scenic part of the "circle route".

It's adds about an hour to your trip though.

...Not sure what sort of bike you're riding - but if its a touring bike get yourself to kennedy lake when you're in tofino (def would not want to make this sidetrip on my CBR). It's down a gravel road about 20min off the highway into tofino, and is a great camp spot or afternoon side trip. In town you should Definitely go to SoBo's and grab a few fish tacos. As for the drive - in summer it's usually dry, and in winter usually wet. It is an amazing road (I used to turn around and do it again for fun in my old gti when I lived in victoria...) - but has recently undergone maintenance to make it more boring for the american tourists in winnebagos. Exect a lot of traffic and people driving like snails. Definitely worth the drive.
    If you're going to be in Van and are looking for good drives... get past the traffic holdups on the 99, and continue past whistler to pemberton... another great twisty mountain rd. If you've got lots of time there's an epic loop that can be planned past pemberton and north, then east then south back to van.