OPP Officer Charged For Allegedly Falsifying Traffic Stops - Page 15

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: OPP Officer Charged For Allegedly Falsifying Traffic Stops

Re: OPP Officer Charged For Allegedly Falsifying Traffic Stops

damn. he should just sue on principle. can't believe they want to put a gag order on it.
    ~=Big Daddy of the Dope Dragons MC=~

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

Quote Originally Posted by froghammer View Post
    I'd sign that letter ONLY after the cheque cleared and I had letters and proof from both the police and my insurance company that it never existed.

But personally my response would be "I'll take my money and definitely will not be signing anything.".
    If one has an agreement, and and formal release is a part of it with a form of compensation, the agreement is null and void automatically if consideration is not made. No need to wait for the cheque to clear. If there is a default, it is easily actionable.

Quote Originally Posted by BusaBob View Post
    damn. he should just sue on principle. can't believe they want to put a gag order on it.
    Not a Gag order - a release. Or more fully, a Release of Liability. They want him to agree never to sue down the road for this instance.

A Gag order is a court order banning the printing or publication of specific case information, or even so far as to not to discuss a particular matter.

he's just happy that some action is finally being taken, and he'll recoup his costs; but again, he followed up with his lawyer and his lawyer said that it's no longer a traffic case and it's out of their area of expertise, if you will.
    It's the Least I Could Do

This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat.

Quote Originally Posted by nfq View Post
    Update as of today:

My friend got a letter today from the OPP that they'll fully refund his money, if he signs a release not to pursue further legal action for what transpired. Also, they are working on removing his suspension from his record.

They'll refund towing, storage and lawyer fees. The release is so that he doesn't sue them for what they did after he was ticketed.

I'll keep you posted if/when his suspension is removed.
    His damages are greater than a towing and impound bill, and legal costs.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    His damages are greater than a towing and impound bill, and legal costs.
    I'm feeling some pain and suffering coming along here somewhere. Gots to be some compensation for that.

--- D

Quote Originally Posted by Duster929 View Post
    I'm feeling some pain and suffering coming along here somewhere. Gots to be some compensation for that.

--- D
    I was thinking more in terms of the costs of having to get around without the use of his license or vehicle, which from the sounds of things wasn't being considered. If you want to go the pain and suffering route though, then there's the damage to reputation. This shouldn't be a payday, but it shouldn't be something that the police nor The Province can laugh off either.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Better believe I'd see legal action. Agreed that it does not compensate the headaches in knowing you were right, and having to simply " deal with it ". Let it be a lesson to cops and the bike community.

The problem is that in order to be awarded punitive damages, the claim needs to leave Small claims and get into Superior Court.

however, if one can quantify all their legitimate damages, then a small claims court claim will work, but the max in SCC is $10k.

Officially got the suspension removed from his record. Has the MTO letter and everything to prove it. His $$$ from the OPP are coming by end of month, again confirmed in a letter that he got today.

So that's that folks. Like it never ever happened :-S

This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat.

Except that it did and there should be no further such events.

I'm happy for my friend that he was lucky enough to have everything happen the way it did AFTER he was given the ticket, but, and I mean BUT, what really grinds my gears is, he's been driving for close to 10 years here in Canada, and doesn't have so much as a parking ticket, then one night because an officer claimed he was going 151km.h instead of what he even admitted to doing (130 or so), he had to go through all of this. That to me is the realy frightening thing. Not to mention now they're constantly changing the rules about BAC and want to give PO's the ability to stop you without cause for impairment..... oh boy.

Quote Originally Posted by nfq View Post
    I'm happy for my friend that he was lucky enough to have everything happen the way it did AFTER he was given the ticket, but, and I mean BUT, what really grinds my gears is, he's been driving for close to 10 years here in Canada, and doesn't have so much as a parking ticket, then one night because an officer claimed he was going 151km.h instead of what he even admitted to doing (130 or so), he had to go through all of this. That to me is the realy frightening thing. Not to mention now they're constantly changing the rules about BAC and want to give PO's the ability to stop you without cause for impairment..... oh boy.

and that's the reason he shoulda told the cops to go **** themselves on their offer and started calling the best lawyers in this country

your buddy had the best chance to have this entire law over-turned and a big payday for being bent right over

the law was the reason his rights were **** all over, not this useless excuse for a cop

I had already called him on enough 'politicizing of the facts', so going into excruciating detail on where he was lying seemed over the top.

Perhaps that datum didn't support an agenda?

A really good well sorted letter, even if it goes no where still a good thing to let him know nobody is fooled by his rederick

Quote Originally Posted by 82Seca750 View Post
    and that's the reason he shoulda told the cops to go **** themselves on their offer and started calling the best lawyers in this country

your buddy had the best chance to have this entire law over-turned and a big payday for being bent right over

the law was the reason his rights were **** all over, not this useless excuse for a cop
    IMO this was an opportunity squandered.
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoast_gsx View Post
    IMO this was an opportunity squandered.
    Perhaps, but not the sort of thing that the average person can afford to put his life on hold for. He'd have needed a great deal of support.

Perhaps, but not the sort of thing that the average person can afford to put his life on hold for. He'd have needed a great deal of support.
    True. I personally would have ponied up some money for the cause, I am sure there are others as well. But your right, maybe he was not keen on where to find the resources.
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

I guess it's good news for the person falsely charged, bad news for the rest of us as the police's antics can go on ..... pity.