Can I carry a rifle on a motorcycle? - Page 2

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can I carry a rifle on a motorcycle?

Resurrection

Re: Can I carry a rifle on a motorcycle?

Quote Originally Posted by CBRJOHN View Post
    Although the laws are the same, how they're applied varies a lot by area.. I'm in a Rural / Farming Area..

There's a lot of Sheep farmers, There's a big problem with englishj right now.. Seeing someone walking up the road with a rifle, shotgun or Bow in their hands isn't a uncommon sight. And everyone knows everyone. The OPP don't even bother stopping.

Try that in a Mississauga Subdivision and see what happens..
    fixed

No idea if you can carry a rifle on a bike or not, but i know that if you did, you'd have a nice safe bubble around you from other drivers that's for sure
    "A Journey of a Thousand Miles, Begins with a Single Rev" - Confucius (Edited )

Quote Originally Posted by ScoTTY88 View Post
    First off Mystique, I doubt there are very few CFSC instructors that teach about restricted and non restricted firearms being transported on a motorcycle unless they are a rider them selves or its been asked so many times before that its now course material.
    Nothing was mentioned in mine and for some people relating transportantion in a car to a motorcycle could be far fetched for some.

If I wanted to ride to the range and bring my M14 with me, the only, and I repeat only thing that I currently need to do that legaly would be my PAL. I do not need to have or show proof of my registration cert if asked because long rifles are still under the amnesty. I do not need to have it locked or cased aslong as the firearm is unloaded and under my direct control. I don't know why your talking about ATT's when he's talking about presumably a NR long gun. Also, where did you get that info about the firearm having to be concealed during a transfer. Transfer of what and where?

You are slightly mis informed.

Eta - I see you said logic would tell you, well sorry, when it comes to the CFC your logic is trumped everytime by the law.
    Well, I'm not a lawyer, but as I understand it, your firearm has to be concealed if it's in your vehicle and not under your direct control. For instance, you couldn't leave it on the back seat in plain view. It would also have to be trigger-locked if it's not under your direct control. For instance, if you decide to drop into Timmie's on your way to wherever, you can't leave it on your bike in plain view and unlocked. You could be carrying it in a "case" of whatever kind, even inside the Timmie's actually. You'd most likely have the police being called and you'd probably be asked to produce your PAL, as you've noted. In theory, transport by car, bike, boat, bus whatever makes no difference provided you are in control of the firearm. I'm fairly certain these things are covered in the PAL course..
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

Banned

all the transfer stuff we talked about in MY course presumed a car. No mention of a motorcycle, so someone who was not so pretentious might just answer the question with out all the degrading and know-it-ally subscript.

You ahve to have a trigger lock on the gun...but nothing says you cant leave the key in it....

so there are some grey areas, this might not be one, but trying to make someone feel stupid for asking is MUCH worse than asking a question. Have kids? LOL!!!

Fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
    I see, so are you telling me you don't know how to read your manual? Section 9? How did you pass the course?

Yah, you're absolutely right. No one was born with gun parts coming out of their ying-yangs. Everyone who wants to shoot off a gun or needs to for work is required to take the course. BUT Logic tells me that if you are transferring a firearm in plainview (i.e. on your motorcycle/bicycle) it's illegal. Which is why I'm wondering how you could have passed the course if you don't even have the logic to understand the basics.

So, to answer your question, you should probably refer back to your manual and go to section 9-10 (to be exact) because it will specifically tell you that if you are transporting your firearm, it has to be unloaded, and in the trunk of your car (concealed).

Hope you don't shoot off someone's head with that rifle - cuz I'd be damn scared to be near you if you're already asking questions about if you can carry your rifle on your motorcycle.
    Last edited by Rob MacLennan; 05-27-2009 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Insulted another member

Banned

I was told that if you were going to have a guncase on the back seat of your car, you should cover it with a blanket or something if you are leaving the car for a coffee/smoke run. Better yet, put in trunk.

It was not clear to me if this was a rule, or suggestion either.

Quote Originally Posted by invictus43 View Post
    Well, I'm not a lawyer, but as I understand it, your firearm has to be concealed if it's in your vehicle and not under your direct control. For instance, you couldn't leave it on the back seat in plain view. It would also have to be trigger-locked if it's not under your direct control. For instance, if you decide to drop into Timmie's on your way to wherever, you can't leave it on your bike in plain view and unlocked. You could be carrying it in a "case" of whatever kind, even inside the Timmie's actually. You'd most likely have the police being called and you'd probably be asked to produce your PAL, as you've noted. In theory, transport by car, bike, boat, bus whatever makes no difference provided you are in control of the firearm. I'm fairly certain these things are covered in the PAL course..

Isn't the firearm considered concealed if its in a case? Or does the case itself need to be concealed too? Would wrapping it in a blanket on your bike not be considered concealed?

Sounds like its not worth the hassel just to ride though.

Quote Originally Posted by dankyyz View Post
    I was told that if you were going to have a guncase on the back seat of your car, you should cover it with a blanket or something if you are leaving the car for a coffee/smoke run. Better yet, put in trunk.

It was not clear to me if this was a rule, or suggestion either.
    Yeah, as I understand it, by law, if you are not in control of it, it has to be concealed and locked. I suspect in the trunk in a case is what they'd prefer. But back seat and covered up probably is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouch View Post
    Use a soft guitar case.
    I like Arnie's style better.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7ETNeeZBe4

Scotty, Scotty... it sounds like you are willing to bet your Pal to test my logic. Why don't you try riding on the streets of Toronto for about an hour with your M14 strapped to your back and see if anyone stops you. Just because they don't teach it to you the lessons of transporting a firearm, restricted or non-restricted, doesn't mean you are excused to being ignorant to the rules. The rules are rules... Must be concealed, out of sight, unloaded.

I certainly don't disagree with you that for a non-restricted firearm, all you need is your PAL, however, again, must be transported concealed, in a guitar case, wrapped in a blanket whatever...

So, let's see, let's use your M14 to test that law and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoTTY88 View Post
    First off Mystique, I doubt there are very few CFSC instructors that teach about restricted and non restricted firearms being transported on a motorcycle unless they are a rider them selves or its been asked so many times before that its now course material.
    Nothing was mentioned in mine and for some people relating transportantion in a car to a motorcycle could be far fetched for some.

If I wanted to ride to the range and bring my M14 with me, the only, and I repeat only thing that I currently need to do that legaly would be my PAL. I do not need to have or show proof of my registration cert if asked because long rifles are still under the amnesty. I do not need to have it locked or cased aslong as the firearm is unloaded and under my direct control. I don't know why your talking about ATT's when he's talking about presumably a NR long gun. Also, where did you get that info about the firearm having to be concealed during a transfer. Transfer of what and where?

You are slightly mis informed.

Eta - I see you said logic would tell you, well sorry, when it comes to the CFC your logic is trumped everytime by the law.
    Mystique
    It's true that we don't know what we've got until we lose it, but it's also true that we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by Royson View Post
    Isn't the firearm considered concealed if its in a case? Or does the case itself need to be concealed too? Would wrapping it in a blanket on your bike not be considered concealed?

Sounds like its not worth the hassel just to ride though.
    No, you can carry it on your person as long as it's "encased"..which means a gun case or gun sock. Same in your car or bike or whatever. However, if it's not under your direct control (in your car with you, on your back, on your bike, whatever), then you have to have it out of sight and trigger-locked. Basically, they don't want it stolen (back seat and in plain view with nobody around) and they don't want to cause public panic (riding around, uncovered on your back like The Terminator). If you have your PAL you're legal.

And it would be a hassle..people will call the police, just like if you were to walk into a Timmie's..I suspect there'd be some concern there, maybe rightly so. There is an element of common sense here..

No offence taken. Sure, we can be friends, but only if you leave your rifle at home.

As for whether you can carry a rifle on your motorcycle, it's in the CSFC handbook. The rifle needs to be concealed/out of sight. Which at this point in time, you still don't understand. But hey, you just got your license and someone's already siding with you, so what do I know?

You want to transport your rifle on your back or mount it on your bike, just becareful which municipality you're riding in.

Quote Originally Posted by Elena P. View Post
    Thank you Scotty. Mystique, actually I asked my instructor about bikes. He said - nothing specifically covers that area. Most likely you would be at mercy of that cop who stopped you and his judgements. This is why I asked for help here, I am sure that a lot of people know more that me on that matter. And have real life experience, not only page reading. And yes, too many mistakes in your posts makes me wonder - "who was you instructor and how did you get your pal, pal?" as you asked me

No offence, can we be friends?
    Mystique
    It's true that we don't know what we've got until we lose it, but it's also true that we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by yettiman121 View Post
    Mystique, Holy crap, take a pill or something.

the persons just asking a simple question, and by the looks of it, you jump down their throat for not knowing.

Im quite sure you've never asked a question like that, have you?

like maybe.. what brake fluid should you use on an R6 ?

wait a sec.. didnt you read the manual? how is that possible, if you read the manual, you'd know.
    Hi Yetti,

Kinda disappointing that someone from this board is getting their PAL and doesn't know the basics about transporting a firearm. Kinda scary...

Yeah, brake fluid, I'm still troubled by that one... you're right on the nose with that one... After hearing so many conflicting answers.. I'm still confused...
    Mystique

Hi Yetti,

Kinda disappointing that someone from this board is getting their PAL and doesn't know the basics about transporting a firearm. Kinda scary...

Yeah, brake fluid, I'm still troubled by that one... you're right on the nose with that one... After hearing so many conflicting answers.. I'm still confused...

lol

Kinda disappointing that someone with a PAL (assuming), didn't realise you don't need a ATT for a non-restricted firearm or that encompasing a firearm in a case/sock is considered concealed.

I think it was a good question from someone relatively new to firearms, the course is designed to assist not to give you your PhD in Firearms.
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

Call it whatever you want. I'm not happy with the fact that here's a person who just got their license, not for a bike or car, BUT A FIREARM who obviously didn't take the time to heed proper judgement and bother to think, "hey, it's a rifle, maybe I should just transport it in the trunk of my car or in a really safe case." With her logic, she's going to be really safe riding around the city with a gun on her back. Don't forget that trigger lock.

Arent you the snotty little teacher? Way to adivse!!!! The soft touch..

all the transfer stuff we talked about in MY course presumed a car. No mention of a motorcycle, so someone who was not so pretentious might just answer the question with out all the degrading and know-it-ally subscript.

You ahve to have a trigger lock on the gun...but nothing says you cant leave the key in it....

so there are some grey areas, this might not be one, but trying to make someone feel stupid for asking is MUCH worse than asking a question. Have kids? LOL!!!

Fail.
    Mystique

Banned

Hi Yetti,

but if you had properly read the manual, you'd know what the proper brake fluid was.

i sure hope you dont kill someone if your brakes fail, becasue you didnt properly maintain your Bike.

by the way, its DOT 4 You'd know that if you read your manual.

if your bike didnt come with one, shame on you, for not getting one.

Personally I would never transport a weapon on a bike.
    Are there actually rifle ranges near toronto where one could shoot at 300m +?
    Leave him alone Lock!
    Dyna Coils/wires, 750 ECU, Dyna Rev Limiter, Orient Express Drag 2nd Gear replacement, Rebuilt Tranny, Mikuni RS 36 Flatslides, BMC Pod Filters, GSXR 1000 '01 Titanium Header and Exhaust, Oil cooler base Mod,Busa Rear Shock, Braided SS Brake Lines &Clutch Line, Busa Clutch Master, Busa Clutch Slave, FP Clutch Detent Spring, Ape Manual CCT, GSXR K1 Fork Caps/Adjusters, Race Tech Springs,

Banned

Go easy there sailor. The "infraction police" are onto us.

Quote Originally Posted by yettiman121 View Post
    but if you had properly read the manual, you'd know what the proper brake fluid was.

i sure hope you dont kill someone if your brakes fail, becasue you didnt properly maintain your Bike.

by the way, its DOT 4 You'd know that if you read your manual.

if your bike didnt come with one, shame on you, for not getting one.

I have and will transport my rifle(s) on my bike. I've done a bit of motorcycle camping up north. Having a firearm in bear country is not a particularly bad idea, and there is no risk to anyone anyway. I'm a lawabiding citizen who is legally allowed to possess and use a firearm, I've done EVERYTHING I need, why the hassle?

If people feel threatened by a cased out of sight firearm, perhaps they should stay indoors.
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

Quote Originally Posted by Elena P. View Post
    If yes, how? Any personal experience? Just behind by back on a sling or I need some mounting hardware to be affixed to the frame? Is it allowed at all?

remind me of terminator 2 when he had that shot gun wedged between his piping LOL

Go easy there sailor. The "infraction police" are onto us.
    It's a relatively simple concept; don't insult people and you stop getting infractions.

As for everyone else, please keep it civil.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde