Can I carry a rifle on a motorcycle? - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Can I carry a rifle on a motorcycle?

Re: Can I carry a rifle on a motorcycle?

Quote Originally Posted by armd_recce View Post
    The minimum non - restricted barrel length for a semi - auto centerfire rifle is 470mm, or 18.5", with a minimum overall length of 660mm.

Even if it were an SKS with a 16.5" barrel, it'd still be restricted - and prohibited if it had been shortened from the stock 20.5" barrel.
    Interesting. I'll have to look that up then because when I wanted to buy a Ruger PC9 carbine a few years back, I was told that its 16.25" barrel was exactly 1/4" too short to qualify for unrestricted status.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by uncagedca View Post
    Read the last sentence. You are not 100% correct. I wrote, keep the firearm out of plain view (or as the RCMP calls it out of sight) and attach a secure locking device. The RCMP consider a trigger lock or a cable lock a secure locking device. So my sentence was not wrong, there is just two methods to secure a unattended firearm. You can choose your trunk, but what do you do if you don't have a trunk, say like in my Jeep or my motorcycle?
    Leaving Any Class of Firearm in an Unattended Vehicle

• Lock non-restricted firearms and locked containers carrying restricted or prohibited firearms in the trunk or in a similar lockable compartment.

• If the vehicle does not have a trunk or lockable compartment, put firearms and firearm containers out of sight inside the vehicle and lock the vehicle.

• If you are in a remote wilderness area and cannot lock your non-restricted firearms inside your vehicle, unload them and put them out of sight. Attach a secure locking device unless they are needed for predator control.
    Pulled from:
    http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...posage-eng.htm
    Ummm ya ok if you are in a remote wilderness area and cannot loci your non restricted inside your vehicle. They are talking about in a hunting camp scenario or similar.

So yes, your original statement which implied a non-res had to be trigger locked when left unattended in a vehicle is wrong.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Interesting. I'll have to look that up then because when I wanted to buy a Ruger PC9 carbine a few years back, I was told that its 16.25" barrel was exactly 1/4" too short to qualify for unrestricted status.
    Whoever told you that was full of it, or you just don't remember right... the length is 18.5"

Quote Originally Posted by kramer View Post
    Whoever told you that was full of it, or you just don't remember right... the length is 18.5"
    I checked it and you're absolutely right; 18.5". This was quite a while back though.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by mat2312 View Post
    If people feel threatened by a cased out of sight firearm, perhaps they should stay indoors.
    The same could be said about people that are afraid of bears.

Quote Originally Posted by verno317 View Post
    The same could be said about people that are afraid of bears.
    Only if they're unarmed
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

Arming yourself with some common sense in bear country will go a lot further towards keeping you safe than a firearm. Besides, transporting a dead and dressed bear on a bike would be a messy undertaking.

Arming yourself with some common sense in bear country will go a lot further towards keeping you safe than a firearm. Besides, transporting a dead and dressed bear on a bike would be a messy undertaking.
    I agree that common sense is key, i'm still more comfortable with a firearm in remote areas, especially camping with my family.

Who said anything about transporting the bear? I'd report it to the MNR and either let them take the pelt or the birds can pick at it. It was shot in self defense, not hunting.

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

I agree that common sense is key, i'm still more comfortable with a firearm in remote areas, especially camping with my family.

Who said anything about transporting the bear? I'd report it to the MNR and either let them take the pelt or the birds can pick at it. It was shot in self defense, not hunting.

Is that how it works. I always heard (for example) that if you hit a deer with your car, you are responsible for it and can't just leave it at the side of the road.

However, I don't have any actual knowledge of any of this, just interested because it was brought up.
    "The Christian god can easily be pictured as virtually the same god as the many ancient gods of past civilizations. The Christian god is a three headed monster; cruel, vengeful and capricious. If one wishes to know more of this raging, three headed beast-like god, one only needs to look at the caliber of people who say they serve him. They are always of two classes: fools and hypocrites."

- Thomas Jefferson

Incorrect about road kill. Leave it right there if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Angus Argyle View Post
    Is that how it works. I always heard (for example) that if you hit a deer with your car, you are responsible for it and can't just leave it at the side of the road.

However, I don't have any actual knowledge of any of this, just interested because it was brought up.
    About the deer, road kill is roadkill. someone will usually take it though, at the very least MTO will dispose of it (I believe)

You're only responsible for the meat if you hunt it deliberate, I believe.
    ~=Big Daddy of the Dope Dragons MC=~

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

From the MNR hunting regs.

If you wish to keep the animals referenced below that have been killed by natural or other accidental causes including road kills, you must report the acquisition to the ministry. In the case of black bear, moose, deer, elk and caribou, you must report the acquisition to a ministry office immediately.

So if you're gonna keep it you've got to report it. (legally)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeandapancake View Post
    Incorrect about road kill. Leave it right there if you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by BusaBob View Post
    About the deer, road kill is roadkill. someone will usually take it though, at the very least MTO will dispose of it (I believe)

You're only responsible for the meat if you hunt it deliberate, I believe.

You are both wise in the ways of road-kill. Thanks..
    "The Christian god can easily be pictured as virtually the same god as the many ancient gods of past civilizations. The Christian god is a three headed monster; cruel, vengeful and capricious. If one wishes to know more of this raging, three headed beast-like god, one only needs to look at the caliber of people who say they serve him. They are always of two classes: fools and hypocrites."

- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by phantom View Post
    From the MNR hunting regs.

If you wish to keep the animals referenced below that have been killed by natural or other accidental causes including road kills, you must report the acquisition to the ministry. In the case of black bear, moose, deer, elk and caribou, you must report the acquisition to a ministry office immediately.

So if you're gonna keep it you've got to report it. (legally)

This is interesting. If you want to hunt out of season, just shoot the damn thing, drag it in front of your car and hit it.

You can always say you shot it because it was suffering.

** going to get gun **

- Thomas Jefferson

hahaha...you can try, but i don't think it'll fly.

besides, the MNR boys have a lower burden of proof than the criminal justice courts, and they can just about seize the shirt off your back including your vehicle, and gun if they thought you weren't being straight with them.
    ~=Big Daddy of the Dope Dragons MC=~

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

You aren't likely to get caught or charged even if you didn't report it. I just figured you were a hunter is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Angus Argyle View Post
    You are both wise in the ways of road-kill. Thanks..
    Deer are a dime a dozen. Not worth even bothering with this time of year.

Moose is a different story. There are many fistfights on the roadside over who is getting the moose.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeandapancake View Post
    Deer are a dime a dozen. Not worth even bothering with this time of year.

Moose is a different story. There are many fistfights on the roadside over who is getting the moose.
    Twice I have helped someone(s) load up a moose after an 18 wheeler spun it off in the ditch.

One was a calf.... that was a score
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

You aren't likely to get caught or charged even if you didn't report it. I just figured you were a hunter is all.
    I wouldn't use a motorcycle as transportation for hunting, that's just irresponsible (for the above reasons). Even if I did kill a bear out of self defense, I don't think I'd risk taking the meat/pelt. I'd much rather leave it up to the MNR and wash my hands of the whole situation so as not to cast any doubt.

OFAH member