ZZR250 rear turn lights relocation

Thread: ZZR250 rear turn lights relocation

Question ZZR250 rear turn lights relocation

I noticed that many ZZR250s (European, Japanese?) pictured on the net have rear turn signal lights next to the break light.
    Like this:
    http://www.geocities.co.jp/MotorCity...ZR250H1-02.jpg

ZZR250s I've seen locally and my own have them on the fender instead, sticking out on both sides, which looks like ***.
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3128/...2738a3.jpg?v=0

Now, there are still spots for these turn lights left and right of the break light but they have solid covers on them. There are even light bulb brackets right underneath. Does anyone know why are they covered up like that?

I guess all I need is 2 transparent covers and a simple re-wiring job, and to figure out what size bulbs I need. I've searched for these covers online but nothing's coming up for ZZR250 and if I type in Ninja 250 I can only find stuff for the new model which is totally different (I don't even know if the EX-250F has same lights as 250H?).
    Does anyone know where I could get them?

Re: ZZR250 rear turn lights relocation

I used to have this bike and I've searched high and low for them and no luck. However, if you take the covers off you'll see that they're orange under there. So all you gotta do is strip the paint (i used paint thinner) and you got yourself a orange turn signal lens. Then go to Canadian Tire pick up a socket for a 1156 bulb, pop it in the empty light buckets, wire them up and you're all set. You'll need to be a bit creative when installing them in there. I had to grind mine just a tad. If you need help, let me know.

Here's what I did to mine. I didn't use mine as signals, but rather brake lights. I also painted the lens red.

Last edited by wedginator; 05-25-2009 at 07:11 PM.
    '08 ZX6R

Quote Originally Posted by wedginator View Post
    However, if you take the covers off you'll see that they're orange under there. So all you gotta do is strip the paint (i used paint thinner) and you got yourself a orange turn
    Yep, done the wifes as well. Only word of warning - be careful what you are using to strip the paint. I have seen a couple of lenses melted into a total mess by using too harsh of a stripper. Put a drop of whatever you are going to use on one of the inside edges of a lens, and let it sit on the plastic for a couple of minutes....if the plastic is sticky or soft in any way, you will want to find something else to strip the paint.

All is not lost if you do make a mess of it, they can be restored to a nice shiny finish, but its alot of work. I can post pics of the wifes machine when I get home from work if you like.
    Newcastle, On.

Thanks wedginator, great response! I never looked at them close, didn't realize they were actually orange...

Do you know why did Kawasaki do that for the Canadian market? Safety requirements? Definitely not to cut cost, since the bike still has the original setup.

...and thanks for the warning In2. If you have pics post them up too. Never hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonPig View Post
    Thanks wedginator, great response! I never looked at them close, didn't realize they were actually orange...

Do you know why did Kawasaki do that for the Canadian market? Safety requirements? Definitely not to cut cost, since the bike still has the original setup.

...and thanks for the warning In2. If you have pics post them up too. Never hurts.
    I think it was because the turn signals needed to be a certain distance apart. I guess the zzr250 didn't make the cut.
    '08 ZX6R

Makes sense. You don't think popo's gonna know the difference, eh?

Great idea, I think i'll do that to my wifey's bike..
    ~~I rather be riding my bike & thinkin of GOD than sitting in Gurdwara thinkin of my bike!!

03 SV1000s
    02 SV650s
    02 SV650s project - LF: any parts. PM pls. Thnx!
    Sold 2001 Ninja 500r

What years are we talking?
    My gfs 02 the same?

Quote Originally Posted by DemonPig View Post
    Makes sense. You don't think popo's gonna know the difference, eh?
    I have always assumed that its distance between signals as well, which is why all the sport bikes have big *** arms on the rear signals, which cosmetically doesnt match with anything else on the machine. I couldnt imagine ever getting a ticket for it....
    Newcastle, On.

I really doubt any cop will stop you just to measure your turn signals.
    '08 ZX6R

Ha! Got off my *** and checked.
    Hers are already integrated with no sign of custom!
    I should pay more attention!

My wife's is 07 and i think the 02zzr would be the same.
    ~~I rather be riding my bike & thinkin of GOD than sitting in Gurdwara thinkin of my bike!!

03 SV1000s
    02 SV650s
    02 SV650s project - LF: any parts. PM pls. Thnx!
    Sold 2001 Ninja 500r

Quote Originally Posted by leedufour View Post
    Ha! Got off my *** and checked.
    Hers are already integrated with no sign of custom!
    I should pay more attention!
    Well that is a highway robbery!
    Mine's an '05, maybe earlier models weren't subject to the distance restriction?
    I wonder if someone modified your girl's bike professionally or did it come like that from a dealership.
    I was pretty sure everything on them was 100% identical from 2000-07 but maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by wedginator View Post
    I really doubt any cop will stop you just to measure your turn signals.
    I didn't really think so. It would be a new experience if it happened though. What would the ticket say? Too short?

Like I said, doesn't seem to be any custom work! It's the beige one!!!

Look at the fender where the turn signals are supposedly installed. Is there a metal hoop hole? or a hole through the plastic fender? If not, then that bike has probably been imported.
    '08 ZX6R

Like I said, doesn't seem to be any custom work! It's the beige one!!!
    leed - the bike would look nice and factory like that, even if it *was* modified. That is the factory signal location used in other countries, so Kawi simply paints over the orange lens to get rid of them.... once the paint is removed, it looks like a factory setup (because it is!)

Im pretty sure the regulations that the manufacturers must follow havent changed in recent years in this specific case, and I also thought that all years of the ZZR were the same. Yet, in leed's picture there, I cant actually see the holes where the factory signals (in Canada) mounted to the mudflap - maybe that truly is the setup for those years!
    Newcastle, On.

Just had a look at the bike. There are reflectors around where (ballpark) the turn signals would be (see photo).
    Checked the old UVIP, my gf keeps all records, but it only goes back to what I assume was the original owner, not the dealership that it might have come from. Too bad. That's actually usefull info that they don't include. It would answer easily whether the vehicle is an import or not!!!
    Not to worry!!! Bike's going up for sale!

Just had a look at the bike. There are reflectors around where (ballpark) the turn signals would be (see photo).
    Exactly! I dont actually have any worthwhile pics of the wifes ZZR, so I finally got around to actually going and looking at the bike - whoever owned the machine before you put those reflectors where the signals originally mounted to hide the holes, as thats exactly where the signals mount in Canada.
    Newcastle, On.