*got a ticket for driving at night* - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: *got a ticket for driving at night*

Re: *got a ticket for driving at night*

Quote Originally Posted by sempire View Post
    No one is trying to be the internet police.

People are explaining how risks and common sense work. As the example with speeding. I speed, I get a ticket, and I don't bother coming online to explain to people how i got a speeding ticket for speeding and what i should do next.

Your two cents didn't offer anything. So don't worry about what everyone else is saying.
    Well I didnt mean you, I meant the people saying things that add nothing to the thread.
    Sorry, I'm quite sure I made a valid comment in the 2nd page.
    '04 CBR1000RR

you folks have it lucky. you only have to wait 2 months? be thankful you are not in BC. it takes 3 years to get your full license here.

if you start at zero(no license) you write 2 tests, class 8L(bikes) class 7L(cars) ...then u wait 30 days before you can take your MST(parking lot skills test) during that 30 days you must ride with a supervisor(someone holding a valid class 6(motorcycle) ) can only ride dawn to dusk. cant ride over 60kph. no passengers. must display a new driver sign (an L ) (learner)

once you pass the MST the supervisor and speed restrictions are removed. but other restrictions remain and are similar to your M1. This phase lasts 12months. you have to display the new driver sign (L)

after 12 months of no penalties, you qualify to take your first road test.
    if you pass this test you get a class 8N (novice) (or if car its 7N) most restrictions are removed here. main ones is zero alcohol and must display new driver sign (N)

you have to now wait 2 years as a class 8N before you can take the final road test to get your full class 6 (motorcycle) or class 5 (car)

so suck it up. its only 2 months not worth the penalties if you are caught riding against restrictions.

here are new driver signs that must be on bike/car
    Last edited by Skyway6; 05-25-2009 at 03:16 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Skyway6 View Post
    you folks have it lucky. you only have to wait 2 months? be thankful you are not in BC. it takes 3 years to get your full license here.

if you start at zero(no license) you write 2 tests, class 8L(bikes) class 7L(cars) ...then u wait 30 days before you can take your MST(parking lot skills test) during that 30 days you must ride with a supervisor(someone holding a valid class 6(motorcycle) ) can only ride dawn to dusk. cant ride over 60kph. no passengers. must display a new driver sign (an L ) (learner)

once you pass the MST the supervisor and speed restrictions are removed. but other restrictions remain and are similar to your M1. This phase lasts 12months. you have to display the new driver sign (L)

if you pass this test you get a class 8N (novice) (or if car its 7N) most restrictions are removed here. main ones is zero alcohol and must display new driver sign (N)

you have to now wait 2 years as a class 8N before you can take the final road test to get your full class 6 (motorcycle) or class 5 (car)

so suck it up. its only 2 months not worth the penalties if you are caught riding against restrictions.

Funny, when i spend time in the Okanagan, anyone thats moved there says
    B.C.- Bring Cash
    B.C.- Bit Confused

The OP hasn't bothered to answer any of the obvious follow up questions posted by others. He's had time to do so. I think maybe we all (myself included) take some of these individuals a little too seriously--look at their posting history-- and offer what we believe is sincere advice. Whereas some of these guys are just trolling for some yucks.
    Got Torque?

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by Skyway6 View Post

We're not that lucky. Two months is to get from the M1 to the M2.
    Most are into their third season here before getting a full license; if you time everything just right and luck out with the weather, you can have a full license near October of your second season.
    The OP is in the first phase, equivalent to having written the test, but having completed no riding tests.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    We're not that lucky. Two months is to get from the M1 to the M2.
    Most are into their third season here before getting a full license; if you time everything just right and luck out with the weather, you can have a full license near October of your second season.
    The OP is in the first phase, equivalent to having written the test, but having completed no riding tests.

dude, did you not read his post, or only the first sentance.

from what i read, Ontarians have it much more easier than BC

they have to ride with a supervisor, we dont, they take an extra 2 tests, that we dont. they have to ride for a year with no tickets, we dont

Doesn't this offense involve a road-side suspension?

To the OP, PM me... I work with two of the largest Paralegal firms in GTA, they are my clients, I can ask them to pull a favour for me, for you (depending on the city)... only because I can relate to you...

But something doesn't sound right, unless the cop was doing you a huge favor.

Tell us if it's a ticket or a summons? Were you able to drive home? I always thought it's a summons, as there's no set fine.

[ Something tells me the OP is a troll. ]

But if this is real, I'm willing to help
    Last edited by moosio; 05-25-2009 at 02:46 PM.

i saw this on the MTO site.....you must not ride on highways with speed limits of more than 80 km/h except highways 11, 17, 61, 69, 71, 101, 102, 144, 655

so..... you can ride on #11 up noth were its 100k on a M-1????

just asking
    92 GSXR 7-11/ 89 ZX-7R & rare 1997 YZF 1000 THUNDER ACE! retro rockets baby!!
    more to come,

Quote Originally Posted by iko View Post
    i saw this on the MTO site.....you must not ride on highways with speed limits of more than 80 km/h except highways 11, 17, 61, 69, 71, 101, 102, 144, 655

just asking
    yes you can from what I understand. it was the same when I had my G1, no 400series hwys, but hwy 11 just north of barrie and up is ok even when the speed goes to 100 from 90.

I used to drive to northbay all the time with my G1, I would just take a back road through Barrie and get on hwy 11 at the first on ramp and them straight up to da bay from there.

fight it. do what others have said.

find out what time sunset was that day and then add 30 minutes, if the time on the ticket is after you still have a case, because you can argue the cop pulled you over, talked to you for 5 minutes, took your license info and ran it on the computer another 5 minutes, found out you're M1, then proceeded to write the ticket.

Maybe the cops watch was running fast.

Fight it, ask for disclosure, request what method the police officer used to assess the time. If it was his person wrist watch, when you cross examine him, "how often to you calibrate your wrist watch?"

probably "never".

There are some possibilities here. Sit down, review the ticket, the section of the HTA that you've been charged with and come up with a possible defense.

Not to mention if you take it to court and:

They don't provide you with disclosure in a timely manner you can get it thrown out.
    If the court date is over 12 months from the offense date you can get it thrown out also.
    If the cop doesn't show up its an instant win.
    You increase the delay for others, so they may have a shot at a charter defense.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by iko View Post

just asking
    The MTO had to keep highways like 11 and 69 M1 accessible because they are the only way to get from the Barrie area to Sudbury or North Bay (without taking the really long way )

Quote Originally Posted by spacemonkey View Post
    Not the same thing. Is it your choice to break a leg or not? Nope! It's an accident. The OP chose to ride at night with his M1 violating his M1 terms. I agree, best advice - don't ride at night. This will be an expensive lesson learned. Seek legal advice. Good luck!
    Dude, he wasn't asking whether he should've ridden at night or no. He was asking about legal repercussions. Hence telling him that he shouldn't ride at night (after the fact) is not advice. It's a smart *** comment.
    And that's what I've attempted to illustrate with the broken leg example.

okay... really though

it was night time
    .. he wasn't riding in a snowstorm

... i don't know, i think the 'no riding at night' thing is a little ridiculous.. i WAS all about following the rules.. til last week when it was amaazing out at night and i finally had a night off. i rode around til 12:30.. it's not like it's really more difficult..

if i were you i'd take it to court and just fight it with the honest truth.. you weren't doing anything wrong, and got stuck at work late.
    Sup; I'm Chels.

They say there's a heaven for those who will wait --
    Some say it's better, but I say it ain't.
    I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints;
    the Sinners are much more fun

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by supitschels View Post
    if i were you i'd take it to court and just fight it with the honest truth.. you weren't doing anything wrong, and got stuck at work late.
    So if I got caught doing double the speed limit, I should take it to court and say I was late for work?

As part of your M1 you are not allowed to drive at night or it's a suspension, if he knows he gets off at 10pm, he knows it's dark at that time, and should have not been riding at that time. unfortunately his ignorance for the rules screwed him. people take the risk, and if you get caught you get screwed.

There is NOTHING you can do. The fine is what, $200? You'll pay more than that in legal fees if you attempt to peruse it.

Pay it and take it as a lesson learned.

Quote Originally Posted by supitschels View Post
    okay... really though

it was night time
    .. he wasn't riding in a snowstorm

... i don't know, i think the 'no riding at night' thing is a little ridiculous.. i WAS all about following the rules.. til last week when it was amaazing out at night and i finally had a night off. i rode around til 12:30.. it's not like it's really more difficult..

I'd ride (with) you till 12.30 at night. Giggity.

felipe09

Well it was 1130 i was like 4 intersections away from home the cops just pulled me over asked for my papers went to his car he came back with a tiket said that i shouldnt be driving at night beacuse of my license and just got in his car and left i was just there standing in the shoulder of the road thinking what the**** do i do now

felipe09

And the tiket is $110 if i decide not to go to court

holy smokes, it's not as bad as I thought

felipe09

yeh but if im found guilty the cop said its a 30 day suspension wich is baddddd