Interesting: Claims experience in different regions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting: Claims experience in different regions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb Interesting: Claims experience in different regions

Hey Guys,

Many people wonder why premiums cost so much in Toronto, so I thought you would be interested in this information. Looking at the Accident Benefits claims experience by region, I am showing you the relative difference between regions below. I used a 15-point scale, with 1 being the best and 15 being the worst. For your reference, the average policy in North York claims 300% more than the average policy in Ottawa. For the people living in West North York or East Brampton, you might want to consider moving

You might want to steer clear of riding in the high-risk areas.

From BEST to WORST . . . enjoy!

• Ottawa: 1
    • Kingston/Belleville: 1
    • Sarnia: 2
    • Peterborough: 2
    • Thunder Bay: 2
    • Burlington/Oakville: 3
    • Stratford: 3
    • Pickering/Ajax/Whitby etc.: 3
    • Burlington: 3
    • Newmarket: 3
    • Etobicoke: 4
    • London: 4
    • Niagara Falls: 4
    • Halton: 4
    • Kitchener/Waterloo: 4
    • Guelph: 4
    • Hamilton: 8
    • West Brampton and Non-Central Mississauga: 9
    • Bradford, Newcastle, Port Perry, Uxbridge, Orangeville: 10
    • East North York and some Downtown Postal Codes: 10
    • Rural area and cities north of Toronto (i.e. Vaughan, Thornhill, etc.): 10
    • Markham: 10
    • Scarborough Central: 12
    • East Brampton and Central Mississauga: 15
    • West North York and some Downtown Postal Codes: 15

DISCLAIMER: Each company uses their own relativities . . . this is just a sample, but should be representative of most companies.
    Last edited by VifferFun; 10-28-2009 at 05:29 PM.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

Re: Interesting: Claims experience in different regions

How is it for Rural areas North of the GTA ?

How about Mississauga or Kingston?

west Brampton is a 9 o joy guess where I am lol. But it sucks as others who are horrible drivers screw with my rates, because where I live I get screwed because others are crappy riders/drivers.

so can i say that i live in the least prone to accident area and save $$

Quote Originally Posted by fr335ty1e View Post
    so can i say that i live in the least prone to accident area and save $$
    Not unless you live there . . . anything else is insurance fraud, which would DEFINITELY boost your rates if you are caught.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

I've added the requests. Mississauga is similar to Brampton; it is terrible in central Mississauga and not too bad elsewhere.

Can you guys notice the distinct difference between Toronto and non-Toronto regions? Toronto drivers just suck in general, but there are definitely some regions that are better than others.

Oh joy, thanks for data to back up my observation on population stupidity. As a resident of Scarborough I can safely ride in any direction other than north, south, east or west.

There is some method to this insurance madness. I do agree that Pickering drivers are much better than North East Toronto drivers. I am surprised when they are polite and show courtesy, so I suppose they deserve better rates.

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoBoy View Post
    Oh joy, thanks for data to back up my observation on population stupidity. As a resident of Scarborough I can safely ride in any direction other than north, south, east or west.
    Well, at least the further you ride from home, the safer you are

It is very important that you ride where the cagers (in general) have at least a bit of driving ability and courtesy. I've lived in Scarborough before, and the drivers there display neither of these traits.

I'm with StateFarm. When I moved this year from Etobicoke, rated 4, to non-central Mississauga (Malton) which is rated 15 my insurance premium dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by psycho44 View Post
    I'm with StateFarm. When I moved this year from Etobicoke, rated 4, to non-central Mississauga (Malton) which is rated 15 my insurance premium dropped.
    Non-Central Mississauga is rated a 9 in my list . . . CENTRAL Mississauga is 15.

Think of Ontario as a big jigsaw puzzle, with each puzzle piece representing a territory. The number, shape, and sizes of the puzzles pieces vary from one insurer to another. It is possible that State Farm has grouped Malton with another more low-risk territory which is why your premium decreased. It is also possible that State Farm grouped Etobicoke with another more high-risk territory.

While most of this list makes sense, speaking from personal experience, my insurance went down (only a few bucks a month) when I moved from Etobicoke to Mississauga South. It was with the same company (TD) and nothing else has changed, just the address.

no north brampton/caledon?

Quote Originally Posted by Team_Green View Post
    I will take a look into this when I can.

Resurrection, I thought you were pretty funny at first but man give it up. Our rates our high and we have to deal with it. Its not nessassarily a scam just the industry could be better.

You are acting like a 12 yr old who listens to to much Art Bell with all this wah wah scam ******** you post everytime theres an insurance thread.

Resurrection

Quote Originally Posted by [evo] View Post
    Resurrection, I thought you were pretty funny at first but man give it up. Our rates our high and we have to deal with it. Its not nessassarily a scam just the industry could be better.

You are acting like a 12 yr old who listens to to much Art Bell with all this wah wah scam ******** you post everytime theres an insurance thread.
    I am funny. So how are you dealing with high rates, by paying the inflated costs? That's a good way to deal with it. 12 yr old, damn I was going for younger. I actually don't post every time there's an insurance thread, only when the BS is flying fast and furious. And it is definitely a scam. Look at the profits of insurance companies and you'll see it's a scam. Look back to around 2003 -2004 where the profits were in hundreds of million dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
    And it is definitely a scam. Look at the profits of insurance companies and you'll see it's a scam. Look back to around 2003 -2004 where the profits were in hundreds of million dollars.
    Look at the overall profit from the last 10 years combined, and then invest your life savings in the insurance industry. I've you you why rational investors don't do this, but you never answer. No one ever does.

I won't deny that we've had some really great years, and we've also had some really poor ones. The are the cycles called the hard and soft markets, which you would understand if you know as much as you claim you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Team_Green View Post
    The groups are based on postal code . . . let me know what yours is and I will look it up. For example, L7K is in the following group:

Bradford, Newcastle, Port Perry, Uxbridge, Orangeville: 10

Banned

I appreciate the info Viffer, but I just wish this info was more readily available from the insurance industry.

When I last moved, I inadvertently went from a '3' zone to a '15' zone and my insurance doubled in price - which pi$$ed me right off. Had I known about these zones beforehand, I would have moved to another good zone.

If this information was readily available from insurance companies - it could effect property prices (who wants to move to an area where insurance will double or triple?) - if people knew that their irresponsible driving directly effected their property values, maybe people would drive more responsibly.