Interesting: Claims experience in different regions - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Interesting: Claims experience in different regions

Re: Interesting: Claims experience in different regions

Quote Originally Posted by Surnet Insurance View Post
    I found it interesting that a particular insurance company rates Barrie as a worse area to drive in compared to Milton. In a year or so that will change very fast once it is a bit more developed.
    Without looking at data, I would think that both cities are equally likely to have a commuter population that puts on many miles. Also, keep in mind that Barrie is on the snow belt and gets hit with much worse winter storms than Milton does.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    Without looking at data, I would think that both cities are equally likely to have a commuter population that puts on many miles. Also, keep in mind that Barrie is on the snow belt and gets hit with much worse winter storms than Milton does.
    I would think that the Barrie area being as well established as it is might have something to do with it. Milton is a relatively new area in terms of what it is now. It usually takes a few years before the claims start to come in, doesn't it?

Resurrection

Quote Originally Posted by stevie t View Post
    you still need a TSSA certified inspection if you do your own, or is that just for turning the service on?
    No inspection required. Inspection is only for OEM, any add on or re in re doesn't require an inspection. That's the part I want changed. Just today I came across a situation.I was going to shut down a laundry mat, because there were 4 lines disconnected but not capped, just shut off at the valves, also 4 vents disconnected from the dryers but not from the main trunk. He had to pay us over $400 for me to sit there and wait for him to run and get vent caps, and 1/2" plugs and he had to install them, or his business was going to be shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by Surnet Insurance View Post
    I found it interesting that a particular insurance company rates Barrie as a worse area to drive in compared to Milton. In a year or so that will change very fast once it is a bit more developed.
    Could be weather related. Barrie usually get stormed really hard in winter so accidents are a common scene there as compared to Milton.

Lived in North York for a year. Everyone tries to kill you on purpose as opposed to downtown where it's just everyone rushing.

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    Of course, population density has a lot to do with it; however, population stupidity is also a large factor. I have lived both in and out of Toronto, and there is a VERY big difference in driving skill and courtesy. Toronto drivers, in general lack skill, are impatient, and are rude.
    You won't get any argument from me regarding the population stupidity of Toronto and it's drivers but do you really think the guy who used to live in West North York and relocates several miles down the road is suddenly less stupid and should therefore be rewarded with a lower premium? I already know your answer. )

It just seems like a very accurate formula for calculating risk and premium value. I can see it in the area of claims due to theft but not general riding or driving practices.
    Last edited by HammerDriver; 05-31-2009 at 08:01 PM.
    03 BMW R1100S Boxer Cup
    09 BMW F800GS

It's not that we are stupid, it's just we don't care. We value our time above our fellow man. Hence they're stupid for not doing 150 in a 100zone.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerDriver View Post
    You won't get any argument from me regarding the population stupidity of Toronto and it's drivers but do you really think the guy who used to live in West North York and relocates several miles down the road is suddenly less stupid and should therefore be rewarded with a lower premium? I already know your answer. )

It just seems like a very accurate formula for calculating risk and premium value. I can see it in the area of claims due to theft but not general riding or driving practices.
    The territory borders must be drawn somewhere. We could make it more of a continuous increase, but that would cost a LOT to administer and wouldn't be worth the money. With the advancement of computing power, we are now able to analyze neighbouring territories more accurately by using spatial analysis.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

I was wondering, hows the rates in Barrie?