Got ripped off...HELP - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Got ripped off...HELP

Re: Got ripped off...HELP

Quote Originally Posted by needabike View Post
    you know a good place for a tune up? and my tires are 190 i think
    I wanted to know specifically what tire is was as someone told you it's the wrong tire for the bike?
    What make/model is it. (190 / 50 is what that bike came with from the factory - it has a 6" wide rear wheel).

Banned

oh, okay, yeah ill post it soon as i get home, couldnt ride today because its wet outside here

You're a bit far from Downtown and it's kind of prime riding season right now. I'm not sure any shop is willing to take you in to do a tune up at a reasonable amount of time + it'll run you a few hundred dollars since (don't quote me on it) there's 16 valves in total that should be adjusted. Removing the forks to change the steering bearing, probably need to change out the fork oil and seals.

That's just the tip of the iceberg; if the previous owner didn't bother with any maintenance at all which you probably don't have any previous knowledge than I would definitely check over everything before hitting the road. It is you life we are talking about

A bike isn't like a car since we don't have seat belts lolz and you have a 750 so you might be alittle happy with the throttle when you take it out. I know it's kind of useless to say it now but you should've had the previous owner to safety it for you >.>

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoGSX View Post
    You're a bit far from Downtown and it's kind of prime riding season right now. I'm not sure any shop is willing to take you in to do a tune up at a reasonable amount of time + it'll run you a few hundred dollars since (don't quote me on it) there's 16 valves in total that should be adjusted. Removing the forks to change the steering bearing, probably need to change out the fork oil and seals.

That's just the tip of the iceberg; if the previous owner didn't bother with any maintenance at all which you probably don't have any previous knowledge than I would definitely check over everything before hitting the road. It is you life we are talking about

A bike isn't like a car since we don't have seat belts lolz and you have a 750 so you might be alittle happy with the throttle when you take it out. I know it's kind of useless to say it now but you should've had the previous owner to safety it for you >.>
    Unfortunately, having a safety has nothing to do with how well-maintained the bike is. It basically means turn signals work, the bike starts, and there's tread on the tires. Having a safety won't have averted a tune-up or a need to check valve clearances.

--- D

Why do you just choose to take the last part of what I said and take it out of context. I obviously know a safety doesn't involve valve adjustment and the other bs. I was merely stating he could've saved some time, money and headache had he asked the seller to safety the bike for him so at least he knows its rideable.

I suggested a tune-up. He doesn't necessary have to do it. His main concern right now is getting the bike safetied so he can get it on the road which as I previously stated; should've had the seller do it instead of him.

The only rip off here is this shady mechanic, loose fairings and "wrong" tires, 2000 what nonsense. It's time for you to either find a good mechanic or get your hands dirty and take the bike apart, you'll need to learn how sooner or later.

You couldn't pay me enough to take a bike to Zdeno's....but like you said you 're not really in the know on that kind of stuff.

PM me if you want the name/number of a couple of good honest mechanics. They're not in KW but within an hour's drive and WELL worth it.

Banned

I fixed the **** thats moving. Plus I alrdy got a safety, I found someone that would, now im going through fixing things piece by piece, cant really afford a mechanic right now, stupid tuition. ****in school full of ****in crooks', $500 for a ****in **** parking passs, **** **** ***

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
    You couldn't pay me enough to take a bike to Zdeno's....but like you said you 're not really in the know on that kind of stuff.

PM me if you want the name/number of a couple of good honest mechanics. They're not in KW but within an hour's drive and WELL worth it.
    Gee Kell, when did you get here? You might know me elsewhere as PC
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by needabike View Post
    I fixed the **** thats moving. Plus I alrdy got a safety, I found someone that would, now im going through fixing things piece by piece, cant really afford a mechanic right now, stupid tuition. ****in school full of ****in crooks', $500 for a ****in **** parking passs, **** **** ***
    I'm just going to stop your rant for a second to remind you that it's really important to go to school.

It's frustrating but no bike is worth more then your education.

I know you know this but I didnt do what I needed to do in school and I'm paying the hard way. Stay positive.

With the manual you'll be able to work your magic at a fraction of the cost of what it would cost to do.

Keep it up man good to see you got it going.

Sorry for the fatherly speach
    The artist formely known as Frenchfry

Was hoping for a good laugh somewhere in this thread was waiting for him to say he had GSX-F and would come factory with a sport/tourer tire

Banned

I was going to post the type of tire I have but I got really drunk last night and forgot. Now I feel like crap

It's a 15 year old bike.
    Why not show her some love and she will love you right back.
    As much as you want to go fast, lets just think of something else.
    How to stop. why not take the calipers off and give them a clean, hey and while you are doing the brakes why not change the fluid as well.
    You also have a sound knowlege that the braking system is working as good as it can.
    Think about the bearings, they are old, they may be fine but wouldn't new bearings be nice and they are not expensive just time consuming to remove and put in, why not do the head stock, wheels and swing arm bearings.
    obviously lets do the oil and filter, I bet a nice K&N air filter would be nice but just check it hasn't got one already as they do not need to be replaced just washed .
    Maybe change the coolant as well as it can be overlooked.
    New spark plugs would be nice if they are old, have a look at the caps, they might be cracked. why not replace the HT leads as they might look fine but could be broken inside, it can make the world of difference to an older bike.
    Why not be nice and replace the fork oil as well? seeing as the forks are apart and all clean do the seals too as they will be old and it is peace of mind again.

All the above things are not to bad to do if you are a reasonable bad yard mechanic. The valves could be a problem, if you mess this up you can ruin your engine, get it right and she will purr.
    Now the cost of doing this in a shop for valves alone will cost about $600, the parts will cost about $5 each, now you have sixteen shims that may need to be done, but if all sixteen shims are out the bike would run teribble so maybe three or four would need to be replaced.
    so work out what you can do and what you want to spend.

But like every one else says GET A HAYNES MANUAL!!!