Got ripped off...HELP - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Got ripped off...HELP

Re: Got ripped off...HELP

i dont know much about that years gixxer... but a tires a tire man .. go take a look at your tires.. if there tread on them there fine it dont matter what "type" of tire it is ... And for the record i dont know about the canadian tire in kitchener but the local one here is not picky at all.. they pretty much will pass anything unless it stupid obvious!

Sucky that you bought a maintenence nightmare... I hate the whole As Is market for that very reason. Was givin some advice from a friend while I was searching for my ride... "Don't buy as is... get it cert for the sale..."
    Glad I took her advice! Like you, I have no mechanical experience with motorcycles.
    Best of luck getting it road worthy sooner that later.
    Sometimes the sun makes beggars believers
    And sometimes a shrine is built to deceive her
    In between let oblivion ring
    Whoa let me hear all you sad angels sing

Appaloosa

Dude listen to what people are saying:

- $2000 sounds nuts for what you are suggesting
    - It doesn't matter if you have dirt bike tires as long as they are DOT and fit your rim properly, and they have enough tread you are OK. 180 or 190 should be just fine for your bike.

- the "bird cage" is where the upper fairing attaches. Try to find out where the attachment points are located and get it to work.... it can't be that hard.

- The light.... what's broken? Is it just burnt out? I don't know that vintage suzuki but most bikes a bulb is easy to replace and cheap too.

- Even if you needed new tires you can get a set for under $400 if you look around and you can get a place like Rosie Toes to install the tires if you bring him the wheels off the bike for $10/wheel, that was how much he was charging a couple of years back.... dunno if that has changed.

- The funny sound might be the biggest PIA out of the bunch. You can find out if you need a bearing by spinning the front wheel off the ground and listening to it.

- Get a new mechanic.... I'd fix what needs fixing first.

at the very least go to a second mechanic and get a second opinion.

Might be worth it to put that bike on a trailer and bring it to a reputable shop in T.O

Quote Originally Posted by needabike View Post
    Do you guys know a good place to buy used parts or new parts for a 96 gsx 750? Im thinking I'll fix it myself
    Yet at the same time you admit previously that you know little of bikes.

Get it repaired at a pro.

Unless your purchase agreement (bill of sale) states specifically certain things, be it that it would pass a safety inspection without question, or that it was in 100% perfect mechanical condition, or something similar, the adage "let the buyer beware applies."

Again, if you knew little about bikes, it might have been beneficial to have someone that does know something about bikes check the bike over with you prior to purchase.

Either way, suck it up, go get the old girl all fixed up, and ride it with pride and joy, and effort well spent.

Banned

Question Re: Got ripped off...HELP

I think i will try to fix most of the stuff myself because although I'm not too familiar with bikes, i am pretty handy, could you guys give me some names of good honest mechanics around kitchener, even toronto. Also its not the light bulbs its like the headlight houseing thing is broken on one side and not attached to the birdcage i geuss...... if that makes any sense....

I think i will try to fix most of the stuff myself because although I'm not too familiar with bikes, i am pretty handy, could you guys give me some names of good honest mechanics around kitchener, even toronto. Also its not the light bulbs its like the headlight houseing thing is broken on one side and not attached to the birdcage i geuss...... if that makes any sense....

But does the headlight goes ON when the bike is running?
    By that I mean, does it emit light?
    Does it have a working high beam?

That is all that is needed for a safety inspection.

The fact that is lose has to be addressed, but I don't think that would be expensive to fix
    Security transcends technology

Banned

Yeah the headlights work, both low and high beams. I think im going to take pictures and post it tonight

There are tons of parts out there, you should be able to get them relatively cheap considering the year of the bike. Just place a few ads in the classifieds and go from there, check Kijiji, craigslist, salvage yards.

D

ps. this place is great!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.oshawacycle.com/

Sounds like it's

ebay time. There's going to be a world of difference between what the $2000 mechanic said was wrong and what actually needs fixing to get the bike safetied. Find out what needs doing for a safety and go from there. Get a Haynes manual. Get a metric socket set. Get to work.

If you want to know about used parts dealers the use yellowpages.ca. I've bought from Ontario Cycle salvage and found him dear on some stuff, but he has virtually everything you may need. There's also another place in London which sells used parts. They're cheaper on some stuff but much smaller.

Bottom line though mate. Don't panic. Everything is fixable and most bike stuff can be done by the owner. And a 1996 bike is not a bad place to learn.

I do know a guy who does good plastic welding work. If you're taking off the fairing and the broken tabs are still attached to your birdcage, save them. They can (in most cases) be repaired. In fact, take off all the plastic as a good start point. You should get to see the broken headlight and you'll be able to get a good look at the engine and check for anything 'strange'. And you can give the engine a clean down as well. There really is tons of stuff you can do, but like I said, be patient. You aint going to be riding by 5pm tonight. Especially if you do have a bearing issue on your front end.
    Last edited by Fiery254; 05-22-2009 at 09:37 AM.

You are pretty close to pass certification if the lights work, even if they are not firmly attached to the bike...
    and if the tires have enough rubber, even if they are "sport touring"...

Go to a different mechanic. Whoever asked you for $2,000 to fix these things is a crook
    Security transcends technology

Banned

Whats a haynes manual?

Whats a haynes manual?
    Company who makes repair manual for all sorts of vehicles
    The artist formely known as Frenchfry

Like I said.

Whats a haynes manual?
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/HAYNES-REPAIR-MAN...3A1%7C294%3A50

It's ebay time.

Re: Like I said.

I would also do what some of the guys said, get it at another mechanic, sometimes some guys get lazy and rather push away harder work then take it. You can also get a guy like Rosey toes to come over and inspect the bike, i dont knwo how far you are and if it's possible.

Hell get one of the guy's here to go check it out and give you some basic pointers and do like fiery said and get on ebay and get your parts there.

Or

Do like me and spend the money and let a pro do it. but obviously that wasnt the option you where looking for at first.
    The artist formely known as Frenchfry

Banned

It sounds like the mechanic does NOT WANT TO DO THE WORK. They are probably busy, and do not want to tie up a mechanic for a day when they could do....lets see.... maybe $2000 worth of work?

If the tires have some meat on them they will pass. If there are cracks in the rubber near the bead, it wont. You can get tires and instalation for WAY less than $600.

Ontario Cycle Salvage will likely have any chunks you might need. They have lots of 80's and 90's odds and sods. Give them a call. They are in toronto. On Kingston Road.

http://www.ontariocyclesalvage.com/

You could probably ask them about used tires as well if need be.

Again, dont panic. I'm sure it can get worked out, but i'm really surprised that you went shopping alone, when you dont know that much about bikes.

Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossi86 View Post
    That mechanic is obviously trying to rip you off!
    I'm not sure about the 97 750 but I had the 99 which uses a 190 tire. Even if yours uses a 180 tire, the mechanic is trying to rip you off cause putting a 190 instead of 180 doesn't mean the bike is unsafe, just cornering ability is a little compromised if you wanna drag your knees.
    For the headlight and front cowl, take it apart yourself and see what's wrong with it, broken tabs or missing fasteners or whatever. You can use a drill and zip ties for broken tabs.
    For the forks, just take your bike to an honest mechanic like kneedragger88, random shops and mechanics will just rip you off

Banned

I dont really know anyone that knows about bikes. I have one friend who works on bikes but he now moved to BC

Banned

who is rosey toes?

who is rosey toes?
    Rosey Toes Motorcycles Inc
    131 Wendell Ave
    North York, ON M9N3K9
    416-241-2523

See this tread also

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ght=rosey+toes