When to replace brake pads?

Thread: When to replace brake pads?

When to replace brake pads?

Are there anyways to see whether or not the pads needs replacing? I know you can use a flash light and look at the pads visually to see if they are worn down, but Im not sure what is considered too thin since I've never seen new pads before.

Will the pads make any noise when its too thin?

Re: When to replace brake pads?

I have done a few brakes, but never seen a motorcycle pad have squeelers.

Best way to tell is by looking...if they do look thin, replace them.

I think its best to throw on new pads, they'r like $40/set. For $80 / 2 sets you can have really good quality EBC HH Pads.

Do your brakes feel weak? or they take a long time to stop or they'r squeeling?

Squeeling --> also caused by glazing...

I don't believe its weak, but at the same time, it doesn't feel strong. The brake lever vibrates a bit when I pull it all the way in. It doesn't squeel or make any typical sounds a car brake would make when the pads are gone. But then again, I've never had a new bike before. This bike was bought used from GPBikes. Had it for 2 and a half years.

What is considered thin? how many mm?
    Last edited by 150dpi; 05-15-2009 at 05:04 PM.

i have the exact same problem brake lever vibrates and all and have the same bike in tirbal orange lol, so should i change my brakes 2, brakes are good but dont feel as strong

I had a slight pulsation and squeeling from the front pads on my R6. I took off the calipers and cleaned up the pads with fine grit sand paper, sprayed them off with brake cleaner and reinstalled. Brakes are like new. Very easy job I must say.

Just be sure not to squeeze the brake lever while the pads are out. This will cause the pistons to close in and make it very difficult to reinstall the pads. Hope this helps.
    Always Leaving...

2009 Kawasaki ZX6-R
    (Mods: Progrip Tank Protector, TechSpec Tank Pads, Renthal Grips)
    2007 GSXR 600 (Sold)
    (Mods: M4 Slipon, Blue Pazzo Shorties, Carbon Fiber Chain Guard, Renthal Kevlar Grips, Puig Double Bubble, Stomp Grips, Driven Bar Ends, Vortex Rearsets)
    2000 Yamaha R6 (Sold)

Pads have wear indicators,when looking at a pad it's cut down the middle almost to the metal backing,when the line is gone time to change(min. thickness)
    As for the the lever pulsating when applied this could be a few things dirt,grease on pads and rotors or rotors out of round and need to be checked for thickness and run-out with in spec's.
    Life begins at 186mph,mirrors are optional

Quote Originally Posted by rocket12r View Post
    Pads have wear indicators,when looking at a pad it's cut down the middle almost to the metal backing,when the line is gone time to change(min. thickness)
    As for the the lever pulsating when applied this could be a few things dirt,grease on pads and rotors or rotors out of round and need to be checked for thickness and run-out with in spec's.
    Just to add, the indicator lines look like this:
    SOAR Novice #113

Sweet. I'm glad I was referred to this site! The info in this thread may be what I needed to look at! Thanks all!

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Sure they'll make noise after they're too thin.
    But at that point you'll need a new rotor as well!