Beginners need recommendations/advice - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beginners need recommendations/advice

Re: Beginners need recommendations/advice

since you already have some experience then I would rely on what feels good.
    the venox isn't a bad looking bike. I don't think it'll hold up its depreciation though. remember its an itty bitty 250, so you may just wind up looking for something bigger for the highway very soon. (also, please read the sticky) cheers!
    Last edited by zoomerthe1; 05-11-2009 at 04:26 PM.
    Got Torque?

Quote Originally Posted by SherryReynolds View Post
    Now I won't blab on any more except to ask an honest crowd's opinion of a Buell Blast. Apparently they have a lower seat configuration available? Even saucy replys will be considered. We will just save the sauce for dinner .

From everything I have ever seen, any chinese bike will probabably server you better than the blast. The depreciation on them is insane. I would take the Kymco anyday over the blast. The Kymco is cheap enough that you can buy it, enjoy it and take your lumps on it and then move up to something bigger. A 250cc cruiser on the highway would definitely not be where I would want to be, but around town or in the country, you'll have a great time.

yeah the V-STAR is a fun bike...that what we used at humber, for my M1.
    well good luck but your 1st choice is a beautiful bike.
    no.one.on.the.corner.has.swagger.like.us.

RodneyReynolds

Yea, and Honda has a CBR125R + 3 Years Warrant + Gear for $3,500 price tag, which is amazing. Although I'd still prefer the Kymco Venox myself, the CBR125 might be a better starter bike for my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkster View Post
    nice and light compared to what? lol Mine only weighs 260lbs! haha

CBR125R is a great starter bike if you're looking for a sporty.. but the on you picked looks sweet too. I'm going to go for a cruiser bike like that next. I like the sound of that style better. but I love my pinkster too.

The Honda cbr125R- although ppl love to make fun of it is a great first bike.. its so much fun to ride... its really light weight compared to others so your 5'1" wife would fit on it perfectly and be able to handle the weight too. I hate how the bigger cc bikes are so damn heavy!
    Last edited by RodneyReynolds; 05-11-2009 at 08:50 PM.

SherryReynolds

Quote Originally Posted by zoomerthe1 View Post
    since you already have some experience then I would rely on what feels good.
    the venox isn't a bad looking bike. I don't think it'll hold up its depreciation though. remember its an itty bitty 250, so you may just wind up looking for something bigger for the highway very soon. (also, please read the sticky) cheers!
    I went through most of the sticky reads above, and I'm still working my way through. There is lots of info there. Thanks !

The sticky above is one of the reasons I was a bit curious about the Blast. Maybe a used bike I would not feel so worried about if I ditched on it a few times starting off, lol . I can guaranty that a few spills will be in order, since it's going to be a new experience for me. We had a couple of vehicles that were standard, so I understand the concept of a how clutch action works, but the rest will be up to me grasping the coordination, and learning the rest from whoever will be instructing me on course, heh.

From everything I have ever seen, any chinese bike will probabably server you better than the blast. The depreciation on them is insane. I would take the Kymco anyday over the blast. The Kymco is cheap enough that you can buy it, enjoy it and take your lumps on it and then move up to something bigger. A 250cc cruiser on the highway would definitely not be where I would want to be, but around town or in the country, you'll have a great time.
    I sincerely hope once I get the chance to sit on the Kymco Venox that it fits me. Thanks for letting me know about the Blast's value issues!

From what I understand about the graduated licence system here in Ontario, we won't be doing any big highway riding any time soon. There is a limit on the speed you can travel and the roads allowed on. Hubby tells me that the larger cc's would be meant for getting up the speed to pass someone...but I'll check that need to pass another vehicle until my comfort level and skills are acceptable to do so .

nice and light compared to what? lol Mine only weighs 260lbs! haha

CBR125R is a great starter bike if you're looking for a sporty.. but the on you picked looks sweet too. I'm going to go for a cruiser bike like that next. I like the sound of that style better. but I love my pinkster too.

The Honda cbr125R- although ppl love to make fun of it is a great first bike.. its so much fun to ride... its really light weight compared to others so your 5'1" wife would fit on it perfectly and be able to handle the weight too. I hate how the bigger cc bikes are so damn heavy!
    Hi! looks like we will be making new friends here very quickly . Hubby and I will be checking out the CBR125R some time this week when our schedules click n' we can sneak out of the house without the kids .

Honda has a great deal on that he mentioned in the previous post above. How can we go wrong? And I bet selling it would be a breeze next year when we are ready to move up a notch, and someone else is ready to take it for a learners bike! It also would not surprise me in the least if we end up with a bike each at some point...

Bah, who cares if someone wants to laugh at me. This is going to be for the fun of it, something new to learn, and a hobby that my husband and I will be able to enjoy together for many years to come .

Well I have a 250 and my sister has a suzuki savage ls650. She seems to really like it.
    Life is too short for traffic

Welcome to the site. Good luck on the search for your bike.

SherryReynolds

Quote Originally Posted by RodneyReynolds View Post
    Yea, and Honda has a CBR125R + 3 Years Warrant + Gear for $3,500 price tag, which is amazing. Although I'd still prefer the Kymco Venox myself, the CBR125 might be a better starter bike for my wife.
    For an update, we went to the Honda dealership last week and checked out the CBR125 that has that great Price Point + Gear. The only problem is that you can't buy the bike outright. It's 14% interest over a 3 Year Term, so there is a catch to it. Pay by monthly installments. By the end of the term you pretty much pay enough interest to cover the cost of the clothing. They're burying the cost of the duds in interest payments .

We're most likely going to just put the cash down outright and buy a bike. At this point in time it really just makes sense to buy the helmets and clothing first before getting the bike. We would need the proper equipment for the Course, anyways. Might as well get gear that looks good and isn't plastered with the Honda logo.

That way if/when we migrate to another bike from another manufacturer, we won't be stuck with wearing Honda gear and forced to buy new .

Oh yes, the CBR125 is not too high for me to manage...I'm on the balls of my feet...enough to feel comfortable and not off balance.
    Last edited by SherryReynolds; 05-23-2009 at 02:06 PM. Reason: added something else...

From what I understand about the graduated licence system here in Ontario, we won't be doing any big highway riding any time soon. There is a limit on the speed you can travel and the roads allowed on. Hubby tells me that the larger cc's would be meant for getting up the speed to pass someone...but I'll check that need to pass another vehicle until my comfort level and skills are acceptable to do so .
    Just a note about this, the M1 licence (the one that does not allow 100km/h highways) is only good for 90 days. That means you only have 3 months before you get an M2 and can ride on the highways. After that it is still at your discretion to hit the highways of course. A 250cc will generally be able to cruise at 110km/h competently and with some early planning can pass without too much difficulty.
    Wow, I didn't know we'd become such good friends, because if we had, you'd know that I give **** before I give favors and I don't even give my best friends **** so your chances of getting a favor are pretty ******* slim. - Go

I went through most of the sticky reads above, and I'm still working my way through. There is lots of info there. Thanks !

The sticky above is one of the reasons I was a bit curious about the Blast. Maybe a used bike I would not feel so worried about if I ditched on it a few times starting off, lol . I can guaranty that a few spills will be in order, since it's going to be a new experience for me. We had a couple of vehicles that were standard, so I understand the concept of a how clutch action works, but the rest will be up to me grasping the coordination, and learning the rest from whoever will be instructing me on course, heh.

I sincerely hope once I get the chance to sit on the Kymco Venox that it fits me. Thanks for letting me know about the Blast's value issues!

Hi! looks like we will be making new friends here very quickly . Hubby and I will be checking out the CBR125R some time this week when our schedules click n' we can sneak out of the house without the kids .

Honda has a great deal on that he mentioned in the previous post above. How can we go wrong? And I bet selling it would be a breeze next year when we are ready to move up a notch, and someone else is ready to take it for a learners bike! It also would not surprise me in the least if we end up with a bike each at some point...

Bah, who cares if someone wants to laugh at me. This is going to be for the fun of it, something new to learn, and a hobby that my husband and I will be able to enjoy together for many years to come .
    Welcome to both of you, I like the attitude. The little bikes are great fun, just two up is a bit pointless.

+++1 on the recommendation of the Kawasaki EN500 (sometimes called the Vulcan500) It is small and light and a cruiser style.

Not a lot bigger than the Marauder 250 but having a 500CC engine you won't get bored and tired of it after a few months of riding like you will with a 250CC.

You can see it here: http://www.kawasaki.ca/model/vulcan-500-ltd:1128

A little more than the Marauder but you won't be looking at selling it in a year because you have outgrown it.

I don't quite get the bike manufacturers these days they are selling small 125 and 250 CC bikes to beginners knowing full well that after a few months they will be selling them to move up to something bigger. When I started Riding there were all kinds of 450 and 550 CC bikes that were considered beginner bikes and you could ride them for a few years before feeling the need to go bigger. Now other than Kawi EN 500 and Suzuki GS500 or the Gladius there really is nothing between 250 and 600CC.
    Last edited by taximan62; 05-23-2009 at 08:47 PM.

Welcome. I'm a beginner myself but IMO look at 500 and up - you both sound serious and you'll quickly be looking for more if you start at 125-250. I started with a Ninja 500R and now I'm STARTING looking for more - less than a year later. If you're not sure, buy used.

Have fun and take a riding course, even if it does not give an insurance break.

Hiya and welcome! This is my first post on this board b.t.w, so I'll say my hellos as well.

Quote Originally Posted by taximan62 View Post
    I don't quite get the bike manufacturers these days they are selling small 125 and 250 CC bikes to beginners knowing full well that after a few months they will be selling them to move up to something bigger. When I started Riding there were all kinds of 450 and 550 CC bikes that were considered beginner bikes and you could ride them for a few years before feeling the need to go bigger. Now other than Kawi EN 500 and Suzuki GS500 or the Gladius there really is nothing between 250 and 600CC.
    You know you're right in the extent that many riders will probably transition over to a larger more powerful bike after a short while, but what's wrong with offering a bike to new riders that doesn't seem as 'menacing' as a larger one? I'm a new rider (M1), and have limited my bike search to a 250cc max, not only because it's cheaper on gas and insurance, but that I know full well that I'm putting myself at a higher risk of accident with a larger bike before I truly know how to handle myself and it. Anyways, different strokes for different folks, but I'm glad at least that there are more options for the new rider than simply 500-600cc's and up.

SherryReynolds

All the recommendations are great! Thanks so much to everyone for your input .

It's kind of funny this...because all of it started by me mentioning to my hubby that I was thinking about getting a scooter (50cc, no less) to use to commute to the Go Train, lol.

There are so many options available. Going from a 50cc automatic scooter, up to a 500cc bike is quite a jump, and all options available in between can boggle a newbie looking to start!

Now from what I have read, 125cc is not going to cut it on the highway at all and obviously would not be the wisest choice for attempting a licence. However, if my usage only entails short commutes in our general area, it could be just the thing to get me from point A to B without having to haul the minivan out of the garage. The College Courses seem to have lots of selection to ride, so these, I imagine, would be the one you use to get your licence if you're going that route.

I've yet to sit on the Kymco Venox for fit like we had hoped. It seems the dealer nearest to us is having supply issues? Anyways, a lot of this bike shopping depends on if I can reach the pavement or not, and I seem to have a taste for the sportier stuff.

Looks like the Kawasaki dealership is next, rofl...

Get a used Honda VLX 600. Very low seat height.

"I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

SherryReynolds

Here's a review I managed to dig up on the CBR125.

http://www.wheels.ca/Motorcycles/article/29522

Some seem to give it thumbs up...

I still think it would be easy as pie to sell the year after if we step up a notch...resale pretty much guaranteed within days peak season, I bet, and we would not lose a lot of cash.