leaving bike outside in the rain?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: leaving bike outside in the rain?

dajaga

leaving bike outside in the rain?

hey, im wondering about leaving my bike outside in the rain. i dont have a garage to put it inside. is it alright to leave the bike outside in the rain, i know i have to oil the chain. but is there any long term damage that might occur.

Re: leaving bike outside in the rain?

um yes...if i were you, get a bike cover, it will serve a couple of purposes, but keeping rain off is one important one...

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

This is also another option http://www.rideinn.ca/

lol! wow, I guess there are so many fair-weather weekend warriors here in Ontario. Get yourself a cover, or throw a tarp over it.

dajaga

well i ride in anything except the snow. thank god for heated gear

go to Crappytire and get a tarp.

get a cover for $30 from princess auto

get a cover if you leave it at your house but if you have to leave it at work outside in the rain it will be np , bikes are not afraid of water .

okay i have a question about this too; my bike is currently being kept outside w/o a cover, on account of there's no call for rain 'til friday ...

i WANT to go get a cover... but the only way to get to a place to buy one is ride my bike, and soo ... would a cover come in a small enough package to fit in my backpack? cuz that's the only way i can get to a place to get one!
    Sup; I'm Chels.

They say there's a heaven for those who will wait --
    Some say it's better, but I say it ain't.
    I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints;
    the Sinners are much more fun

Quote Originally Posted by supitschels View Post
    okay i have a question about this too; my bike is currently being kept outside w/o a cover, on account of there's no call for rain 'til friday ...

i WANT to go get a cover... but the only way to get to a place to buy one is ride my bike, and soo ... would a cover come in a small enough package to fit in my backpack? cuz that's the only way i can get to a place to get one!
    YES . canadian tire sells tarps that fold up real small . for example an 8foot tarp could fit in your pocket . a 30" tarp could fit in a small backpack , it's surprising but true . you'll find them in the bargain bin or on an ailse end , they are usually green or blue .

The actual motorcycle covers come in a fair sized box. If you could take it out of the box and make it fit your backpack, I wouldnt foresee a problem. You'd probably have to ditch the box there.

As for a tarp, (which is what I use), not even an issue cuz its folded up neatly into a square/rectangle and definately small enough to fit into any size backpack.

OP: I wouldnt leave my bike in the rain, at least cover with a tarp. I would assume where ever water seeps in just makes it easier to rust.
    Last edited by Kuro; 05-05-2009 at 01:39 AM.

sorry , if you were talking a cover like the one at princess auto , it would fit in your backpack . it's about the size of a school notebook or such item . no thicker than 3 inches or so .

princess auto on exeter road. 30 bucks. small box.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuro View Post
    The actual motorcycle covers come in a fair sized box. If you could take it out of the box and make it fit your backpack, I wouldnt foresee a problem. You'd probably have to ditch the box there.

As for a tarp, (which is what I use), not even an issue cuz its folded up neatly into a square/rectangle and definately small enough to fit into any size backpack.

OP: I wouldnt leave my bike in the rain, at least cover with a tarp. I would assume where ever water seeps in just makes it easier to rust.
    With the original box/cover, just bungy it down on the back seat!!

I hear bikes melt in the rain.......

The princess auto cover works fairly well and packs small enough to fit into a 21L side case with a bottle of scotch and a bottle of wine.
    95 RS125 (track), 05 DL650 (street), 89 FZR400 (project)

+1 on Princess Auto. They often put their covers on sale but if they aren't on sale at the time you buy it, just ask a clerk for the sale price - they have a way of saying 'yes' to these simple requests. I picked mine up there for $17.00. You can also pick up the bike bungy thing (looks like a net) for $2.00.

Get a larger cover than you think you need, they seem to be a bit small.
    Last edited by JZ67; 05-05-2009 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by katrider View Post
    +1 on Princess Auto. They often put their covers on sale but if they aren't on sale at the time you buy it, just ask a clerk for the sale price - they have a way of saying 'yes' to these simple requests. I picked mine up there for $17.00. You can also pick up the bike bungy thing (looks like a net) for $2.00.

Get a larger cover than you think you need, they seem to be a bit small.

+1. I had a Medium for my 250, a large for my 600's. Don't even bother with the small.

Banned

I got mine from Ebay, for $16 and its great. got it in a week.

you should check there. from what ive seen, they are always the same price ie: buy it for 1 dollar, shipping is 15, or by it for 8, shipping is 8 buy it for 16, shipping is free.

anyways. Im happy with my cover. lots of colours to choose from

I can't believe people are recommending a tarp from canadian tire.

Your better off to leave it uncovered than to use a tarp or some cheap mc cover! They flap around in the wind and take the shine right off your bike.

A cheapie is great for occasional outdoor use, or in the garage. Look for one that is rated for outdoor use.

Burlington during the week / Pickering most weekends

I got my waterproof cover from Ebay as well. $10 shipping included from China.

Yea the first time it rained, my bike got completely soaked. I told the guy I wanted a real waterproof cover, he said he would send another one. That was last year and I am still waiting... =/
    Forget world peace. Visualize using your turn signal.