Kick backs - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Kick backs

Re: Kick backs

Quote Originally Posted by [evo] View Post
    Theres no need for kickbacks when an insurance company can take a week to send an adjuster - theres an easy $1000-$1500 just in storage....
    A week's storage for $1000-$1500 is ridiculous, I fail to see why the rates can't be legislated in like in other industries.
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

Quote Originally Posted by mat2312 View Post
    A week's storage for $1000-$1500 is ridiculous, I fail to see why the rates can't be legislated in like in other industries.
    +100000

How cant they seriously have legislation where a private company profits from its enforcement and not have legislation to control the rates? Its, MIND BLASTING!
    NOMFuP, Not My ****ing Problem. - Malcom Tucker

Why? Because the legislation that is supposed to do exactly that is currently held up in committee. Wonder why?
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Resurrection

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Why? Because the legislation that is supposed to do exactly that is currently held up in committee. Wonder why?
    That's why I asked about it earlier. I thought is was strange that it was introduced last June and now nothing happening. Maybe the Politicians are getting the kick back, in political donations.

Quote Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
    That's why I asked about it earlier. I thought is was strange that it was introduced last June and now nothing happening. Maybe the Politicians are getting the kick back, in political donations.
    That this legislation is stalled is something that I've thought of raising with the media, since the OPP Commissioner is so proud of how many thousands of people he's contributed to the fleecing of.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Resurrection

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    That this legislation is stalled is something that I've thought of raising with the media, since the OPP Commissioner is so proud of how many thousands of people he's contributed to the fleecing of.
    That's exactly what I was thinking, why not one seems to want to take up that cause. I know the penalty of 172 is wrong, but the tow rip off should also be on the agenda.

To anyone who knows politics more than I, how can a bill be held in committee for months/year but 172 and other BS can be pushed through like a nutty turd.
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

To anyone who knows politics more than I, how can a bill be held in committee for months/year but 172 and other BS can be pushed through like a nutty turd.
    "Priorities"

Resurrection

It all depends on the impact of the Bill. 172 gets more media attention so it gets top priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Metastable View Post
    Grimmy - need some clarification.

You go ahead and pay the 1 night tow/storage to get the amounts, right?.... you just don't pay the OPP tow/storage. You take the OPP one to small claims and get your car back that way. So you have to wait until you can go and pick your car up, get the bill, then go to small claims, then go back to get your car? Or... can you get a bill before you go to pick up your car and take it to small claims in the meantime?
    The Opp calls the towing company to pick up your car/bike.

The towing company see's OPP on the call, and thinks "*****, I can make a bunch of extra money" and charges what is typically an "OPP Rate". They charge hundreds to hookup your vehicle, and huge KM's rates to tow it to their impound, and then charge the same "OPP rate" for storage. In the end its in the thousand and up range.

A normal tow hookup is around $40-70 depending on the company. KM's are $2.25-3.00 a km. Storage is around $25 -$45 a day again, depending on location and company.

These OPP rates are $350+ for hookup, and some are $4 and $5 per km. OPP rate storage at $50+ a day.

Outragous.

So, you end up a week later going to the towing company to get your car back once released from the OPP (in writing, not physically). Huge tow bill. Get a written invoice from them, and that same day, take all the money needed to the court house, and go to the Small Claims Court Clerk, and explain that you wish to contest the tow charges are they are excessive. They will take the money into court, with a a small fee of course of around $50 or so. They will in turn give you a Certificate. This is the court action initiation.

Take said Certificate, photocopy for your records, and give it to the tow company the same day. They MUST give you back your property within a reasonable period of time.

Now, the towing company must SUE YOU (file a Claim and Serve it on you) in 30 days from the day of you giving them the Certificate (you have to file an Affidavit of Service of the Certificate with the courts to mark the date in their calendar) and if they fail to file a claim within those 30 days, the court gets you your money back.

If the towing company is on their ball, and thinks they can get away with the charges, they can sue you. Now the owness is on THEM to prove their rates are reasonable and fair, and not excessive.

However, two can play this game.

For your defense, you are going to use the same towing company to screw themselves over.

Get another vehicle, and take it approximately the same distance from their impound yard, put it on a nice side street (not a major through fare or blocking traffic) where there is easy access to the front and rear. Call and get a tow, claiming the car had an unknown issue, and have them tow it to their yard for the night. You can pick it up the next day, and get it to the Canadian Tire down the street.

the next day, go to the yard, pay your bill (or your friend can do this as well) and retain the copy. I can almost Guarantee that the bill where YOU called will be FAR less then the "OPP rate" bill. Use this lesser tow bill as evidence in court for your defense, it will flatten the plaintiff's claim.