What type of bike are you currently riding? - Page 2

View Poll Results: Which category does your bike fall into?

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • Below 550cc's

25 16.34%
  • Sport bike 599cc's-1100cc's

86 56.21%
  • Naked Sport bike 599cc's-1100cc's

17 11.11%
  • Touring/Cruiser

29 18.95%
  • Moped/Scooter

2 1.31%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What type of bike are you currently riding?

Re: What type of bike are you currently riding?

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    Categories are not clearly defined. Where would a Bandit 1200 (Suzuki GSF1200S) fit, for example? I think you should not mix displacement with appearance/style.

That is one of the problems with insurance in this country - the insurance company's pencil-pushers (not saying you are one and appreciate your effort) have no idea how to categorize motorcycles. Almost everywhere else in the civilized world it's done by horsepower (better) or displacement (worse, but still much better than our system). We are going to have a flawed insurance categorization system as long as it's based on parameters that cannot be measured ("sport"?, "naked"?, how about a "don't insult my intelligence" or "give me a break" category?) and that are determined by people that don't have a clue how to gauge risk and are just looking for an easy way to surcharge as many riders as possible.
    I agree with you Vlad, but I've got to use their categories first and then see what we can do to try and get them to change. With the economy being the way that it is, I think this is a good time to get some of these folks to start thinking outside of the proverbial box, in order to find other ways to drive profits.

Quote Originally Posted by Avi Singh View Post
    I agree with you Vlad, but I've got to use their categories first and then see what we can do to try and get them to change. With the economy being the way that it is, I think this is a good time to get some of these folks to start thinking outside of the proverbial box, in order to find other ways to drive profits.
    It's a worthy task you took on yourself Avi. I appreciate your effort and hope it results in better rates for all of us.
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

I am wondering about my Ninja 650R,its not an SS bike but maybe in this poll it should be classed as a sport bike.

sv1000s.... not a touring, but not an SS either...

1352cc sportbike

Greg

Milton Ontario

2012 ZX14R
    2007 Kawasaki ZX-14

Quote Originally Posted by Skurj View Post
    sv1000s.... not a touring, but not an SS either...
    Put it into Naked Sport.

Quote Originally Posted by greg88 View Post
    1352cc sportbike
    Put it into the sportbike category.

Quote Originally Posted by nebulabob View Post
    I am wondering about my Ninja 650R,its not an SS bike but maybe in this poll it should be classed as a sport bike.
    IF it's the EX650 then it's a naked sport. This is part of what I'm trying to get changed. I've seen some company's class CBR125's, SV650's, ZZR250's and EX650's as sports. I doubt I'll ever get them to view ss's any differently, but certainly some of the borderline ones as listed above should be viewed as standard bikes.

I would not count on that!

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    For lower SS surcharges?

Quote Originally Posted by GP_RZ View Post
    I would not count on that!
    I would totally be game for proposing a decreased Sport Bike surcharge with my company, but the problem is simply inadequate data. We blacklist most Sport Bikes so we have no claims experience to even analyze. My guess is that the Sport surcharges are too severe, but I have no way of proving this unless State Farm would let me borrow their plentiful Sport Bike data. I doubt they are going to do that any time soon
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    I would totally be game for proposing a decreased Sport Bike surcharge with my company, but the problem is simply inadequate data. We blacklist most Sport Bikes so we have no claims experience to even analyze. My guess is that the Sport surcharges are too severe, but I have no way of proving this unless State Farm would let me borrow their plentiful Sport Bike data. I doubt they are going to do that any time soon
    What we also need is a change in attitude. Is it the bike we're afraid of? Or is it the rider?

as

Quote Originally Posted by Avi Singh View Post
    What we also need is a change in attitude. Is it the bike we're afraid of? Or is it the rider?

as
    It's all about inadequate data.

In my experience, companies that do not specialize in motorcycles only offer the product so that they don't lose customers who already have a car and/or home with them.

If I had adequate data to do a statistically credible analysis that indicates cheaper rates for Sport riders, then by all means I would implement them and try to take business from other companies.

State Farm offers cheap rates to Sport riders, but Jevco (a Canadian insurance company specializing in motorcycles) surcharges them 325%. I would have more faith in Jevco's data than State Farm, because the Actuarial analyses for State Farm is done in the USA. "Canada" to State Farm actuaries would be even less significant than "Yukon Territory" to us Canadian actuaries. California alone has as many people as the entire population of Canada. I look at Yukon data once every five years if I am lucky (as opposed to every 6 months for Ontario).

I really wish I had the data . . . it would be very interesting, but at the moment, State Farm has it all.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sportbiker_kev View Post
    Naked sport bike, I would say.
    I'm a little confused on this, how exactly is the term "naked" being defined here?

State Farm offers cheap rates to Sport riders, but Jevco (a Canadian insurance company specializing in motorcycles) surcharges them 325%.
    I pay $700 with Jevco while SF won't even insure me. Sorry, but the above sentence is misleading at best. The only thing we can say for sure is that there is no rhyme or reason in what insurance companies charge here.
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    I pay $700 with Jevco while SF won't even insure me. Sorry, but the above sentence is misleading at best. The only thing we can say for sure is that there is no rhyme or reason in what insurance companies charge here.
    Simply put, I think State Farm's motorcycle rating is just totally screwed up (much to the benefit of the Sport riders); however, I can't say this for certain unless I had a look at their data, but I don't think they're the data-sharing type

Simply put, I think State Farm's motorcycle rating is just totally screwed up (much to the benefit of the Sport riders); however, I can't say this for certain unless I had a look at their data, but I don't think they're the data-sharing type
    Has a request for data actually been made?

I mean there is probably ways for that data to be aquired, but it would e useless as it needs to be legally obtained. LOL. Otherwise I would try my best to help you out man.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Sport touring, Adventure touring and a cruiser - I can't vote more than once?!

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle72 View Post
    Has a request for data actually been made?

I mean there is probably ways for that data to be aquired, but it would e useless as it needs to be legally obtained. LOL. Otherwise I would try my best to help you out man.
    A request for data would be laughable. That would be liking asking KFC for their 11 secret herbs and spices; it's just not something insurance companies share. Data is our most valuable asset.

If anyone can convince State Farm to send me their Motorcycle claims and premium data by Accident Year, I would be more than happy to look at it If their Sport Bike claims experience is a favourable as their premiums suggest, then I would be more than happy to offer similar rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    Sport touring, Adventure touring and a cruiser - I can't vote more than once?!
    Actually you can. Those are check boxes not a single option. I voted both -599 and sport bike.
    Wow, I didn't know we'd become such good friends, because if we had, you'd know that I give **** before I give favors and I don't even give my best friends **** so your chances of getting a favor are pretty ******* slim. - Go

Quite honestly; the companies other than State Farm really don't need the business or should i say headache. Motorcycling in Ontario is a tiny piece of business for ins. companies but comes with big payouts (accident benefits or death benefits). That's the way they look at it in my opinion!! I have no idea how they come up with there rates. I'm 36 licenced for almost 20 years. I pay as much as someone 25 who has his for a couple of years!! A joke!! Then you have guys riding 1200's and because Jevco categorizes there own way; they pay half of what i pay for my ss 600. So; options. There are none. Weigh your options and ask if 1250 a year is really worth it!! I think i already have arrived at that cross road and am weighing my options now!! I won't buy a bike because ins. companies like them but because i like it. I think we are paying for it!!! But in fairness to these ins. companies. You have guys posting up rides for "ramp riding". So let's see here; ramp riding in the city highways!!! You really think they're cruising the ramps at the posted speed limits?? The stat you are looking for is the fact there are way more immature

riders riding sport bikes than riding cruisers or sport touring bikes!!!