636 runnin hot!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 636 runnin hot!

636 runnin hot!

Ok so I have mentioned before that i thought my 05 636 runs hotter then normal and i think yesterday may have proven that.
    yesterday was the hottest day I have ridden in since I have owned the bike, and it I think theres something wrong and its not cooling properly. Heres what happenned....

So I left work at 4pm, got some gas and then hopped on the 401 east at carlingview. Traffic was basically stand still, so im movin along at turtles pace, and at about 10 mins in i see my gauge going up to about 105, then a couple mins more its 110, then within ten mins im up to 117,118,119 then it flashes just HI! Im like oh crap!!!
    I pull over and let it cool down, so i dont blow the engine, i check my resoirvoir where the coolant overflow runs into and its normally low, but it was full to the brim and could feel it like boiling inside.
    So I started it up the temp was a lil cooler but still about 110 and i got off at allen and picked up speed and it cooled down.

The fans kicked in but i mean i didnt wanna risk running it that hot. The question I have is should it get that hot that fast? It was about 30 at the point outside, but i remember my r1 last year never got that hot. The bike has only like 4000km( if that means anything) so im just wondering, is there anything i can check for or is this normal?
    I can imagine summer it will heat up in 2 secs.

Any help appreciated guys!

Re: 636 runnin hot!

That doesn't sound good, I'd be concerned too. At least you know that your rad fan is working. Personally, I would flush the system and replenish with fresh coolant, making sure that the coolant pump is also working. I'm not sure what type of coolant you're running, but it is possible that you have air trapped in the system or some type of blockage/obstruction.

Sounds normal to me, but it depends on the situation...If you were ripping it and came to a complete stop in 30+, its going to get hot fast...FYI turning your bike off when its about to over heat is the worst thing you can do, without coolant flow it will just overheat faster....

You might want to consider a cooling system flush thou, and you can always add water wetter or try coolants like engine ice....Not gonna make a huge difference but every little bit helps for those 30+ days....

Quote Originally Posted by Teal View Post
    That doesn't sound good, I'd be concerned too. At least you know that your rad fan is working. Personally, I would flush the system and replenish with fresh coolant, making sure that the coolant pump is also working. I'm not sure what type of coolant you're running, but it is possible that you have air trapped in the system or some type of blockage/obstruction.
    Thats what i thought originally, i was gonna doa visual check and see how the pressure on the hoses are and what not, and maybe try the flush and see if some fresh coolant would help. I have the same coolant in that the guy i bought it off had in, so im not sure.

I doubt it's the coolant itself, but air trapped in the system will render the pump useless (also very bad for the pump) and the temps will increase very quickly. You may want to try simply "burping" the system.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7369_burp-cars-cooling.html

I've only had one of my bikes ever get into the temperature danger zone, right after an improper coolant flush (air trapped in system).

I doubt it's the coolant itself, but air trapped in the system will render the pump useless (also very bad for the pump) and the temps will increase very quickly. You may want to try simply "burping" the system.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7369_burp-cars-cooling.html

I've only had one of my bikes ever get into the temperature danger zone, right after an improper coolant flush (air trapped in system).
    Its actually not a bad idea, i mean it cant do any thing bad for it, so i will give it a burp when i get home.

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxguy View Post
    Its actually not a bad idea, i mean it cant do any thing bad for it, so i will give it a burp when i get home.
    Just be sure that the engine and coolant are cold when attempting this. Never open the rad system when hot.

Ok so I have mentioned before that i thought my 05 636 runs hotter then normal and i think yesterday may have proven that.
    yesterday was the hottest day I have ridden in since I have owned the bike, and it I think theres something wrong and its not cooling properly. Heres what happenned....

Any help appreciated guys!
    Well from what I just read, u did not have this bike long, so u would not know how hot it gets in this kind of weather we experienced yesterday.

To tell u the truth, I experienced the same thing yesterday on the 401, I do the same trip as u too. I hit 120. I smell burning plastic, I hope that was my engine gasket sealant that I put there. Pulled up on the shoulders. There were like 8 cars I passed previously that were on the shoulders, so it was putting quite a toll on the other vehicles on the 401.

Here is a few things I discovered about my bike, it might not apply to urs since they are different:

-If u are burning lean, the bike will run hotter. Gasoline entering the engine has a cooling effect when it evaporates.

-Shut off unnecessary electricals, I tend to pull one of my headlights out to give my fan the extra energy, it seems to work. I dont know if ur bike revvs higher when the fan comes on. If it does, I suppose it is trying to turn the stator faster to meet w/ the demands of the fan.

Oh yeh, I saw another SV 650 who pulled up on the shoulders too. So I would say its not unusual yesterday. I want to double check my thermostat to make sure tho. I have the feeling my thermostat might be stuck at partially closed.

cheers
    Resident Loudmouth

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    Well from what I just read, u did not have this bike long, so u would not know how hot it gets in this kind of weather we experienced yesterday.

To tell u the truth, I experienced the same thing yesterday on the 401, I do the same trip as u too. I hit 120. I smell burning plastic, I hope that was my engine gasket sealant that I put there. Pulled up on the shoulders. There were like 8 cars I passed previously that were on the shoulders, so it was putting quite a toll on the other vehicles on the 401.

Here is a few things I discovered about my bike, it might not apply to urs since they are different:

-If u are burning lean, the bike will run hotter. Gasoline entering the engine has a cooling effect when it evaporates.

-Shut off unnecessary electricals, I tend to pull one of my headlights out to give my fan the extra energy, it seems to work. I dont know if ur bike revvs higher when the fan comes on. If it does, I suppose it is trying to turn the stator faster to meet w/ the demands of the fan.

Oh yeh, I saw another SV 650 who pulled up on the shoulders too. So I would say its not unusual yesterday. I want to double check my thermostat to make sure tho. I have the feeling my thermostat might be stuck at partially closed.

cheers
    Ya ur right i havent had it long but still, it was hot yesterday but not extreme and it got hot real fast, i know there are alot of variables but i know in general its runs hot. I will burp it tonight and see what happens, if nothing then imma pull out the thermostat and do a boil test to see if its operating properly.
    I dont mind wrenchin for a bit anyways and see whast going on and maybe do a flush.

Ya ur right i havent had it long but still, it was hot yesterday but not extreme and it got hot real fast, i know there are alot of variables but i know in general its runs hot. I will burp it tonight and see what happens, if nothing then imma pull out the thermostat and do a boil test to see if its operating properly.
    I dont mind wrenchin for a bit anyways and see whast going on and maybe do a flush.
    Let us know if you find any magic secrets to making Kawis run colder....Mine all run hot hot hot....Even my 09 was running hot yesterday, not overheating hot, but hot enough...

My 01 ZX6R was up to 110 yesterday in traffic even with the fan kicking in at 99-103.

Isn't there a simple way to wire the fan to a switch? Would turning the fan on at say 90 prevent it from going up much higher?
    *~Maggie~*

Quote Originally Posted by Yamaha_Gurl View Post
    Isn't there a simple way to wire the fan to a switch? Would turning the fan on at say 90 prevent it from going up much higher?
    I have my fan wired to a manual switch, it helps keep the temp down but wont stop it from rising above 104 where the fan would come on automatically anyways....And the fan does not cool nearly as well as air flow through the rad does....

The guy who had the bike before me wired the fan to be always on with the ignition, but that did a number on the battery. I assumed he did that because the thermostatic fan switch was not working properly, but when it was tested it still opened and closed when appropriate. I was prepared to wire in a manual rocker switch since most of these are just ground potential switch but since the fan switch worked I thought I'd just let it do its job.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    Let us know if you find any magic secrets to making Kawis run colder....Mine all run hot hot hot....Even my 09 was running hot yesterday, not overheating hot, but hot enough...
    funny you say that. My bike runs cold as ****. I am lucky if its even near the quarter way warm mark. It pisses me off.

Hahaha i dont think i will come up with any magic Johnny! I hear what ur saying and you know waaaay more then me for sure, i just cant see it gettin hot soo fast like its some air cooled engine.
    I wont stress too much, but i will due some due dilligence and just check it out for peace of mind.
    Thermostat is a common problem and wouldnt be unheard of.

Hahaha i dont think i will come up with any magic Johnny! I hear what ur saying and you know waaaay more then me for sure, i just cant see it gettin hot soo fast like its some air cooled engine.
    I wont stress too much, but i will due some due dilligence and just check it out for peace of mind.
    Thermostat is a common problem and wouldnt be unheard of.
    Ive tired it all from fancy coolants, to swapping out thermostats etc....They still run hot, even after I swap out a blown motor for a low KM one...Expecting lower temps LOL not so much same or hotter...LOL

Although a coolant flush helps slightly sometimes, and if there is air pockets a good burping

Ive tired it all from fancy coolants, to swapping out thermostats etc....They still run hot, even after I swap out a blown motor for a low KM one...Expecting lower temps LOL not so much same or hotter...LOL

Although a coolant flush helps slightly sometimes, and if there is air pockets a good burping
    I had no idea they are expected to run hot ... I was going to ask but I make fun of Kawi's enough.

I had no idea they are expected to run hot ... I was going to ask but I make fun of Kawi's enough.
    Yeah they do tend to run a little hot, compared to other bikes...As long as your not boiling over its not a problem.....On a cold day it wont reach 100, but on hot days a steady 100-116 at idle or in traffic is not uncommon....The main thing is to keep moving as much as possible and not turn the bike off, if my bike reads 108 and I turn it off it instantly jumps to 118....And when I start it again it will drop below 110 instantly again...That just goes to show how much coolant flow affects the temp, you have to keep it moving and get as much air flow through the rad as possible or it can overheat really fast...

When you do dyno runs, you always count the middle run (hot run)....Cause when the bike is cold or too hot it makes less power.....Running Hot is good, but too hot is bad...

Yeah they do tend to run a little hot, compared to other bikes...As long as your not boiling over its not a problem.....On a cold day it wont reach 100, but on hot days a steady 100-116 at idle or in traffic is not uncommon....The main thing is to keep moving as much as possible and not turn the bike off, if my bike reads 108 and I turn it off it instantly jumps to 118....And when I start it again it will drop below 110 instantly again...That just goes to show how much coolant flow affects the temp, you have to keep it moving and get as much air flow through the rad as possible or it can overheat really fast...

When you do dyno runs, you always count the middle run (hot run)....Cause when the bike is cold or too hot it makes less power.....Running Hot is good, but too hot is bad...
    See johnny even when its cold out my temp can easily be mid 90's so thats why i think it may be something else. I will keep ya posted cuz im goin to burp it now!