Amazing scratch removal product!

Thread: Amazing scratch removal product!

Amazing scratch removal product!

I just scratched the hell out of my windshield yesterday trying to remove some stickers. They were stuck on pretty good and I thought my fingernails would be soft enough not to leave a mark. Nope. After GooGone removed most of the sticker residue, I recoiled in horror at how much damage I had done. Even in low light, I could see all the tiny scratch marks my fingernails had left on the soft plastic. Enough to make me consider buying a new windshield.

So last night I did some research and found a product called Novus Plastic Scratch Remover. It actually comes in three flavours: #1 is a polish, which cleans plastic without scratching it. #2 is for fine scratch removal and is a fine abrasive, and #3 is for heavy scratches, a bit of a stronger abrasive.

I bought all three just in case, and I went to work on the scratches with the #2 Fine Scratch Remover. I had read you needed a lot of elbow grease and I had to keep reapplying the liquid to the cloth as I kept rubbing the compound into the scratches. After a little bit, I considered breaking out the #3 bottle of Heavy Scratch Removal, but persisted a bit longer. As I stared at the windshield from all angles in the bright sunlight, I noticed the scratches had started to fade!

After about 20 minutes of heavy rubbing and buffing, the scratches slowly disappeared. In fact, the scratch remover worked so well that a lot of the spider-web-like scratches that you see in bright sunlight were actually buffed out. The windshield looked better than new.

Sorry for the length of this review, but I am thoroughly impressed with this product. I didn't think anything could fix the windshield, and this product came through. I don't normally post product reviews, but I thought I'd pass this along to anyone who wanted to fix up their clear plastics. Novus says it works on visors as well, although I'm sure they didn't mean tinted/coated visors or plastics.

Re: Amazing scratch removal product!

Where did you find these, and approximately how much?

My windshield is a mess from living under covers!
    o~`o
    VSRI #1930
    The most common problem with motorcycles is the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

$8 for an 8oz bottle here. Address at the bottom of the screen.

You'll probably only need the #2 bottle. My scratches were pretty bad IMO and the #2 was good enough. I maybe used half an oz for my whole windshield. I think the #3 bottle would be for road rash or something similar.

Ahhh merci Mr Geneious!
    Been looking for a decent product for windscreen.
    Dem man nah realize de way I do de technology way don't I identify dey oola dem idiot sound bwoy already ya nah rude bwoy

Maybe you shouldn't use your claws to remove stickers anymore.

The easiest place I know is your local HD dealership, I have been using this stuff for years.
    I get mine from Jacox HD.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightcycle View Post
    I just scratched the hell out of my windshield yesterday trying to remove some stickers. They were stuck on pretty good and I thought my fingernails would be soft enough not to leave a mark. Nope. After GooGone removed most of the sticker residue, I recoiled in horror at how much damage I had done. Even in low light, I could see all the tiny scratch marks my fingernails had left on the soft plastic. Enough to make me consider buying a new windshield.

So last night I did some research and found a product called Novus Plastic Scratch Remover. It actually comes in three flavours: #1 is a polish, which cleans plastic without scratching it. #2 is for fine scratch removal and is a fine abrasive, and #3 is for heavy scratches, a bit of a stronger abrasive.

I bought all three just in case, and I went to work on the scratches with the #2 Fine Scratch Remover. I had read you needed a lot of elbow grease and I had to keep reapplying the liquid to the cloth as I kept rubbing the compound into the scratches. After a little bit, I considered breaking out the #3 bottle of Heavy Scratch Removal, but persisted a bit longer. As I stared at the windshield from all angles in the bright sunlight, I noticed the scratches had started to fade!

After about 20 minutes of heavy rubbing and buffing, the scratches slowly disappeared. In fact, the scratch remover worked so well that a lot of the spider-web-like scratches that you see in bright sunlight were actually buffed out. The windshield looked better than new.

Sorry for the length of this review, but I am thoroughly impressed with this product. I didn't think anything could fix the windshield, and this product came through. I don't normally post product reviews, but I thought I'd pass this along to anyone who wanted to fix up their clear plastics. Novus says it works on visors as well, although I'm sure they didn't mean tinted/coated visors or plastics.

That's just the ticket mate I will pick up some as i have the same issue on my 998 screen.

viru87

Hey thanks a lot for sharing this... I have been looking for such product... Its gonna be very useful...

Thank you very much i have some scratches on my lower fairing im goin to try it out,i think is the botle #3 right?

Quote Originally Posted by DOOM&GLOOM View Post
    The easiest place I know is your local HD dealership, I have been using this stuff for years.
    I get mine from Jacox HD.
    What is it you're getting at the Harley dealer?

Quote Originally Posted by AL suarez View Post
    Thank you very much i have some scratches on my lower fairing im goin to try it out,i think is the botle #3 right?
    I don't think this is for painted plastics like fairings. It's for clear plastics like windshields or visors. This stuff will probably take a layer off your clearcoat if you use it. I wouldn't advise it.

If you are using it for clear plastics, use #3 for heavy scratches, #2 for light or fine scratches.
    Last edited by Lightcycle; 05-01-2009 at 04:18 PM.

This might be a stupid question, but did you take your screen off or do you think this could be done for light scratches with the screen still on?
    Janice

Quote Originally Posted by 13lotusflowers View Post
    did you take your screen off or do you think this could be done for light scratches with the screen still on?
    I kept the screen on. Shook the whole bike on its suspension while I was rubbing that stuff into the scratches! It took forever, but the results were worth it.

Thanks for the information. Any thoughts on where else I could buy this product other than the mentioned place? Any chain store?
    Last edited by Hawk; 05-02-2009 at 10:37 AM.
    The motorcycle must surely be the devils handy work, cuss its way tooooo much fun