Cutting Akrapovic Exhaust

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Akrapovic Exhaust

Cutting Akrapovic Exhaust

Hey guys, I was thinking of cutting about 4-5 inches of my exhaust, like to point where the logo is right after the passenger pegs. Im just wondering if its even possible to cut this pipe...
    I took it off and it looks like its continuous right to the pipe attachment, it seems like the "bracing" around the bottom is only a strip for I geuss cosemetics.
    Any help or advice would be great, thanks in advance!

The picture attached is not the exact same exhaust, but similar.. i cant find a picture file that is small enough to post...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails akrapovicson.jpg  

Re: Cutting Akrapovic Exhaust

Please don't cut that beautiful piece of titanium art.

Here is what 16" looks like after its cut down on the titanium.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2859 (Small).JPG  
    Cobourg, ON CANADA (1hr East of T.O.)
    2005 Gsxr 1000 Limited Edit (All Black) 6,200km
    Full Akra exhaust with Motty Afr Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    Please don't cut that beautiful piece of titanium art.
    Like taking a Sharpie to a Picasso...sigh..
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

Its possible

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    Its possible
    I have the one the right... and so by the looks of it, when you cut down the one on the left, you just didnt put the strip back on the bottom. I would imagine it would get all bent up when taking it apart.
    And did you just use some adhesive to reassemble?
    Any difference in sound quality?

cutting a Akra!?
    Blasphemy!
    you should of bought a muzzy or m4!

Why do people shorten these? Is it a stunt thing? Or is this equvalent to a big wing on the back of a Japanese sports car? I just don't get it.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Quote Originally Posted by patronftw View Post
    cutting a Akra!?
    Blasphemy!
    you should of bought a muzzy or m4!
    I agree. The more akra the better! I wish my bike had twins...

Quote Originally Posted by ALLDAY View Post
    I have the one the right... and so by the looks of it, when you cut down the one on the left, you just didnt put the strip back on the bottom. I would imagine it would get all bent up when taking it apart.
    And did you just use some adhesive to reassemble?
    Any difference in sound quality?
    The carbon one on the left isnt finished in the pic, I added the band and rivits after...Both of those have been shortened, but the Ti one on the right is the finished product....

You dont use any adhesive just rivits to hold it together....

And about "getting all bent up" Akrapovic cans are one of the easiest cans to shorten because the parts fit so well..Unlike other brands like Hindle that are very very tight and very hard to take apart....

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    Why do people shorten these? Is it a stunt thing? Or is this equvalent to a big wing on the back of a Japanese sports car? I just don't get it.
    Personally I think standard Akrapovic cans look too long, Ive gotten some full systems with short cans but the standard slipon and full system can lenght is too long for my likes...

And also Im trying to prevent draging the end caps....Or repairing a bent, or dinged can that would otherwise be garbage...I bought one off Ebay once for $40, that had a crack in the carbon sleeve, shortened it a little and my friend had a brand new bolt on for $40...

Last edited by JohnnyP636; 04-23-2009 at 08:40 AM.

TEAL did a good job on his can ... maybe he'd be interested to do it, who knows

just tell him you're thinking of going to teh track, he has a soft spot for getting people out there lol

Hey guys, I was thinking of cutting about 4-5 inches of my exhaust, like to point where the logo is right after the passenger pegs. Im just wondering if its even possible to cut this pipe...
    I took it off and it looks like its continuous right to the pipe attachment, it seems like the "bracing" around the bottom is only a strip for I geuss cosemetics.
    Any help or advice would be great, thanks in advance!

The picture attached is not the exact same exhaust, but similar.. i cant find a picture file that is small enough to post...

Personally I think standard Akrapovic cans look too long, Ive gotten some full systems with short cans but the standard slipon and full system can lenght is too long for my likes...

And also Im trying to prevent draging the end caps....Or repairing a bent, or dinged can that would otherwise be garbage...I bought one off Ebay once for $40, that had a crack in the carbon sleeve, shortened it a little and my friend had a brand new bolt on for $40...

i totally understand if you stunt hard yea you have to cut your cans so you dont drag the tip, but whats the advantage of doing it if your just a regular rider? Is it just a vanity poser thing? Is there any performance advantages?

.... I asked for advice on how to cut it, and i got it (johnnyP- thanks) As for all the people that dont like the idea of cutting a pipe, which i didnt ask for, thats your own deal... but the pipe is awfully long for my likes

I just didn't understand why someone would do this. I see from Johnny's pics that a regular length one might scrape on the ground in a 12 o'clock weelie though. I suspected this was the case and that's why I asked if it was a stunt thing.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

.... I asked for advice on how to cut it, and i got it (johnnyP- thanks) As for all the people that dont like the idea of cutting a pipe, which i didnt ask for, thats your own deal... but the pipe is awfully long for my likes
    lol. I never have the balls to say that in any of my threads, props. I'm getting use to all the flaming now, I just sit back and watch and hopefully some useful information will come along

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

Personally I think standard Akrapovic cans look too long
    Hey Johnny if you have an akraovic cans lying around that look like this I would be interested in it. My exhaust sounds terrible.

took me 30 minutes on friday night :

This thread is worthless without an audio clip. As soon as I get my midpipe welded to fix the leak, I'll post one

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

dooo it Dan, do it!! let the haters hate, its ur bike do what u like to it. i am down to take care of it asap-next day I'm off. Greg's signal's tomorrow then pool work haha.

on the exhaust note here guys i am looking to have a custom mid made at some point(no rush i have 2 already) any suggestions?? i am going for a certain look GP.... for my GP looking canister... i would rather have it done over time maybe someone looking for a project. i can get the material if necessary... save some costs, like i said i already have 2 now.

sorry for thread jacking dan.(lets do ur exhaust)
    "Ride it like ya robbed it"
    "You can out run a cop, but you will never out run the radio call"