No more talking on cellphone while driving - Page 7

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: No more talking on cellphone while driving

Re: No more talking on cellphone while driving

Quote Originally Posted by ddusseld View Post
    I've yet to see a driver capable of using a cell phone while driving.

I also think that almost all drivers think that they are the "special" ones who can drive safely while using a cell phone.
    Anytime you want to ride with me you are more than welcome. I do this every day, 5 to 6 days a week as an integral part of my job.

As well, I'm also in flight training. As a pilot, you are constantly talking on the headset, monitoring your instruments, making adjustments, fiddling with your map AND flying the plane. I know it's not quite the same as driving but some people are quite capable of multitasking, it's just that there are some morons out there who can't switch on a radio without swerving.

We have existing laws in place for these dangerous drivers, why don't we enforce them?
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

I'll gladly ride with you.

I'll pass on the drive with you using a cell phone. For all I know you are that rare person who can use a cell phone and still drive. But I don't know that. I do know that just because you do it a lot does not make you a safe cell phone using driver..

Quick question about piloting. How many radio conversations do you have discussing
    business or money or any other situation that is not about piloting the plane? How many of these multi tasks that you do while piloting have nothing to do with flying the plane?
    Btw, are there any restrictions on using a cell phone while piloting a plane?

Quote Originally Posted by mat2312 View Post
    Anytime you want to ride with me you are more than welcome. I do this every day, 5 to 6 days a week as an integral part of my job.

As well, I'm also in flight training. As a pilot, you are constantly talking on the headset, monitoring your instruments, making adjustments, fiddling with your map AND flying the plane. I know it's not quite the same as driving but some people are quite capable of multitasking, it's just that there are some morons out there who can't switch on a radio without swerving.

We have existing laws in place for these dangerous drivers, why don't we enforce them?
    Thomas Jefferson said "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty".

Quote Originally Posted by ddusseld View Post

Quick question about piloting. How many radio conversations do you have discussing
    business or money or any other situation that is not about piloting the plane? How many of these multi tasks that you do while piloting have nothing to do with flying the plane?
    Btw, are there any restrictions on using a cell phone while piloting a plane?
    Non-aviation related communication isn't allowed under regulations. It does occur but very infrequently. There's a broad spectrum of things we communicate, one communication may be about the weather whereas the next one might be about runway conditions etc and these communications would be just as distractive as a communication on a cell phone (they're both VHF/UHF communications anyway). I understand that this is strictly aviation related but regardless it is still a distraction. I fail to see how a pilot on the VHF or a trucker on his CB is any different than me talking on my phone while driving the truck.

On a side note, with some of the larger planes it's entirely possible to have multiple people talking to you on the intercom at once, plus monitoring the radio for communications. It can be a headache but pilots have been doing it for decades!

You can use your cell phone while operating a plane, infact you can buy attachments that route your cell phone through your intercom. A cell phone can be a great backup in case of comm failure or to open/close flight plans etc.
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

I'd like to see the wording in this new law and what new rights the cops are going to get. The only way I see them having the ability to enforce this is if they can now confiscate your phone for an HTA offence. I can see it happening if they can already impound your vehicle but I wonder if it's going to involve a court order. I'd think they would certainly need one to get your phone records. What if the phones not in your name ie family plan... What if you peel off the MIN or remove your chip...how are they going to prove you were using the phone. Are you now legally obligated to give the cops your phone number? Your security code for your phone? If you can't provide them with that information do they have the equipment and resources to go about retreiving it themselves? Seems like alot of work for a five hundred dollar ticket. Or is this new law going to be like an illegal tint, if a cop says so it must be....

Banned

Hey all you simpering HTA offending rebels.

You might have noticed a "rider awareness" ride that is being organized. I didn't see any of the armchair whiners jumping into the breech to get their particular "view" out in front of the cameras!!!???

Whats the deal? blown your wad on every thread where you feel you can jack your way into a diatribe about how smart yo are...and how stupid the sheep are?

So go talk to the sheep.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...t=85661&page=2

well, personally, I dont think it will do much good.

In my eyes, the problem isnt people looking out for bikes. Its people that do not have the confidence , ability, nor knowledge of the rules that are allowed on the road. No amount of shouting "look at us' will fix that

Quote Originally Posted by mat2312 View Post
    Non-aviation related communication isn't allowed under regulations. It does occur but very infrequently. There's a broad spectrum of things we communicate, one communication may be about the weather whereas the next one might be about runway conditions etc and these communications would be just as distractive as a communication on a cell phone (they're both VHF/UHF communications anyway). I understand that this is strictly aviation related but regardless it is still a distraction. I fail to see how a pilot on the VHF or a trucker on his CB is any different than me talking on my phone while driving the truck.

On a side note, with some of the larger planes it's entirely possible to have multiple people talking to you on the intercom at once, plus monitoring the radio for communications. It can be a headache but pilots have been doing it for decades!

You can use your cell phone while operating a plane, infact you can buy attachments that route your cell phone through your intercom. A cell phone can be a great backup in case of comm failure or to open/close flight plans etc.
    I have some aviation experience, but i'm not licenced as a pilot. I have filled the role of 'co-pilot', handling some communications for the pilot as he handles the plane.

A couple of points you fail to recognize - in general and commercial aviation, aircraft aren't generally flying in formations with 6 foot clearance - but thousands, and tens of thousands of feet of clearance even in busy air traffic control zones. a split seconds lack of attention in the cockpit isn't going to result in the aircraft side-swiping into the aircraft beside it, or lane changing into an overtaking aircraft because the pilot failed to shoulder check.

Aviation headsets are pretty intuitive - they also fill the role of noise dampners, in addition to communication. PTT buttons are generally on the control yoke, so no fumbling about looking for a cell-phone when it rings, or looking to turn off the radio to initiate a cell-phone call when eyes should be in the air, scanning.

Pilots are trained in the art of communications. They take courses in ground school and practice under the eye of an instructor to be sure that they can manage all the tasks of operating an aircraft, before they are granted their solo. If they can't manage multi-tasking, including communications in addition to flying the aircraft - they don't get licenced, period. As you say yourself, non-aviation related communications isn't supposed to go on, so if you are doing it, you are in contravention of MOT guidelines for pilot behavioral standards while operating the aircraft, and could theoretically have your licence yanked on the spot for review, by an MOT inspector if they somehow caught you in the act of doiing so while in operation of the aircraft.

No real parallels to automobile drivers here, i think. Here, drivers are licenced according to the lowest common denominator of skill. Multi-tasking isn't taught in driver's ed - it's discouraged. Earning a pilot's licence is no easy feat. You actually have to demonstrate skill, and the ability to to perform under pressure and less than optimal conditions. You have to meet a much higher standard of performance, than the average schmuck doing the 9-5 commute into TO everyday. You have to maintain and demonstrate that skill level through periodic re-qualification for your pilots licence. For a drivers licence, once qualified, it seems that if you continue to have the ability to breath, your drivers licence is good.
    Last edited by Bandit Bill; 05-03-2009 at 08:46 AM.
    '99 Suzuki Bandit 1200 - '88 Hannigan Comet chair