Any Canadians?? - Page 3

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Canadians??

Re: Any Canadians??

Quote Originally Posted by twinn View Post
    Born and raised

Your lucky this is GTAM and not Montreal, try this on a Rural Quebec or Newfy message board and I would be worried for your saftey.
    Heh, well, at least two of the posters on this particular thread ARE of Newfie heritage.. Newfie's have this wonderful ability to not take themselves, or much of anything for that matter, all that too seriously. The Quebecois.. well, they've got issues fundamental to the Canadian identity that existed long before any of us were here, and will be, long after we are all dust.

We could hang an effigy of Smallwood on principle for what he did to the Outports, and Newfoundland in general.. and Premier Danny Williams' recent arse-wiping of the Canadian Flag in the dispute with the Federal Govt is dispicable, no matter where your allegiances lay in the Political Battlefield.

(waiting for the hate PM's )
    '99 Suzuki Bandit 1200 - '88 Hannigan Comet chair

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Bill View Post
    Heh, well, at least two of the posters on this particular thread ARE of Newfie heritage.. Newfie's have this wonderful ability to not take themselves, or much of anything for that matter, all that too seriously. The Quebecois.. well, they've got issues fundamental to the Canadian identity that existed long before any of us were here, and will be, long after we are all dust.

We could hang an effigy of Smallwood on principle for what he did to the Outports, and Newfoundland in general.. and Premier Danny Williams' recent arse-wiping of the Canadian Flag in the dispute with the Federal Govt is dispicable, no matter where your allegiances lay in the Political Battlefield.

(waiting for the hate PM's )
    Where all Canadians in the end. One of my biggest pet peeves with the Newfs is that I always see their flags on their cars, I know our history but still, it irks me. Truth is that Newfoundland and Quebec would be nothing if not for the help of the rest of Canada.

Next time your in Quebec, try ordering a Molson Canadian lol

Well for starters I've never seen mention of an exclusively Asian ride but the idea that a lot of people equate Canadian with 'white' speaks for itself. Not British. Not Irish. White. Does the white ride include eastern European? Quick rehash of 'Canadian' history... you've got the Native/First Nations, then the French (only took to page 4 before we started slagging them) and then the British. I'm guessing most of the "born and raised Canadians" posting in this thread don't fall into that first group and more than half don't fall into the next two yet they post about about how the immigrants just don't 'get it'. At what point in their family history did they become 'Canadian' and at what point do the brown people get that same stamp of approval?

I thought the whole point of riding (two wheels, one love) was about the bike - the open road. With your leathers on and helmets do you even know if the guy next to you is ________? Does it matter?

I'm not against Christian rides, or Jewish rides, or Asian, hell, even have your 'white' ride. But motives are what I'm calling into question and I'd be curious to see how everybody defines 'white' or even Canadian. Is a fifth generation Asian more Canadian than a 3rd gereration Brit? Vice-versa?

I'm not calling you racist, I don't know anybody on this forum well enough to suggest such a thing - but when people start to make generalizations about "us" and "them" then you venture into sketchy territory and when you then wrap that in some sort of National pride... well it get the hair up on the back of my neck.

This is exactly the kind of thread that gets out of hand very quickly and I know I've waded neck deep into it...

Quote Originally Posted by twinn View Post
    Where all Canadians in the end. One of my biggest pet peeves with the Newfs is that I always see their flags on their cars, I know our history but still, it irks me. Truth is that Newfoundland and Quebec would be nothing if not for the help of the rest of Canada.

Next time your in Quebec, try ordering a Molson Canadian lol
    I don't carry a Newfie flag, or the outline on my car, but i can fully understand the sentiments behind it - it isn't Nationalistic per say.. but simply identifying with an ex-pat regional group, that is actually much larger than the total population of Newfoundland today. There is not much that is political about it. To hackney the phrase, you can take the Newfie out of Newfoundland, but you can't take the Newfoundland out of the Newfie.

Chances are, if you are an ex-pat Newfie, and you see another ex-pat Newfie, somehow - somewhere, there is a middling good chance that you might be related to them, that's how close (I hate to say in-bred ) Newfoundland has historically been, in terms of population demographics and relations.
    Last edited by Bandit Bill; 04-14-2009 at 10:56 PM.

Resurrection

Quote Originally Posted by El Zilcho View Post
    +1

Go Canada!

I am Canadian,because I stood at attention when I saw that Canadian flag

Quote Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
    I am Canadian,because I stood at attention when I saw that Canadian flag
    Hell, I saluted...

I don't qualify for this ride, so sadly I will pass. But could I send my son? He's born and raised here and as a bonus he is white too.
    If it's too loud you're too old.

Quote Originally Posted by tiborgh View Post
    I don't qualify for this ride, so sadly I will pass. But could I send my son? He's born and raised here and as a bonus he is white too.
    Whattya doing in Oakville then? Are you the token non-WASP on your street? Sheesh, my hometown is really stepping down in it's standards

Just joking.. don't plow me when you see me!

How about a Canadian ride as I said before. the colour of your skin does not make you Canadian. It is beleif system, and a passion for certain standards of what is right and fair... No matter how many comments may seem outright "wrong" from white people, I think you'd be hard pressed to find another country where that white guy that made the comment would be the first person to help anyone of any colour out in a bad situation. I bet they'd be the first one to say something if you were being wronged regardless of the shade of your skin. I am open to a unified country that is not based on race or creed, but remember who these so called "white" people are... Some of the most understanding, welcoming, and all around good people in the world. It is easy to cast stones at people that never defend themselves for fear of hurting other peoples feelings.
    I stand by my belief that a Canadian is based on a moral stand, not the colour of skin, although I do feel that white people in Canada are forced to walk a fine line to keep everyone happy and avoid offending other people who may forget, we are all entitled to our own opinion... after all this is Canada. White, Black, Brown, Green, Yellow, whatever... say what you feel, listen to what others feel, and share a pint together because we are ALL lucky to live here.
    Sometimes the sun makes beggars believers
    And sometimes a shrine is built to deceive her
    In between let oblivion ring
    Whoa let me hear all you sad angels sing

Appaloosa

Whattya doing in Oakville then?
    I could say that I bring some color to this place, but i would lie .

don't plow me when you see me
    ... at the Tims on King, smoking beside your unmistakeble sidecar? Last year I let you go, but don't count on that any more...
    If it's too loud you're too old.

... at the Tims on King, smoking beside your unmistakeble sidecar? Last year I let you go, but don't count on that any more...
    Get in line to add some colour to my pasty white face then .. it's a loooong line-up.

(damn, this income tax return is NOT getting done tonight with this thread..)
    Last edited by Bandit Bill; 04-14-2009 at 11:35 PM.

(damn, this income tax return is NOT getting done tonight with this thread..)
    Now there's something that unites us all (besides bikes)!

Banned

All of US can get the hell out if we don't like it UNLESS you are or partial NATIVE.

It boggles my mind how people seem to FORGET that we are ALL IMMIGRANTS or descendants of immigrants so would you like it if someone booted your ancestors out. TREAT others as you want to be TREATED.

Let's make this simple:
    YOU are CANADIAN if
    1. you pay taxes AND you have a CANADIAN PASSPORT/BIRTH CERTIFICATE/CITIZENSHIP CARD.
    2. you pay taxes (well partial status, landed immigrant).
    3. you pay taxes, and not involved in crime but may be here illegally BUT you are WILLING to give your life to defend THIS COUNTRY.

There, see not so hard.

I do take issues with the pandering that occurs and the extra taxes it costs us to cater.
    The OFFICIAL LANGUAGES of CANADA are:
    ENGLISH and FRENCH
    FRENCH and ENGLISH

This is a GREAT COUNTRY (I think we are slipping, sad to say)
    IF YOU can't make it better then perhaps this is not the place for you.

I think this thread needed a qualifier, seems nobody really knows what the original question was asking... Best way to define a Canadian is what Bob and Doug represent, just bring out the beer and back bacon and leave it at that, the rest of the Hosers can just take off, eh!

Quote Originally Posted by KawiZuki View Post
    All of US can get the hell out if we don't like it UNLESS you are or partial NATIVE.

It boggles my mind how people seem to FORGET that we are ALL IMMIGRANTS or descendants of immigrants so would you like it if someone booted your ancestors out. TREAT others as you want to be TREATED.

Let's make this simple:
    YOU are CANADIAN if
    1. you pay taxes AND you have a CANADIAN PASSPORT/BIRTH CERTIFICATE/CITIZENSHIP CARD.
    2. you pay taxes (well partial status, landed immigrant).
    3. you pay taxes, and not involved in crime but may be here illegally BUT you are WILLING to give your life to defend THIS COUNTRY.

There, see not so hard.

I do take issues with the pandering that occurs and the extra taxes it costs us to cater.
    The OFFICIAL LANGUAGES of CANADA are:
    ENGLISH and FRENCH
    FRENCH and ENGLISH

This is a GREAT COUNTRY (I think we are slipping, sad to say)
    IF YOU can't make it better then perhaps this is not the place for you.
    Your obviously referring to the real estate not the political structure or administration when you say "GREAT COUNTRY", right.

It's human nature to be territorial. You can see that everywhere in the world. It's only natural that people get there backs up when their way of life seems threatened.
    Same in a social club, new member can't come in and start trying to change things right away. Members like things the way they are, thank you very much.

I'm in for this ride as long as the Quebecers are kept out. They are not real Canadians and we all know it.

Granparents came here in the 20s or 30s or so. From guess where???

Scotland.. How'd you know???
    "The Christian god can easily be pictured as virtually the same god as the many ancient gods of past civilizations. The Christian god is a three headed monster; cruel, vengeful and capricious. If one wishes to know more of this raging, three headed beast-like god, one only needs to look at the caliber of people who say they serve him. They are always of two classes: fools and hypocrites."

- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Kool View Post
    I was j/k but you make my point. Didn't see you make a fuss over the Asian ride but soon as a white ride is mentioned...racist guys in hoods. Give me a break. When does bs stop?
    Actually been in many European countries...and they are far more racist there than here.
    I don't think this has anything to do with being racist. It has more to do with the "host/guest" attitude. If a group of Canadians go to China, and they want to hang out together, then it seems like "sticking together in a foreign country", same goes for a group of Chinese in Canada. But if Chinese in China want to have a group for themselves it seems like being racist, since they are in "their own" country.

I know that all the Asians from the Asian ride may be Canadians, but "group for Asians in Canada" doesn't sound as exclusive as "group for Canadians in Canada". It has a lot to do with the perceptions and feelings that such names evoke.
    I enjoy listening to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

I am Canadian.

...and my half breed kids too.

A Canadian.....no matter born here or arrives here truely wants to be here..not just for financial gain and nothing more.
    A Canadian....Trys to intergrate into society here and become apart of the fabric.
    A Canadian ....sees the good and bad of this country and tries to help...not rip it apart by bringing old world problems here.
    A Canadian is just and fair....common sense is right.
    A Canadian laughs at himself and uses humour to bring us all together.
    Being Canadian is a honour and a priviledge ....not a right just cuz you filled out the paperwork.
    We get ****** about those who dishonour us...by enjoying our fruits without giving back.
    We welcome you into our house...but please be patient before you want to rearrange all the furniture. We like it this way....isn't why you came?