21 year old male, G and M2, 600cc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 21 year old male, G and M2, 600cc

Rob_JJ

21 year old male, G and M2, 600cc

got my m2, looking at a few older 600cc bikes, have a g with a clean record, i was looking at 2003+ but insurance is ~ $4000, which isnt worth it considering bikes that are 2003+ are anywhere from 5000-7000 approx.

so if i get an older 97-98 gsxr600, and get fire/theft and liability, can i get insurance for under 2k or am i dreaming?
    Last edited by Rob_JJ; 04-14-2009 at 02:47 AM.

Re: 21 year old male, G and M2, 600cc

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_JJ View Post
    got my m2, looking at a few older 600cc bikes, have a g with a clean record, i was looking at 2003+ but insurance is ~ $4000, which isnt worth it considering bikes that are 2003+ are anywhere from 5000-7000 approx.

so if i get an older (97-9 gsxr600, and get fire/theft and liability, can i get insurance for under 2k or am i dreaming?
    check the stick under the insurance section. you should at least shop around untill you find better rates...
    may i add that your age, experience and location do play a factor in your rates also.
    Silly civic. Wings are for airplanes.

you want cheap quotes for a 600cc.. get a triumph daytona. I got a quote from TD for i think around 1300$ for full coverage with one year of riding exp. Now i currently life in calgary so thats what my ins is (actually a little less) for my F4i.. but the quote i did for the 675 was for in ontario. So that is one CHEAP bike to insure and its a sexy sexy machine.
    "Today Is What Tomorrow Is Not" <-- It means grab life by the balls and live free. Quote By Me.

so if i get an older 97-98 gsxr600, and get fire/theft and liability, can i get insurance for under 2k or am i dreaming?
    You're probably dreaming.

Consider something smaller as a first bike. There's lot of good information out there about which bikes are suitable for beginners.

http://bcsportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45571
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    you want cheap quotes for a 600cc.. get a triumph daytona. I got a quote from TD for i think around 1300$ for full coverage with one year of riding exp. Now i currently life in calgary so thats what my ins is (actually a little less) for my F4i.. but the quote i did for the 675 was for in ontario. So that is one CHEAP bike to insure and its a sexy sexy machine.
    I am assuming your rates was a result of you being 25+ ?
    Silly civic. Wings are for airplanes.

k1LO.. im 21.
    "Today Is What Tomorrow Is Not" <-- It means grab life by the balls and live free. Quote By Me.

Do you have five years driving experince since getting your G1?

You would be better off in gettnig a non-sport model and only than your price range would be around 2k.

Once you have motorcycle insurance for about a year than upgrade.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Insurance-Broker View Post
    You would be better off in gettnig a non-sport model and only than your price range would be around 2k.

Once you have motorcycle insurance for about a year than upgrade.

Good luck!
    Not only would this save you money, but it could also save your life.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Rob:

I am 26, have my G & my M2. Been driving over 5 years.

I have had Motorcycle insurance for over a year now and I have 1 minor speeding ticket. I have No claims.

I ride a 1986 Honda Interceptor. 500cc Beginner bike. 23 years old.

I live in Brampton.

State Farm charges me $1,260/year. My policy only includes Liability and Theft/Fire. No collision.

The point I'm making is...whatever your policy $$ amount will be...it'll be way higher then mine judging by your age and bike choice.
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36
    1986 VFR750F Honda Interceptor (sold)
    1986 Honda Interceptor VF500 (sold)
    enhanced by Platinum Powersports

I just had my insurance renewal and I'll tell you, the rates have increased. I'm 23, 7 years with G, 2 years with M2. Clean driving record. The cheapest I've gotten was ~$5000 a year full coverage, ~$3000 a year liability only. I'm with State Farm. The only way for you save is if you have a car with them. So the figures are something like $3000 a year for the bike and $3000 (give or take depending what car) a year for your car, so $6000 a year total for both your car and bike.
    '08 ZX6R

20, G, M2, Sheridan Course Certificate, No Previous MC Insurance paying $2905 liability only on a 2001 ZX-6R that I bought for $3700. This is with Avi and his new company CSIB through RoyalSunAlliance who only go by CC's, not the R or the SS classification or anything. Think of it as the stateFarm for us under 25's without 5 years of G.

Kingsway wanted $10,000 liability only for the same bike. Liability only too.

For the record, with RSA and Kingsway my Ninja500 was $2500, so an extra $500 for a 6R seemed like a no brianer.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoTTY88 View Post
    20, G, M2, Sheridan Course Certificate, No Previous MC Insurance paying $2905 liability only on a 2001 ZX-6R that I bought for $3700. This is with Avi and his new company CSIB through RoyalSunAlliance who only go by CC's, not the R or the SS classification or anything. Think of it as the stateFarm for us under 25's without 5 years of G.

Kingsway wanted $10,000 liability only for the same bike. Liability only too.

For the record, with RSA and Kingsway my Ninja500 was $2500, so an extra $500 for a 6R seemed like a no brianer.
    How do you not have previous insurance if you have been riding a Ninja 500?

I'm 23, G and M. For my F2, F4 and F4i insurance rates were all the same. It doesn't matter the year, only the model and CC's. All three bikes were a CBR600. I pay $2300/year for liability only. I have 1 ticket on my record. I figured that wasn't so bad. To be under 25 and get sportbike insurance below $2000, your dreaming.

In comparison, my CBR250RR, I pay $800/year.

2001 CBR600F4i
    1992 CBR250RR

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    How do you not have previous insurance if you have been riding a Ninja 500?
    I knew someone would catch on.

There was a mixup between my broker and Kingsway and my policy was never recieved and processed by Kingsway. I had no policy number and Kingsway never knew that I existed. I was riding with my 3 month temp slip, but at around the two month mark, when 1/4 of my money should have already been taken, I called and found out about what was goin on. No big deal as the Ninja500 is toast but ya it was still a few days of phone calls getting everything sorted out.

There was a mixup between my broker and Kingsway and my policy was never recieved and processed by Kingsway. I had no policy number and Kingsway never knew that I existed. I was riding with my 3 month temp slip, but at around the two month mark, when 1/4 of my money should have already been taken, I called and found out about what was goin on. No big deal as the Ninja500 is toast but ya it was still a few days of phone calls getting everything sorted out.
    If the problem was that the broker didn't properly send the documentation to the insurance head office, then that shouldn't be your problem. If you were in an accident within the three-month temporary permit period, you should still been covered if you signed all of the necessary paperwork with the broker to initiate the policy (necessary to get the temporary slip), and did not request a cancellation. One of the agents/brokers on the board might be able to confirm?

If the problem was that the broker didn't properly send the documentation to the insurance head office, then that shouldn't be your problem. If you were in an accident within the three-month temporary permit period, you should still been covered if you signed all of the necessary paperwork with the broker to initiate the policy (necessary to get the temporary slip), and did not request a cancellation. One of the agents/brokers on the board might be able to confirm?
    Agreed.

It actually smells a lot like the "apply for insurance, cancel insurance, and keep the pink slip" scheme. But I'm not accusing you

Just an FYI for people out there, riding with a fake pink slip can be worse than riding without one at all. With a fake, you will get nailed for not having insurance AND fraud.

It actually smells a lot like the "apply for insurance, cancel insurance, and keep the pink slip" scheme. But I'm not accusing you

Just an FYI for people out there, riding with a fake pink slip can be worse than riding without one at all. With a fake, you will get nailed for not having insurance AND fraud.

True that!

Be very careful.

Don't pay cash to a broker and make sure that the premium is in line with others.

E.g if you have been quoted 3-4k and someone is offering 1k with cash up-front, it's most likely a fake and you are better off throwing your money in a dump!

Gee I wish I thought of that!!

Anyways, I just paid Avi (well RSA I guess) $2905 for my new bike (01 ZX6r) so the days of worring about the Ninja500 are gone

Thanks again Avi.