Talon Alarm Group Buy Round 2 - Anyone Interested? - Page 11

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Talon Alarm Group Buy Round 2 - Anyone Interested?

Re: Talon Alarm Group Buy Round 2 - Anyone Interested?

Quote Originally Posted by knowledge View Post
    Has anyone found that the perimeter sensor is pretty much useless? It picks up cars passing by, but not people. If you make it more sensitive, it'll pick up cars passing by from farther away.
    I have a Talon alarm; probably 3 years old now and yes, the perimeter sensor is useless. Seems to be activated by ground vibrations that certainly don't include a person walking near the bike. The entire alarm system is a P.O.S. as far as I'm concerned. Alarm siren activates when it shouldn't and doesn't activate when it should (at least sometimes). It certainly was the cheapest system I could find with a lot of good features but; I guess you get what you pay for.

Has anyone found that the perimeter sensor is pretty much useless?
    I found the perimeter sensor works quite well. I turned up the sensitivity just a bit to gt it where I want it. I really like the way it gives warning chirps prior to firing off. It lets people know to back off in a sort-of "nice" way. I have never had it go off with a passing car.

Perhps you should try a different mounting location for your sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Meenie View Post
    I have a Talon alarm; probably 3 years old now and yes, the perimeter sensor is useless. Seems to be activated by ground vibrations that certainly don't include a person walking near the bike. ... I guess you get what you pay for.
    Indeed, you often do get what you pay for. For the money, I am quite happy with the alarm. As noted in the previous post, the perimeter sensor works perfectly on my installation. You might need to install yours in a differnt spot to get it to work properly.

The issue with ground vibrations might be solved by adjusting the shock sensitivity. I think I set mine to Level 4 (out of 5) and only large trucks passing have set it off. Your installation might require it to be de-tuned a bit from the factory setting of 3 to avoid the false alarms.

There were a few posts asking about a new group buy. To summarize: this thread is very old; Talon is currently "out of stock"; Reports are that the new Talon design is awaiting a new siren; If you want a group buy I suggest starting a new thread rather than posting here again. Fianlly, if you read earlier posts in this thread there may still be a couple of 'pre-owned' units for sale.

Where the sun don't shine (Toronto, you nasty)

Quote Originally Posted by iav8 View Post
    I found the perimeter sensor works quite well. I turned up the sensitivity just a bit to gt it where I want it. I really like the way it gives warning chirps prior to firing off. It lets people know to back off in a sort-of "nice" way. I have never had it go off with a passing car.

Perhps you should try a different mounting location for your sensor.
    Thanks for the advice. Where did you put yours? Mine's right on top of the battery.

& it's definitely cars setting off the perimeter sensor. It doesn't happen when I only arm it for shock.

Thanks for the advice. Where did you put yours? Mine's right on top of the battery.
    & it's definitely cars setting off the perimeter sensor. It doesn't happen when I only arm it for shock.
    I mounted mine right over the battery too. It seems odd that a car sets off the Perimieter sensor. Does the disarm code also suggest a perimeter trigger? I'm not sure how those sensors work so I can't comment on why it might be happening. With the sensitivity setting that I am using (just a bit more sentsitive than factory settings) you have to have some motion over a period of time to trigger the first warning; a bit more motion and you get the second warning chirp; then a bit more and you get the full blown alarm. If you stad still, you can be there all day! Good luck with it.

Please delete.
    Last edited by adri; 04-11-2011 at 09:15 PM.

Where the sun don't shine (Toronto, you nasty)

Hey guys, does any one have a key that I can borrow for a couple of minutes (do they even have the same generic key)? I turned my siren off for the winter, and now I can't find the key (I'm such an idiot. ). I'm by the warden/st. clair area, but I'm willing to travel anywhere, since I could use a ride, any way.

PM me if you can help me out & I'll give you 5 bucks for a couple minutes of your time!

Hey guys, does any one have a key that I can borrow for a couple of minutes (do they even have the same generic key)?
    You might try looking at the list at the top of this thread... it has the user names for the folks who bought. Many have their location shown in their profile – if there is someone close by, you could PM them... just a thought, as this thread is so very old.

I love my talon alarm and perimeter sensor and FYI, you can adjust the sensivity of the perimeter sensor as well as the shock sensor so cars driving by wont set it off.
    Last edited by strictlye; 04-06-2011 at 11:56 AM.
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/strictlye/signature.jpg