Who does this dork think he is???

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle6028723.ece
    ***Next to Motorcycles, Diamonds are a girls best friend***

Banned

Re: "If motorcyclists want people to spot them, here’s an idea. Buy a car"

He's Jeremy Clarkson.

Who are you??

sarcasm...as for the police being able to plug in their computer to see how fast you were going...well...that's a new one...

I already posted what I thought of his comment (and some other comments) on the site.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

In the U.S. they are trying to pass a toll system where they lowjack your car and bill you by the mile. I wonder how long it would take for it to be used by the law enforcement community
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    In the U.S. they are trying to pass a toll system where they lowjack your car and bill you by the mile. I wonder how long it would take for it to be used by the law enforcement community
    Kind of like the transponders used for the 407?
    x

No.. I'm not 100% sure about the technology, whether it's a GPS logger where they just dump your data periodically or if it's a GPS receiver that also transmits signal to their network as long as you're within the state (one of those two for sure). So the government would have access about EVERY place where your car ever went!

Banned

Insurance companies are also testing that idea.
    They will give you reduced rates if you stay within the speed limit but if you go over it the logging service does NOT report it against you.

It does not seem to make complete sense to me.

On another note, can the Police request Onstar information to prove your speed in court? Can the Insurance companies do the same to adjust your rates?

I think she meant as if the 407 could see when you get on and off highway and check for speeding...
    *gasp*

First... whoever wrote that is a dick...

second... i think she was referring to the 407 as in billing by the mileage... not the technology
    1987 Honda CBX 250 - retired
    1984 Suzuki GS450 - retired
    1993 Yamaha XJ600SE - retired
    1999 ZX6R - currently riding

Yes, that would be the same kinda system. Every mile you put on while you're in your home state gets billed. Based on the overview of the technology, that wouldn't distinguish b/w public roads, private roads or offroad use for that matter but that's only a minor beef considering the fact that they're thinking of billing people for using the roads built by their tax money (minor beef #2) and following every driver's every move (1984 anyone?).

Quote Originally Posted by KawiZuki View Post
    On another note, can the Police request Onstar information to prove your speed in court? Can the Insurance companies do the same to adjust your rates?
    No. OnStar makes no claim to be able to track your speed, or to be accurate at all. Plus, I'm sure this would violate a whole bunch of privacy laws.

The police can, in the event of an accident, pull your vehicle's ECU which often records a few seconds (up to minutes, depending on model) of data, including VSS data, which is admissible in court as evidence.
    CHOWDAH RIDAH

2007 ZX-14 -92,000km
    2006 BW'S -7,000km
    2005 ZX636R -63,533km (stolen)
    2004 SV650S -30,000km (sold)
    2003 ZZR250 -15,000km (sold)

Current tire choice: Pirelli Angel
    Last tire choice: Road Smart- 19,000 on last set (not the best though..)
    CSC Certified Riding Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by KawiZuki View Post
    Insurance companies are also testing that idea.
    They will give you reduced rates if you stay within the speed limit but if you go over it the logging service does NOT report it against you.

It does not seem to make complete sense to me.

yup, that's what i got, autograph insurance, you plug the little device in your car and you can receive anywhere from 10 to 25% off your insurance...you just pull the device and plug it into you computer and submit the data online...measures for going over 120km/h, hard braking or accelerating, and distance travelled...i do too much distance, so i get the 10% only...but it's neat...they are testing a GPS based model now that supports two way transmission...i ain't a big fan of that one at all, and i'm sure they will figure out a way to muscle that in to vehicles down the road...

Scary part is that they know where you are, when you're there, how long you stayed, and can track your every move. Imagine getting busted with a bag of pot because they know you stopped at your dealer's place for 20 minutes. lol

On a positive note, real crime like kidnappings could have some happy endings to them. Speeding is only the tip of the iceberg with that sinario.
    Keep the front wheel in the air and the shiny side up.

Guelph
    Past bikes-77 Yam YZ100, 80 Hon CR125, 84 Yam XT600, 86 Hon CR250, 87 Yam TW200, 03 Hon CBR954, 05 Busa
    Current bikes- 08 Busa, 06 Hon CRF50

Or it can be used by the government to track dissidents and politically unsuitable people. Thank you very much, but I prefer solid investigative policing and my privacy.

on the counter part, Can I will implement a device that replace/override the car speed / GPS record, and sell it on evilbay?

So whenever the cop pull you over / insurance plug-in or whoever trying to get your speed record, they will get a reading of legal speed.

I am dreaming

not so
    pure 2-stroke spirit

I can't believe we're even talking about this....

Is anyone else as worried about where we as a society is heading? Orwell anyone?
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

I guess most of you have never seen/heard Jeremy Clarkson on TV before, you can say he has a very dry sense of humour.