wants to learn how to wheelie!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wants to learn how to wheelie!!!

wants to learn how to wheelie!!!

hello everyone, im not new to motorcycling but i feel the need to learn how to wheelie...any one of you pro's willing to teach me a safe way to do it? dont wanna hurt my baby 04-r6...just want to fly!

Re: wants to learn how to wheelie!!!

everyone will drop a bike evennnnnnnnnntually. Doing wheelies just makes it happen faster! I think some of the guys here will be happy to help you but I don't think they are gunna make you any guarentees that your bike will stay the way it is!

I'm far from good, so you wont be getting any advice from me other than power wheelies are not the safe way to do it!
    Train yourself to clutch it up so you can do it at MUCH slower speeds. It wont guarantee you won't crash, but at least you may be in 1 piece when you do!

Or do what I do and get a dirtbike. Then when you stall the bike at the balance point because you don't know how to roll them out well enough (Im guilty of this! lol) it won't matter if you drop it.
    Last edited by amp3d; 04-10-2009 at 05:13 AM.
    ** Thanks for being a part of the GTAM Ride for Sight Motorcycle Team! **
    "Is that the way they drive in Tiananmen Square, b!tch?" - Ari Gold, Entourage
    2007 GSXR750, 2005 CRF450X | Proud Member of the 2006-2008 ODSC! | Facebook me!

Quote Originally Posted by decepticon_R6 View Post
    hello everyone, im not new to motorcycling but i feel the need to learn how to wheelie...any one of you pro's willing to teach me a safe way to do it? dont wanna hurt my baby 04-r6...just want to fly!
    Sorry can't help you, I have a rule of them I go by when it comes to stunting, if you have to ask, your not ready.

Two questions.
    1. Do you want to stunt?(slow wheelies, parking lot stuff etc.) If so, it's like off roading your jeep or truck, you have to be willing to write off your bike, you will destroy it. If this is what you want, crash proof your bike and yourself as best as possible. Cage, sliders, barends, 12bar, jp fairing stay, helmet, knee and elbow protection etc.. Or you can horse around on a dirtbike. Once you've crash proofed your new stunter, go hit a lot and giver' sh*t. Learning at your own pace and not someone elses is important!

2. Do you just want to be able to rip a nice wheelie while out on a streetride or backroad? If so, this is a bit more dangerous than the slower parking lot stuff! You should be very very comfortable on your bike. These faster wheelies are far more dangerous for obvious reasons. If you want to go for a ride some time, pm me, if you look like you can handle your bike, I'll give you some tips and you'll be on one in no time!

NOTE: Alot of people want to wheelie, but once they get the wheel even an inch off the ground they freak. There is a large fear factor involved. Having said that, you have to REALLY WANT TO DO IT! It comes down to balls and commitment! I can tell you til' were both blue in the face what to do, but if you don't commit to it, it won't happen. This includes knowing you may wreck and hurt yourself! In response to your op there is no SAFE way to wheelie, they are dangerous! They are only safe when you know what your doing thanks to hours and hours of practice.(knowing how to fall, wearing gear, when to get away from the bike etc.) Newbies need to understand that what you see in videos looks easy thanks to the riders involved. They are not easy and they are dangerous, never forget that!
    Last edited by You Know; 04-10-2009 at 11:25 AM.
    It is what it is...

I have a black belt in anger!

Quote Originally Posted by You Know View Post
    Two questions.
    1. Do you want to stunt?(slow wheelies, parking lot stuff etc.) If so, it's like off roading your jeep or truck, you have to be willing to write off your bike, you will destroy it. If this is what you want, crash proof your bike and yourself as best as possible. Cage, sliders, barends, 12bar, jp fairing stay, helmet, knee and elbow protection etc.. Or you can horse around on a dirtbike. Once you've crash proofed your new stunter, go hit a lot and giver' sh*t. Learning at your own pace and not someone elses is important!

2. Do you just want to be able to rip a nice wheelie while out on a streetride or backroad? If so, this is a bit more dangerous than the slower parking lot stuff! You should be very very comfortable on your bike. These faster wheelies are far more dangerous for obvious reasons. If you want to go for a ride some time, pm me, if you look like you can handle your bike, I'll give you some tips and you'll be on one in no time!

NOTE: Alot of people want to wheelie, but once they get the wheel even an inch off the ground they freak. There is a large fear factor involved. Having said that, you have to REALLY WANT TO DO IT! It comes down to balls and commitment! I can tell you til' were both blue in the face what to do, but if you don't commit to it, it won't happen. This includes knowing you may wreck and hurt yourself! In response to your op there is no SAFE way to wheelie, they are dangerous! They are only safe when you know what your doing thanks to hours and hours of practice.(knowing how to fall, wearing gear, when to get away from the bike etc.) Newbies need to understand that what you see in videos looks easy thanks to the riders involved. They are not easy and they are dangerous, never forget that!
    +1 to "knowing how to fall"!
    Eventually the bike will drop, it's just a matter of doing it in a safe and damage minimizing way (obviously easier at very slow speeds!).

Good luck with the wheelies though let us know how you progress
    ** Thanks for being a part of the GTAM Ride for Sight Motorcycle Team! **
    "Is that the way they drive in Tiananmen Square, b!tch?" - Ari Gold, Entourage
    2007 GSXR750, 2005 CRF450X | Proud Member of the 2006-2008 ODSC! | Facebook me!

im gonna scoop someones line lol

" clutch , rev, dump " yut agggh~~

Quote Originally Posted by mychevysucks View Post
    im gonna scoop someones line lol

" clutch , rev, dump " yut agggh~~

yut ugghh.....yut agggh must be the cdn version
    like a good blowjob Statefarm is there!

Quote Originally Posted by You Know View Post
    crash proof your bike and yourself as best as possible. Cage, 12bar, jp fairing stay, helmet, knee and elbow protection etc. Once you've crash proofed your new stunter, go hit a lot and giver' sh*t. Learning at your own pace and not someone elses is important!
    Dude, that's the best advise that anyone can give you. But you might trash your bike in the processes.
    Its not what you ride, its how you ride it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
    Sorry can't help you, I have a rule of them I go by when it comes to stunting, if you have to ask, your not ready.
    So when is someone ready? When they wake up and find that they magically posses the knowledge to wheelie?

i remember my first power wheelie. it was awsome. it was like i was just floating there.

Quote Originally Posted by decepticon_R6 View Post

...and after I trash my bike I still want cheap insurance rates..

Get on a dirt bike!
    Was doing them yesterday around my backyard in 1st gear.
    got the bike moving to just below the power band, clutched in, revved up, dropped the clutch and up she goes, then just modulate the throttle to bring the wheel higher or bring it down. Takes a bit of time to learn how high to rev up before u drop the clutch but it can be done.
    Don't bring the feet off the pegs to behind you, as a newb it will feel safer but it actually brings your balance further back and u will over rotate plus you can't hit the rear brake...
    I'd start out on a buddies dirt bike if I could. I don't mind teaching mates new stuff on the dirt bike since I already crash it like 10 times a weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by bruzer_boy View Post
    i remember my first power wheelie. it was awsome. it was like i was just floating there.
    Ah yes, the first was the best. Good times.

thanks guys...this is all very helpful...but i was think if one of you guys are willing to be there with me to try it out for the 1st time...i think i would better having someone there...msg me if anyone wants to meet and ride for a bit, then try it out
    Last edited by decepticon_R6; 04-12-2009 at 09:44 PM.

This always ends the same way, might not be the first time but eventually if you mess with the wheelies your going to **** up your bike....

Everyone told me I would kill myself when I bought my first bike, I didnt kill myself but my first crash was due to trying wheelies...I made it through the whole riding season without incident, but the wheelies got me in the end....

Then I spent a **** load of money fixing and modding that bike out, only to mess with the wheelies again and right it off the first weekend I busted it out the next season...So again messing with wheelies got me....

Just dont be too surprized if it happens to you
    Last edited by JohnnyP636; 04-12-2009 at 02:50 PM.

the only way to learn wheelies is to eat **** a bunch of times
    RR

Quote Originally Posted by IH8ATTN View Post
    yut ugghh.....yut agggh must be the cdn version
    LOOOOOOOL CANADIAN VERSION, i just peed myself laughing

huhuhu

i know what you did last weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by Spizzak View Post
    So when is someone ready? When they wake up and find that they magically posses the knowledge to wheelie?
    When they have the experience and feel for their machine and understand the dynamics of performing the stunt, it's not magic, it's physics.

i definitely recommend a dirt bike or super motard super light, torquey, great for clutching it up...

be prepared to bang your balls too if you slam rear brake on to bring bike down.. . Oouch !! it hurts haha

check the video from SuperBike magazine with Dave whathis name? really good video that walks you through warming up to do a wheelie