Conditions of Gravenhurst area roads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conditions of Gravenhurst area roads

Conditions of Gravenhurst area roads

I am thinking of doing a run up north this weekend. Anybody knows the conditions of the Muskoka roads or Southwood rd ?

cheers
    Resident Loudmouth

Re: Conditions of Gravenhurst area roads

Southwood guaranteed will be a beach until some time in late July.

Barrie and north got fair bit of snow in the last three days, I wouldn't be in a big hurry to ride a bike in the area any time soon.
    Doo you own a snowmobile ?

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieRev View Post
    Barrie and north got fair bit of snow in the last three days, I wouldn't be in a big hurry to ride a bike in the area any time soon.
    Doo you own a snowmobile ?
    No, but it calls for 10*C this weekend
    Resident Loudmouth

I'm going up tomorrow night..can post on Friday morning. I'd say anything but the most travelled roads will be seriously sand-covered in spots. If you go, use your head.
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

Quote Originally Posted by invictus43 View Post
    I'd say anything but the most travelled roads will be seriously sand-covered in spots. If you go, use your head.
    Southwood 13 on March 27th 2009

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2645.jpg  

Just spoke to a distributor rep who lives in Gravenhurst today. They have snow on the ground with more expected tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    No, but it calls for 10*C this weekend
    8" of snow isn't going to disappear quickly when the overnight temps are still well below freezing...

Quote Originally Posted by CBRJOHN View Post
    That's a lot of sand. I was going to go up to Awenda Park and Penetanguishene this weekend... No rain in sight all weekend either...
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

I am coming from Petawawa, down 60 through the park to 11 then the 400 tomorrow evenning and I will let you know the conditions on those roads when I arrive home tomorrow night!
    Here on base we have still 6" of snow and it's all heavy wet stuff so it was about double that as of last night, but the roads here didn't get too covered in sand and salt.

Quote Originally Posted by CBRJOHN View Post
    Thats all I wanted to know.

cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by rmemedic View Post
    I am coming from Petawawa, down 60 through the park to 11 then the 400 tomorrow evenning and I will let you know the conditions on those roads when I arrive home tomorrow night!
    Here on base we have still 6" of snow and it's all heavy wet stuff so it was about double that as of last night, but the roads here didn't get too covered in sand and salt.
    If it is not as displayed in the pic, give me the news
    Resident Loudmouth

Besides the sand on southwood road, the frost has taken its toll on the road conditions, this is also true for Muskoka Beach Road, ( there is more beach than road ) also the area of Muskoka Beach Road near Taboo has been under construction for all of winter, new sewer mains, and the road goes from bad to not much better.

I would stick to the main routes as much as possible. I live up here and I have had my bike out, but on the main roads. Planning to go to Fiery Grill though next Wednesday night....
    " I don't want a pickle, I'd rather just ride on my motorcycle."

I came down 60 through the park today in the cage, roads seemed in clean condition, just watch the edges on a couple of the corners, other than that it looked good!

Quote Originally Posted by rmemedic View Post
    I came down 60 through the park today in the cage, roads seemed in clean condition, just watch the edges on a couple of the corners, other than that it looked good!
    good to hear. Thanks for the input!

cheers
    Resident Loudmouth

11 is pretty clean. The exits off 11 north of Orillia are so-so..sandy at the intersections. The roads off 11 are not good north of Orillia. Most of the secondary roads around here look like dirt roads at this time of year. Be careful. Oh, and it's -5C here..haha!
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

I know its only been a short time, but can someone update road conditions now. Was thinking of making an overnight including a trip through SW13 then up to Algonquin Park. Was there any rain up there this weekend to clean up a bit?
    -1979 Honda CB650 (SOLD)
    -2006 Suzuki GS500F (SOLD)
    -2007 25th Anniversary Honda VFR800 (+50k km)

Roads in the Bracebridge/ Bala/ Port Carling general areas are relatively clean, but still sand at edges and intersection corners. I am currently in this area. It has rained on and off the last 2 days, so the roads are getting better, but be careful(season is just starting). Good luck and ride safe.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketrc51 View Post
    Roads in the Bracebridge/ Bala/ Port Carling general areas are relatively clean, but still sand at edges and intersection corners. I am currently in this area. It has rained on and off the last 2 days, so the roads are getting better, but be careful(season is just starting). Good luck and ride safe.
    Does southwood still have the miles of gravel at the north end?

I headed up north from bradford with some friends saturday morning .. the roads from here to orillia and hwy 11 from orillia to Southwood 13 were great ... we hit southwood 13.. hwy 169.. bala rd... and white falls road/upper big chite into coldwater..

Southwood 13 had some areas absolutley covered with sand ... but there are also some stretches that were are clear and great to ride again!..

hwy 169 and Bala rd (hwy38 ) are in great shape... no sand and raods are in excellent condition..

whites falls/upper big chute are in pretty decent shape too... just a few sandy areas but noting like some of the spots along southwood 13.

hope this helps .. we where were out on saturday april 25th
    Last edited by Alex346; 04-27-2009 at 12:37 AM.

Awesome thanks for the post. I have that loop on my list of rides this year, leaving from the landing !!!!