How to: gut cat box, 08 R6? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to: gut cat box, 08 R6?

Re: How to: gut cat box, 08 R6?

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    ummm. I am supposed to LOL at that? Are you complaing about everyone who's ever installed a full system on their bike? I mean seriously, who still has cat's if their bike came with them? All that weight and resistance, figured it's the first thing to go on most

-Jamie M.
    Full system doesn't mean removing catalytic converter.
    If your bike has a cat, you have to keep it on to be street legal.

That aside, louder doesn't make more power. It probably will kill your fuel economy though.
    My leo vince pipe runs much better with the baffel, performance and fuel consumption.
    _/\_/\ . ÷ z z z Z ZZ
    ,,,-_-,,,

Bring everything you need and nothing you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by przemek View Post
    I disagree its lets the slut bang whos driving her big *** suv, talking on her cell phone while smoking know that your pulling up beside side her so she doesnt run you of hwy 7. And it has happened before many time.( prior to slip on for me) and im pretty sure other riders can vouch to that. And im not talking about super 140 dB blow your ear dumbs D&D slip on thats been gutted of its baffle loud pipes just something modest, that lets others know your there and to make them aware.

Ould Pipes Save Elvis!
    - Makes just as much sense.

http://www.arrrg.ca/product_info.php?products_id=35
    _/\_/\ . ÷ z z z Z ZZ
    ,,,-_-,,,

Bring everything you need and nothing you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    That's what loud horns are for. Loud pipes basically say "I'm to damn lazy to pay attention to inattentive drivers so I decided to annoy all people within a couple of block radius and force them to pay attention to me.".

Yes you are. Nothing remotely "modest" will wake up the lady from your example above. What are you going to do anyway, rev it at 12,000rpm through downtown all the time? It's much easier, not to mention cheaper, to get a very loud horn and practically blast off the road (only) those that don't pay attention? Invest the price difference in some high visibility clothing/helmet/stickers/lights and you have a winning combination.
    Yeah thats what im gonna do, ride around honking my horn every 20 seconds so people who dont pay attention know there is a scooter around on the road. Slipons provide a bit of noise and alert people it lets them know you close by, horn are there to let then know they f_u_c_Ked up and they cant drive worth ****. And i do pay attendion hense i havent yet been run off the road by one of these senseless drivers in the cages.

As for the air horn i did think about it a few times but i wouldnt be surprised if the cops gave me a ticket for it.
    MAMY TRADYCJE JEBAC POLICJE ! ! !

Ok, seeing as I'm going to be holding off on my Akropovic full system, question:

So, in the terms of making things louder while I wait for my Akropovic system:

1. Will gutting the cat box make the factory can any louder?
    2. Is there anything simple to modify in the can (after the cat box is gutted) to make it louder?

If the stock can is too quiet I was thinking about gutting the cat and putting on a D&D. Supposed to be the loudest slip-on cept for the undertails.

-Jamie M.
    (P.S. I promise, last new thread for today)
    ummm. I am supposed to LOL at that? Are you complaing about everyone who's ever installed a full system on their bike? I mean seriously, who still has cat's if their bike came with them? All that weight and resistance, figured it's the first thing to go on most

-Jamie M.
    Maybe you should make up your mind why you want to do it. Is it for more noise or less weight?
    Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    Andreas and frekeyguy,
    Both of you ride supersport bikes on the street, and neither of you do it very well.
    Their intended purpose was for racing, why don't you guys buy scooters, the handling ability of a vespa is still beyond anything either of you are going to need.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu View Post
    Maybe you should make up your mind why you want to do it. Is it for more noise or less weight?
    I was speaking about other people wanting to ditch it for less weight and less restriction.

I want more noise. Less weight is just a bonus.

-Jamie M.

As for the air horn i did think about it a few times but i wouldnt be surprised if the cops gave me a ticket for it.
    You really have no clue what you are talking about, do you?

There are no horn loudness limits in the HTA and no cop can give you a ticket for a loud horn unless you are abusing it big time (in all fairness, it looks like you would be doing just that).

You can and will get a ticket if your pipe is too loud because it's against the law. Once enough people like you annoy everyone with their obnoxious, unnecesary and constant noise, the current law will be changed or more strictly enforced. Keep it up and you will soon be forced to add mufflers.
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

I was speaking about other people wanting to ditch it for less weight and less restriction.

I want more noise. Less weight is just a bonus.

-Jamie M.
    I want more noise. That says it all. Loud for Loud sake. What an assinine atitude.
    ride - if you want to

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    You really have no clue what you are talking about, do you?

There are no horn loudness limits in the HTA and no cop can give you a ticket for a loud horn unless you are abusing it big time (in all fairness, it looks like you would be doing just that).

You can and will get a ticket if your pipe is too loud because it's against the law. Once enough people like you annoy everyone with their obnoxious, unnecesary and constant noise, the current law will be changed or more strictly enforced. Keep it up and you will soon be forced to add mufflers.

I would abuse using a horn all the time, cuz there are so many jack *** drivers id be using all the time. As for the ticket, the cops would probably spin something stupid like unessisary noise or somenoise polution.

As for the pipes being too loud i totally agree with you, however your loosing focus of the main issue which is this kid who is gutting his cat or replace it with a straight down pipe, and put on a D & D or some slip on just so he can make more noise. And hes said i quote "I want more noise. Less weight is just a bonus." so his main purpose is to make noise, i suggest you re read the thread, and stop lecturing me about the HTA.

by the way a majority of slip on sold today are street legal and come with sound baffling inserts to give the rider that exrta little bit of rumble nothing compaired to someone gutting cat or replacing with down pipe and sticking a D&D on the end.
    MAMY TRADYCJE JEBAC POLICJE ! ! !

As for the pipes being too loud i totally agree with you, however your loosing focus of the main issue which is this kid who is gutting his cat or replace it with a straight down pipe, and put on a D & D or some slip on just so he can make more noise.
    I was under very strong impression that you are in the "loud pipes save lives" camp, sorry if I misunderstood you. The main issue is too much resonance between some people's ears
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

lol... Midpipe should be here Wednesday! WOOT! Hopefully will get it installed before the Algonquin run and Spring Bling

-Jamie M.

lol... Midpipe should be here Wednesday! WOOT! Hopefully will get it installed before the Algonquin run and Spring Bling

-Jamie M.
    did you even get M2 yet

i saw you posted another msg in the hookups section about your having to get home b4 dark
    RACE #36
    2011 CRF450R SM

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgY View Post
    did you even get M2 yet
    Nope, M2 test is May 1st.

Had some probs installing the mid pipe tonight. Damn Ti is hard to cut! I got my cat all chopped off, but the damn honeycomb material inside the headers was next to impossible to remove! I killed a drill bit trying to make a hole through it. Dremmel was next to useless. Instructions said hammer it out with a chisel. I tried that, just dulled the hell outa the chisel and barely dented the stuff. It's not an option leaving it in because I ended up using my chop saw to cut the pipe, and it melted all the honeycomb so it's pretty much 90% clogged.

This crap (not my pic):

It's off to Precision Cycle tommorow morning so their machine shop can clean it out for me. Hopefully the weather is OK tommorow night so I can get her re-assembled and ready for Algonquin and Spring Bling

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

-Jamie M.
    I harp on EVERYBODY who defeats the emission controls on ANYTHING.
    Especially the NOx pollution of MCs.

You should try to make as much dust as possible when you're gutting it. Hopefully it's ceramic -- Cuz that stuff is awesome for your lungs. But it's probably stainless steel; which is why it's giving you such a hard time. BTW, as far as horsepower and torque go, what do you think happens to the linear velocity of the exhaust gases when it suddenly enters a large volume chamber with no restrictions ? And how will that effect your scavenging ?

Oh yeah, I forgot you're smarter than the TEAM of ENGINEERS that designed the bike.

I'm hope the shop you're taking it to is happy about the "free plug" you gave on how to illegally defeat emission equipment. In the times of recession, everybody loves paying $10,000 government fines.

-And in response:

yadda, yadda, yadda, you know everything... You've proven how smart you are in the other threads.

WOOT! Just got her back. Shop broke two end mill bits on the milling machine and five carbide bits on the die grinder, but got her all cleaned out! Polished up the inside (can't even tell there was anything ever in there!), gave the headers a full wash good thing cause where was some baked on mud that I couldn't get off

Will try and install tonight if not raining, will be all set to make ears bleed on the Algonquin and Spring Bling runs. WOOT!

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Well, installed the mid pipe. Fit like a dream! Everything went together flawlessly except the clamps provided with the midpipe were too large

Napa: http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...ion=Hose+Clamp

I don't think those are even exhaust clamps, cause it doesn't look like they'd ever tighen enough to squeeze the pipe at all. When done fully up, the two T shoulders bottom out when it's down to about 2 1/2", and the midpipe is 2 1/4" so they are a no-go.

I guess I'll go to a shop on Monday and have em tack the midpipe to the headers where they are now, then take off headers with midpipe and have em weld it all nice.

Now, question. I know my headers are Ti, the mid pipe is made out of steel that is zinc plated with a high temp paint. What type of weld would be best? Can any idiot do this or am I going to have to hire skilled labour? Should I re-paint the welds/midpipe after welding?

And OMG the factory muffler sounds SO sweet with this. Nice and deep and quiet at idle (servo valve fully closed). At about 4,000 rpm she starts to get a little loud but still deep and nice, but at 8k and up she screams like a raspy banchee! Lovin the setup so far

-Jamie M.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Any transport truck shop can sell you stainl;ess steel t bolt band clamps.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Do you think they have enuff clamping force to tighten it up? Do you think they sell them smaller then the 2.5" one I've got??

I always prefer welding over clamping, so still a toss up.

-Jamie M.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Englishj View Post
    That exhaust looks like a coffee thermos.

-2 posing points.
    that is definitely a gay little exhaust..

Quote Originally Posted by RC-31 View Post
    I harp on EVERYBODY who defeats the emission controls on ANYTHING.
    It's funny you should say that because cat gut was commonly used for harps and violins.