anyone familiar with northern motorsports ??

Thread: anyone familiar with northern motorsports ??

Cool anyone familiar with northern motorsports ??

Hi everyone... I'm a long time rider from Belleville ON and am looking to move up finally...something i have been saying for years, hoping to buy new...but have set my sights lower now. I've been searching for used bikes, and Northern Motorsports in Bradford has quite a few. i take it that they only deal in used bikes. Has anyone had any dealings with them? Do they piece together salvage bikes to make a good one? anyone ever felt ripped off after?

thanks everyone....and enjoy the riding

sd

Re: anyone familiar with northern motorsports ??

Bought a used bike from them about five years ago and everything was good. Just to add to that though i think the bike i purchased was a consignment deal...

Speaking of salvage bikes i bought one from Ontario Cycle they told me it's history up front.....i have put over 50,000kms on it with no problems what so ever.

thanks...good to know

I haven't dealt with them, or been in their store, but I have done some research on them.

I saw an add for some of their bikes in the Auto Trader in January, and noticed the prices were lower than other dealers (made me somewhat suspicious).

After doing a search on GTAM, I think I know why they are cheaper than other dealers. I believe they buy lower priced bikes from the U.S., then import them here. This doesn't mean that the bikes are damaged, but they are probably higher risk then if you buy from other dealers.

I recommend that you get the bike checked out before buying from them.

SeaMe

Thumbs up Re: anyone familiar with northern motorsports ??

I bought my bike bike from them last year. Canadian model, clean and prepared nicely for delivery. I put 12000 kms on in a short season. Go and have a look. Nice people, low overhead, good selection of used bikes.
    Pledge

I tried to deal with them twice. Crappy experience both times, won't go back.

I've delt with them and know people that have also, id give them neutral feedback. They have some of the cheapest bikes around but then again most of them are beat cosmeticaly. I'd recommend them for a bike purchase, just check the bike out first and know what your getting.

Wicked-Vengence

Personally, I would never deal with them again.

I bought a bike off them a few years back and was suppose to receive a discount on anything I bought with the bike. So, I browsed through their catalog, decided on some gear and sent over the list to make sure they had it in stock or could order it in (several weeks before hand) and said I'd be in on X day to get the bike at Y time.

When I get there, they had approx 10% of the stuff that I wanted (Never bothering to order the rest), wouldn't honor the discount to order the stuff in and hadn't prepped the bike or got the ownership changed over. I was left sitting there for 4 hours while they got everything ready. Although, the guy was kind enough to offer me a free cargo net for the mix up .

I've dealt with worse, but these guys rank down there.

I took a drive up there one Saturday to take a look. The guy that was showing me around was very nice. Also he gave me some really good advice on insurance and what to look for. As for the bikes, like somebody said before, they were cosmetically beat up. Scrapes all along the fairings on most of them. The cruisers looked to be in better shape than the sport bikes. The prices were strange in terms of I could not figure out why some bikes were much cheaper than others when they were much newer and better. Did not look into that too much. In the end I bought from GP Bikes instead.

Thumbs up Re: anyone familiar with northern motorsports ??

My wife and I just bought our first bike from Northern this spring - overall it was a great experience. The sales rep (Nick) was helpful, knowledgeable & very friendly. The bike (an '82 Yamaha Exciter SR250) is in kilometers, in immaculate condition, very low mileage and a pretty good price. Nick came down and delivered the bike to downtown T.O. (after holding it for us for 3 weeks until we finished our safety course) and ran through the operation, basic maintenance & did a general inspection with us.

When we were up there initially to buy the bike, we took a look at the gear and it seemed to be decent price and we also got a 10% discount on gear (that we didn't make use of) for buying the bike.

It's not a shiny, fancy place like Kahuna, but I definitely preferred Northern and trusted the staff there much more (I got a real "greasy sales guy" vibe from Kahuna when I went in looking to buy - ex: specifically said I was looking for a used beginner bike & got pushed towards a brand new Ninja 600 ... no thanks). Put it this way, I definitely got the feel that Northern was more substance than style - which I appreciate.

I have nothing but good things to say about Northern and when we're ready to upgrade to a bigger bike in a year or two we will definitely be giving them a call!
    Last edited by capt_canuck; 04-16-2009 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Added some detail

Smile Re: anyone familiar with northern motorsports ??

Bought my 1999 Triumph Trophy off them last August. Mostly a pleasant experience, though found later they had the price lower on Auto trader than on their website. Thought I had a verbal agreement with the owner to pay a little less but when I got up there he wouldn't budge. Just thought it was funny since what I wanted to pay was what they had it for on Trader.

Probably he saw I was going to get that bike no matter what the cost! I am a lousy negotiator. And the Trophy is a SWEET bike!

On the positive side when my wife and I went up cause I wanted to test ride the bike, when they went to start it it wouldn't. So Nick (who is actually the parts guy) replaced all the fuel lines and I think maybe the spark plugs and got it running and let me take a test ride even though it was at or past closing time. (First he took it out to make sure everything was working right.) Don't get me wrong about the condition of the bike, the Trophy looked like new, even with 35,000km on it.

When I picked up the bike, Nick went over everything very carefully with me, did a great job.

I would buy another bike from them, no question. Clean bikes, fair prices.

Dave
    Last edited by Barneycanoe; 04-17-2009 at 09:48 AM.