specializing in installing heated grips?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: specializing in installing heated grips?

specializing in installing heated grips?

Anyone know somebody who's done it a lot of times and does it for a flat $$$?

Re: specializing in installing heated grips?

Yes, "MIBagentQ' on this site has done many including my bike.

He installed mine last year and did a very neat job, with a relay, fuse plus heat shrink connections.

Very happy with the heated grips. Used them on low today with vented gloves. And yes he charged a flat fee with all parts included.

Quote Originally Posted by STARSHIP View Post
    Yes, "MIBagentQ' on this site has done many including my bike.

He installed mine last year and did a very neat job, with a relay, fuse plus heat shrink connections.

Very happy with the heated grips. Used them on low today with vented gloves. And yes he charged a flat fee with all parts included.
    Thank you! I'll pm him

MIBagentQ did supplied and installed heated grips on my wife's ninja 500 last fall, and she loves them. no problems, nice guy.

Hi

Yup I do heated grip installations for anyone else who's interested, for $150. I used to have a thread in parts and accessories but it does not appear to be on the server anymore. In essence however, this is what I do.

- Install kimpex heated grip elements under your existing stock grips
    - Mount low-setting resistor to frame
    - Insulate left side handlebar with electrical tape before applying heating element (Left handlebar is metal and acts as a heat sink, without insulating it, your right grip will heat up much faster than your left)
    - Route wires along existing wiring harness, remove fairings and gas tank as necessary, this ensures the wires don't catch when you turn the handlebars
    - Solder additional length of wire to reach battery
    - All wiring is 16ga AWG, switches and relays are connected using female spade connectors so that they can be removed and reattached (for things like track days or what not)
    - Install in-line fuse
    - Install SPDT 12v30A automotive relay powered straight to battery, triggered by always-on rear tail light or ignition from fuse box. This ensures that the heated grips will ONLY work if the bike is on, no worrying about killing your battery.
    - All connections soldered and sealed with heat shrink tubing
    - Heat shrink protection for the wire coming out of the throttle grip. This grip twists every time you ride so you want to reinforce it with 6" of heatshrink tube to ensure it doesn't wear out over time
    - Mount Hi/off/Lo switch to fairings or handlebar (your choice on location, I recommend somewhere on the left side so you can stay on your throttle while you turn it on or off. If it's fairings, I drill a hole for the switch, if its handlebar, I goop it on. Goop is super strong, I've never had a switch fall off)
    - Will fabricate custom switch mount if required, I've only had to do this once so far on a cruiser as there were no fairings to mount it to and then handlebar was round. Looked very nice though.
    - I've completely lost count of how many bike installs I've completed, probably about two dozen, but I've been doing this for a few years now and really haven't kept count. I've done sportbikes, cruisers, adventure bikes, naked bikes, no scooters yet though lol. Though the install process is pretty much the same regardless of the bike.

This is a diagram I drew of how to wire the elements and the relay. There are no trade secrets in installing heated grips, the internet is a wealth of information.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...g?t=1226588526

This methodology is what I've figured out to be the best way from my experience, doing quality long-lasting work is up to you. Or you can just go with me and I'll make sure its done right, and if there are any problems later on, I can help with that too.

For example this one time, I wired up the relay to be triggered by the low beam headlight. However, what I didn't realize at the time is that on SV's, the low beams turned off when the high beams are activated. This resulted in the heated grips ONLY working if the low beams were on, but not when the high beams were lit lol. Lesson learned ha ha ha, I did a house-visit in brampton to fix that mistake.

Other experiences include bolts that you'd think are grounded, but aren't. Bolts like the mounting bolts for the ENTIRE front bird cage of a Katana. A 12mm bolt that appears to bolt straight to the frame, but nope, its not grounded. Oh, and oil coolers also tend to be ungrounded too.

So that's everything I can think of on how to install heated grips the right way, install usually takes me 2 - 2.5 hours now, it used to take much longer before I got my air compressor, 150w soldering gun, and heat gun. That and about two dozen bikes worth of experience lol

Quote Originally Posted by MIBagentQ View Post
    Other experiences include bolts that you'd think are grounded, but aren't. Bolts like the mounting bolts for the ENTIRE front bird cage of a Katana. A 12mm bolt that appears to bolt straight to the frame, but nope, its not grounded.
    I remember that.

BTW everyone I do recommend MIB's services, he did the ones on my Kat 3yrs ago and they were still working fine when I sold the bike a week ago.
    Chris
    Stoney Creek
    2008 KLR650+

Heated grips rock! Once you have em, you wonder how you went on with out them.

I have been neglecting this must mod the last two seasons. Will definetly have you(MIBagentQ) install this coming fall. Thanks for the info.

They are also great on spring mornings!

someone requested a picture of the installed switch, I don't have any pictures of the other bikes I've done but on my busa I installed the switch on the handlebar. Probably one of the most accessible places for the switch, and allows for very clean wiring.

Don't mind the bent hayabusa plate, I think someone tried stealing mine >.<

one thing to add, instead of using the jumbo switch that comes with the Kimpex kit you can get a small toggle switch for a couple bucks from Circuit City

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Produ...roduct=2750663
    Last edited by regder; 04-02-2009 at 05:33 PM.

I bought a new set of Kimpex grips for my new bike. It came with a nice new round SPDT rocker switch like the one below, it does have the hi/low/off marked on the switch itself.

Chris
    Stoney Creek
    2008 KLR650+

^^wow that's very nice and fancy... wish I had that...

+1 on MIBagentQ's work. He has done two of my bikes and even on my fussy bikes he did the install with smile The price is well justified.

Keep up the good work!
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

Thanks guys

I got time this weekend in case anyone wants to get something installed, weather looks sunny and decent though there might be salt on the road, that or the city ran out of budget :P

and check out what I just finished building for a customer this past weekend, pretty sweet eh

Colour balance on my camera is wayyyy off, I need a new camera :P

If you don't like the huge paddle rocker switch that comes with most grip warmers you can get the round ones for a few bux. On my wife's SV she wanted the switch close so I made up a tab and mounted it right on with the clutch mount just by adding a longer bolt. On the 636 you can barely even notice the switch.

Len - Barrie

i just finished my ride home from an install at MIBagentQ's place.... i must say it was the most enjoyable ride ive done in cold(er) weather.... the price is well worth the comfort and quality of install.

thanks again, alan!

2007 Lotus Exige S ~ the grocery-getter
    2004 ZX6R ~ the daily commuter (sold)
    2005 GSXR 1000 ~ the scary thing in my garage (sold to my insurer lol)
    2007 GSXR 1000 ~ the newer scary thing in my garage

Hey,

A quick thanks to Alan for installing my grips as well! A job that looks extremely difficult he did with a smile! They work awesome, at some points on the ride home my hands got too hot!

Thanks!
    The Silver and Black

Hopefully I can get some heaters installed by him before the Spring ride and Algonquin

-Jamie M.

OMG!

A massive thanks goes out to MIBagentQ! He installed my heated grips today! They are SO amazing! Every bike sold in Canada should come with heated grips, PERIOD!

Talk about a professional guy. Treats your bike as if it was his own. Professional tools. Professional parts (wires, relays, switches, etc.). His workshop is clean and organized (well not true but I've seen way worse). He did a SUPER clean install. Hid all the wires. Perfect solder jobs (soldering gun? for wusses, real men use a torch). Everything heatshrinked. Resistors mounted to the front forkes to act as a heatsink! Crazy good idea. He's got skillz too (watch him "drill" a perfectly round and sized hole for the toggle switch in my plastic inner fairing (AHHHHHHHH!) with his Dremmel (AHHHHHHH AGAIN!) with a thin cutting bit!!! "Drillz are for loozerz!" lol).

Note: The huge fugly toggle switch in the pic posted somewhere in this thread is NOT the one that currently comes with his kit. It's a super mini little three way toggle switch, looks about 1/3 the size of the one in the pic I'm talking about.

They work SOOOO good and heat up SOOOO fast. I guess "High" is for days when it's -20 cause "Low" was pretty toasty!

Everything is so clean and hidden you can't even tell I have them. Well except for the s*** eating grin on my face cause my hands are all warm and toasty when everyone else on the group ride wants to go home cause they can't shift or brake anymore! WOOOOOOOOT!

More mad props go out to MIBagentQ. The install took a lot longer then normal. Because my bike was brand new, the glue they used to glue the grips on was extra sticky. Took us a while to get them off. And running the wires so they were totally hidden was also a real pain! hehe.

And what a straight up guy. When I offered him more money for all the extra work, he refused "Hey! Flat rate is flat rate! If I charged extra for every bike that had issues, I wouldn't have any customers!"

EVERYONE, send him a PM and book your heated grip install right away!

Don't wait until the fall when he'll be booked solid! Don't even THINK of installing them yourself, and don't buy them anywhere else.

MIBagentQ is your one stop shop!

-Jamie M.
    Last edited by toysareforboys; 04-14-2009 at 12:24 AM.