Tire Expiry date

Thread: Tire Expiry date

Tire Expiry date

How can I tell what the expiry date is on a motorcycle tire?

Thanks

Re: Tire Expiry date

There won't be an expiry date but there should be a production date on there if you know how to read the tire makers codes.

There is no expiry date per say, but at the dealership I work at we will not sell a tire more then 6-7 years old to you! If it is even 5 years old it will have a big discount on it! As long as the tires are keep indoors and in a climate controled building it sould be good for a few years.

Always check the date code on the tire though, its the 4 digit code that is stamped into the tire. the first two numbers are the week is was made and the secound two are the year it was made. example (2508, 25 week of 200.

If the tire is on the vehicle and being used 4 to 5 years from the date it was manufactured you should be fine as long as it was stored properly.
    Look, lean, believe!

Quote Originally Posted by ontarior6 View Post
    There is no expiry date per say, but at the dealership I work at we will not sell a tire more then 6-7 years old to you! If it is even 5 years old it will have a big discount on it! As long as the tires are keep indoors and in a climate controled building it sould be good for a few years.

Always check the date code on the tire though, its the 4 digit code that is stamped into the tire. the first two numbers are the week is was made and the secound two are the year it was made. example (2508, 25 week of 200.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 954RR View Post
    If the tire is on the vehicle and being used 4 to 5 years from the date it was manufactured you should be fine as long as it was stored properly.

How about me.. my bike have the orginal Dunlops Sportmax tires with only 12K on it.. Its a 2001 F4i model.

Is it safe to ride??? theres still plently of meat on the tires, but Im scared it will explode or something lol.. since its soo old

Still safe.the rubber just gets harder and less grippy. So ride like a wimp, or get fresh rubber, I once rode on 24 year old tires, but I couldn't enjoy it. They were diamond hard by then and never would have worn out, I reckon.
    Fresh tires feel sooooooo good!

Quote Originally Posted by TRIGGA View Post
    How about me.. my bike have the orginal Dunlops Sportmax tires with only 12K on it.. Its a 2001 F4i model.

Is it safe to ride??? theres still plently of meat on the tires, but Im scared it will explode or something lol.. since its soo old
    If you see any cracking or you find the tires to be hard I would replace them. With the age of the tires I would personally buy new tires to be on the safe side. When I had my F4 I got 16-18k on the rear so you're almost due for a set.
    Look, lean, believe!

ZX6R-G2

Rule of thumb; 5 years for tires, as the rubber hardens with time. Also, tires should be kept out of the sun and away from electrical motors---ozone from motors also helps harden them. And check the 4-digit number after the DOT on the sidewall for the week/year; if you see 3-digits then they're 20th-Century relics. Any cracking between the tread blocks or on sidewalls and they're junk. Also, every heat cycle a tire goes through, it hardens. More rides, more hardness---look at racers who'll change a tire after a couple of heat cycles of a brand-new tire!

I'm sure if you're a leisurely rider i.e. cruiser, tourer, then you can get away with tires 5 years or more. But if you're a sport-biker that likes to ride hard, it's not a good idea.