1 bike, 2 riders

Thread: 1 bike, 2 riders

1 bike, 2 riders

OK, as I understand it, if I lend my car to somebody I am also lending my insurance. Assuming this is true, does this apply to motorcycles?

Here's the situation. I'm learning to ride this year. Got the course booked - all that good stuff. My wife already has a motorcycle. Could she lend it to me for an occasional ride (and be covered by her insurance), or do I need to get my own insurance? I've had one opinion that says I could be added to her policy at no extra charge.

Can anyone confirm? Currently have cars and home insured with State Farm.

Todd

Re: 1 bike, 2 riders

From what I understand, unless you signed something explicit stating that you would not ride her bike under any circumstances, then the minute she negotiated insurance for her motorcycle, all motorists in the household are automatically taken into consideration in calculating the premium. This is regardless of whether all motorists had their motorcycle license (M1, M2, M) or not at the time. Bottom line, if you are married to her and live in the same household, I think you're already covered.

But again, best to check with your own insurance company for the final word.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightcycle View Post
    From what I understand, unless you signed something explicit stating that you would not ride her bike under any circumstances, then the minute she negotiated insurance for her motorcycle, all motorists in the household are automatically taken into consideration in calculating the premium. This is regardless of whether all motorists had their motorcycle license (M1, M2, M) or not at the time. Bottom line, if you are married to her and live in the same household, I think you're already covered.

But again, best to check with your own insurance company for the final word.
    This is accurate, HOWEVER, you must disclose to State Farm that you now have a license. When you applied for your insurance, you signed a form stating that you must notify them if there is ever a change in risk (such as your address, car, or new operators).

Call State Farm and let them know that you are now an occassional operator on the bike. Since they rate based on when you got your car license (rather than your motorcycle license) you premium should not go up.

Welcome to riding!
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    OK, as I understand it, if I lend my car to somebody I am also lending my insurance. Assuming this is true, does this apply to motorcycles?

Here's the situation. I'm learning to ride this year. Got the course booked - all that good stuff. My wife already has a motorcycle. Could she lend it to me for an occasional ride (and be covered by her insurance), or do I need to get my own insurance? I've had one opinion that says I could be added to her policy at no extra charge.

Can anyone confirm? Currently have cars and home insured with State Farm.

Todd

If you over 25 and don't live in the same residence yes she could lend it to you for a ride. If you live with her and you have your M1/M2 etc the insurance company should be notified that there is a secondary driver in the household that is able to drive that vehicle.

That is my understanding of what my state farm agent gave me. There may be an increase onher policy if you live together and your a new rider.
    HIS - 2006 CBR 1000RR
    HERS - 2004 CBR 600RR
    Project 2: "Full Electric 6500W Super pocket Bike" Fried conroller, replacment OTW!

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    This is accurate, HOWEVER, you must disclose to State Farm that you now have a license. When you applied for your insurance, you signed a form stating that you must notify them if there is ever a change in risk (such as your address, car, or new operators).

Call State Farm and let them know that you are now an occassional operator on the bike. Since they rate based on when you got your car license (rather than your motorcycle license) you premium should not go up.

Welcome to riding!
    Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like this shouldn't be too painful on the wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like this shouldn't be too painful on the wallet.
    As long as you are over 25 and licensed over 5 years with a car, my guess is that it won't cost you anything at all. Good luck!
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    As long as you are over 25 and licensed over 5 years with a car, my guess is that it won't cost you anything at all. Good luck!
    Well over 25 years old and been licensed for over 20 years. I suddenly feel kinda old.

Quote Originally Posted by CONTROL ONE View Post
    Is this the same AtomicPunk from C7/Toyota?
    Yep. Who else would use the title of an obscure VanHalen song