Good roads near Mississauga?

Thread: Good roads near Mississauga?

Octopussy

Good roads near Mississauga?

I'm getting a ZX-14 soon, but I'm still looking for a peaceful and scenic road close to Mississauga... sort of like the ones I used to ride on back in England. Here's a picture if you've never seen the British countryside: One - Two

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a road like that? I haven't been able to find one for ages. How come the western provinces get all the mountains and scenery?

Re: Good roads near Mississauga?

Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
    I'm getting a ZX-14 soon, but I'm still looking for a peaceful and scenic road close to Mississauga... sort of like the ones I used to ride on back in England. Here's a picture if you've never seen the British countryside: One - Two

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a road like that? I haven't been able to find one for ages. How come the western provinces get all the mountains and scenery?
    Mississauga Rd...

just kidding, the only thing close by there is Forks of the Credit
    Resident Loudmouth

I'll head up Burnahmthorpe and get into Milton area where I can find some good long and sometimes twisty peacefull roads to go on. I found some good roads up near Steels and Trafalgar where the escartment starts but ya your gonna have to ride a bit to get to some fun road. Forks of the Credit is great, Appelby Line and I want to get out to Hamilton and go looking for roads up there, I know theres gotta be some good ones on the West side past the city.

Let me know if you wanna meet up and go for a spin, I can show you one or two good places to ride in Mississauga.

Octopussy

A 2+ hour trip to Forks of the Credit would be OK once a month, but I don't think I'd be able to manage any more than that. Milton sounds reasonable, though. Also, what about the Halton Hills area?

Frustratingly low speed limits and the police know which roads are the good riding roads (and they read the internet, too). It's best left as an exercise for yourself to find out when and where to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post

up 'round the Niagra Escarpment and down into Welland .. go there ur zx-14 will feel right at home!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    Frustratingly low speed limits and the police know which roads are the good riding roads (and they read the internet, too). It's best left as an exercise for yourself to find out when and where to ride.
    although OP didn't say, i guess you're implying he's look for a peaceful & scenic road to rip up!
    i guessed he was lookin for a lazy sunday afternoon cruise.
    Last edited by squid pro quo; 03-22-2009 at 09:32 AM.

For a peaceful and scenic ride, just go anywhere and turn off the main road!

I just posted this in another thread - should have done it here:

I'm back riding after a few years hiatus. I used to use the Ontario bike roads site to plan out my Sunday morning route.

I'd usually leave from the QEW/427 area around 7:30AM and be done around 1:00 pm. Has anyone mapped this route out? It's been a while since I've done it and used to know it by heart.

Here's the route: Snake Road to Ice House for breakfast then onto Rattlesnake Point. Then to Speyside back roads onto Terra Cotta, Forks of the Credit and finally Hockley Valley Road. Then home.

From what I remember this is the Sunday morning route I used to do. I'd usually leave at 7 or 8 am - no traffic and few cops. It would take me till around noon or so. I'd start out at the farthest section and work back towards home.

Section: Snake Road

QEW to 403 Burlington to Highway 6 North

Exit at Plains Road West (right) Follow to Hillsdale (go left). This turns into Snake Road. Enjoy.

Keep going North through residential area till you get to Highway #5 – Dundas Street (go right) to Guelph Line #1 (go left)

Section: Rattlesnake Point

From Guelph Line turn right at Derry turn then left on Appleby. Enjoy. Double back from Conservation area back to Guelph Line. Proceed North on Guelph line to Ice House for breakfast and bike watching.

Section: Speyside Backroads

After breakfast continue North on Guelph Line to 15 Sideroad go right. At Trafalgar go left. Hang left on 22 Sideroad go through LimeHouse. Turn right on #25 past Acton to #124 go right.

Section: Forks of the Credit

Go right on 9th. Left on Wellington. Through to Bush and onto the town of Belfountain. Grab a pop at the village store. Then onto Forks of the Credit Road. Enjoy.

End ride at Highway 10 – Head home for lunch, pint and wash bike.

Quote Originally Posted by luis691 View Post
    Section: Rattlesnake Point

From Guelph Line turn right at Derry turn then left on Appleby. Enjoy. Double back from Conservation area back to Guelph Line. Proceed North on Guelph line to Ice House for breakfast and bike watching.
    Be careful with the hairpin going up Appleby. The road corner is always full of sand and will bite hard if you take it too fast.

its a blind corner too. cars coming down or going up, always take over half the road. run it wide and you will hit the sand.
    FS:[99-02 SV650 Parts, R6 Rim] [SV650 Brake Pads] [50MM Headlight Bracket] [SuperCorsa Scrubs 120/180]
    I want these parts gone! make me an offer.

please email me directly, I don't check the forums anymore. Thanks!

Definitly west of Mississauga. North of Oakville and Burlington. Farther west to Hamilton and Waterdown. Milton area as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dy9213 View Post
    Be careful with the hairpin going up Appleby. The road corner is always full of sand and will bite hard if you take it too fast.

its a blind corner too. cars coming down or going up, always take over half the road. run it wide and you will hit the sand.
    I've gone through that in my car a few times lately, and can confirm that it is *totally* covered in sand.

In the car I've been doing my share ... by sliding it around on the corner to hopefully scrub and fling some of the sand off the road ...

Other roads and routes around Belfountain and generally around the GTA can be found at www.Wingnutty.ca They are all paved and maps are to scale.
    I like exploring within 2 hours of the GTA. My bike is a Honda Silverwing 600 maxi-scooter... all automatic cuz I'm lazy and shiftless. My website is an ongoing personal project, which includes ride routes/maps all around the GTA. All routes are tested. All are paved. Surf over to www.wingnutty.ca for details.

went down Appleby yesterday, and the rain run-off made for a very slow descent.