Rider goes down... right infront of me - Page 17

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Rider goes down... right infront of me

Re: Rider goes down... right infront of me

Quote Originally Posted by tat2 View Post
    CP24 is owned by CTV, Rogers owns CityTV.
    Oh, yeah, you're right. My bad.

Sadly, I learned this was my friend and union member in my sector. I visited him at Sunnybrook on Friday. He lost his left leg about 8 inches below the knee, and broke the femur on same leg, severe bruising on right leg, road rash across his lower back, and a broken left arm. His girlfriend appeared to have escaped unscathed. He put on his brave face, but being in similar conditions myself, I know he is scared and not clear of the lengthy battle to recovery to come. I am able to give some assistance but I fear he will hit some serious emotional low points. Very tough to see this. Of course he is replaying the event over and over, even in his sleep, the sound of the crash is like a tape loop, thinking of all the things he could of done differently.
    One amazing detail of his story. His leg was sheared clean off, he could see his pant leg fluttering wirth the force of the severed arterie(s). A guy was trying to push him to lie down and wait for help. He knew he would bleed to death in a matter of a minute or two, so he himself grabbed his girlfriends scarf, with his broken arm he tied his own leg off to stem the bleeding. Saved his own life.

Hey Unioongon, thanks for letting us know of his condition. Hope he has a chance to see the video of the rally put together by members of this forum, I think he will feel a bit better once he sees the support from strangers. Glad to know that at list the passenger was unharmed.

Keep us posted

Yeah, unles he has two girlfriends, the one I saw did not have a scratch or even a limp. Funny how the stories get twisted.

Sad, oh so very sad for the rider. I hope he can rebound over time.

sad to here it... hope he get well fast

A difficult road to recovery - hopefully he'll find the courage and strength to face it with the support of his friends and family. I pray that he'll believe it was better to lose his leg than his life.
    Remember...no point running from the cops - you'll only go to jail tired!

Quote Originally Posted by uniongoon View Post
    Sadly, I learned this was my friend and union member in my sector. I visited him at Sunnybrook on Friday. He lost his left leg about 8 inches below the knee, and broke the femur on same leg, severe bruising on right leg, road rash across his lower back, and a broken left arm. His girlfriend appeared to have escaped unscathed. He put on his brave face, but being in similar conditions myself, I know he is scared and not clear of the lengthy battle to recovery to come. I am able to give some assistance but I fear he will hit some serious emotional low points. Very tough to see this. Of course he is replaying the event over and over, even in his sleep, the sound of the crash is like a tape loop, thinking of all the things he could of done differently.
    One amazing detail of his story. His leg was sheared clean off, he could see his pant leg fluttering wirth the force of the severed arterie(s). A guy was trying to push him to lie down and wait for help. He knew he would bleed to death in a matter of a minute or two, so he himself grabbed his girlfriends scarf, with his broken arm he tied his own leg off to stem the bleeding. Saved his own life.
    I just came home from work, happy that today was my last shift before I have the week off... reading this was a buzz kill, but definitely a warning bell to be smarter riding this season... even though sometimes smart isn't good enough. There aren't many people out there who deserve going through this. I can't even figure out how I feel reading this. I'm very sorry for the rider.

I went to visit the rider at Sunnybrook on Saturday. His girlfriend had been released on Thursday and she's doing well. Uniongoon summed it up pretty well, the rider's having a hard time dealing with it, blaming himself some of the time. But he's also focused on recovering and he's already talking about prosthetic legs. I told him about everyone on the forum wishing him well and he really appreciates it.

Quote Originally Posted by uniongoon View Post

Oh man, this is heartbreaking, please do let know if there is anything that can be done to support him.

thanks for the updates Red and union ... and as others have said, if there's anything we can do to help, post up!

Somewhere...but I'm not lost. Well...maybe a little.

Just a further update to this story. Finally I can put a name and faces to the two riders. Robert and Eleni (last names left out for some obvious reasons). My contact info finally reached Eleni's brother and he contacted me this morning. I made arrangements to leave work early so that I could visit with them.

Eleni was by far the lucky one and was released once her ribs and spleen healed enough and although a tad sore and still riddled with bruises, she is doing fine.

Robert is another story. "Uniongoon" already covered those injuries so there is no need to say it again.

I spent nearly 3hrs with them and Robert's older brother. All I could do was try and lift their spirits and assure them that they will recover from this tragedy (less his leg of course) and life will carry on. He is eager to ride again and I assured him that if he wants too...he can. Many custom bikes have been designed for riders with special needs although it may not be a gixxer

I showed him a picture of my bike and his eyes lit up.

We are setting up a PayPal acct in their name for people to donate funds. I didn't want to accept money on their behalf for obvious reasons. Once the acct is setup and I'm advised what the email acct is, I will post that information here for those who want to assist.

All of them have been very moved and touched by the outpouring of support from the riding community and all that has happened as a result of it. They asked me to pass on their deepest thanks to everyone who attended the rally and are now getting behind the larger Road Awareness campaign that has begun.

Please stay tuned for more information about donations. They will need all the support they can get. Financially and emotionally.

In the next day or so, Robert will be transfered to a rehab centre and once settled there, I will visit with him again.

My prayers go out to the rider and his family.

Reading this puts your spirits down but also makes me more wary of the road. Be careful out there everyone.

de Jager, that's fantastic! I hope everyone can make even a small donation, it would mean a lot to them. I'm so glad you got to meet Robert and Eleni, they are truly great people.

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    de Jager, that's fantastic! I hope everyone can make even a small donation, it would mean a lot to them. I'm so glad you got to meet Robert and Eleni, they are truly great people.
    Shaun.... thanks for the update, let us know when the paypal is up... this might sound gay, but you're an angle

Quote Originally Posted by moosio View Post
    Shaun.... thanks for the update, let us know when the paypal is up... this might sound gay, but you're an angel
    Fixed.

Shaun.... thanks for the update, let us know when the paypal is up... this might sound gay, but you're an angle
    i don't think shaun is gay at all. it hink he is doin' a great job showin' support in this very difficult time.

Shaun is an angle for doing this (I was reffering to my statement as gay)... let's not joke around in this thread, unless it helps lift spirits.

Joyous

Somewhere...but I'm not lost. Well...maybe a little.

Ya ya....don't spread that around though. Might screw up macho persona. Who am I kidding. LOL

Thanks guys...just trying to help. Sometimes good things come from tradegy and all things considered...they will both be fine in the long run. I wish I could say the same about every time something like this happens.

That's not gay, that's Hilarious!!!

Thanks for the laugh
    Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do. - David Brent