"custom" lights to pass safety?

Thread: "custom" lights to pass safety?

"custom" lights to pass safety?

Just picked up my new bike today.
    It has a fender eliminator kit in it, with integrated LED turn signals. The right side marker doesn't work, the issue is the connection actually inside the LED light has come loose and I need to split it open to re-solder it. I know this because the previous owner had to do it.
    So, I thought I could go to princess auto, buy some 2" marker lights and mount them on either side of the license plate and wire them into my turn signal wiring.
    Also, I need to install a plate light, so I'll use a white LED for that.
    Should get me to pass a safety?

Re: "custom" lights to pass safety?

It depends how afraid the mechanic is of losing his license if the MoT did an inspection.

Strictly speaking, all original-equipment lighting that was supplied by the original manufacturer has to be in place and working. Any deviations could be grounds for a failure. Some mechanics will accept substitute lighting as long as it is DOT-marked, which I guarantee that your integrated LED signals are not. Other mechanics will accept substitute lighting as long as it's there ...

If at all possible, your best bet is to put the lighting back to stock.

Keep in mind that CMVSS 108 and other federal standards also require: Red retro-reflector facing the rear, red retro-reflector facing the side towards the rear of the bike, amber retro-reflector facing the side towards the front of the bike, direction/brightness requirements for the license plate, direction/visibility requirements for how the license plate is positioned, and all this stuff has to be DOT marked. That's what your bike was originally built with ...

Re: "custom" lights to pass safety?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    Strictly speaking, all original-equipment lighting that was supplied by the original manufacturer has to be in place and working. Any deviations could be grounds for a failure.
    It's not a bike, but I almost had this happen to me when I bought my brothers car. It was a '99 Z24 with fog lights. The fog lights kept blowing and my brother stopped replacing the bulbs. Well, we took it to Speedy (I think, or Midas, whatever) and the one guy didn't want to safety it because the fog lights didn't work. I argued with him saying what the hell do they have to with anything. Luckily the senior (or whatever) mechanic came over and said that just the stock stuff has to work. Since the fog lights are an option, they didn't matter.

So yeah, it all depends on how the mechanic feels that day.