Stunting Charge

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stunting Charge

Stunting Charge

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I got nabbed with stunting. I was handed a ticket that said "doing 50km/h or more over speed limit." This morning I received a call from the issuing officer asking if I still had the ticket copy that I was issued and I said yes. The officer than asked me to come into the police station and bring the ticket so we can have a "chat." Anyone know what is going on? Should I show up with it or not? Should I talk to a lawyer first?

All help is greatly appreciated and thank you.

Re: Stunting Charge

Go, admit to nothing and make sure you bring a little recorder with you... JUST in case the cop says one thing then turns around and says that he never said that. Also make sure you photo copy the ticket before you go and keep it at your place.

How did he get your phone number?
    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

01001001 00100111 01100100 00100000 01010010
    01100001 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010
    00100000 01000010 01100101 00100000 01010010
    01101001 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111

i would also take a taxi so that he can't impound your car if you show up with it...that's assuming he did not take it from you yesterday...or show up in a friends car (since that was not the one involved in the incident)...just to be on the safe side...but yes, bring a recorder and you don't need to tell them about it...the less they know, the more they might screw something up...good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by DucDic View Post
    i would also take a taxi so that he can't impound your car if you show up with it...that's assuming he did not take it from you yesterday...or show up in a friends car (since that was not the one involved in the incident)...just to be on the safe side...but yes, bring a recorder and you don't need to tell them about it...the less they know, the more they might screw something up...good luck...
    He better take a taxi, his licence is suspended!

My understanding is that even if the officer drops the Charge your're still on the hook for all fees, including the 7 day impoundment!

Maybe he just wants you to buy a "Our Cops are Tops" sticker?

He asked me for my phone number yesterday (home and cellular).

Thanks for the responses everyone. I will do what you guys mentioned.

let us know what they wanted to "chat" about!
    2009 Hypermotard 1100

Were you allowed to drive away from the scene? If so, then they likely want to impound your vehicle. It would be easier for them if you brought it to them, rather than them having to go to your place with a tow truck.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by sportbiker_kev View Post
    let us know what they wanted to "chat" about!
    +1 I'd like to hear what's up with this tactic

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Were you allowed to drive away from the scene? If so, then they likely want to impound your vehicle. It would be easier for them if you brought it to them, rather than them having to go to your place with a tow truck.
    no they impounded the bike for 7 days, tossed me into the back of a cruiser like a criminal and took my license away for the week so I have to arrange for my parents to drive me to work.

I will keep everyone posted as this develops. Hopefully the tables turn somehow and I uncover a police crack lab lol

Yeah, this new law has me scared. Any sportbike rider know how easy it is to exceed 150km/h.
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/strictlye/signature.jpg

I would get some legal advice

I see absolutely no reason to go. I doubt he can "drop" the charge as your car has been towed and your license suspended. The only thing I can think of is that he somehow lost or screwed up his copy of the ticket and needs yours for a reference. If you decide to go I'd "forget" to bring the ticket or at the very least when he asks to see it ask in great detail why and make a determination then on whether or not to give it to him.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf2k View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I got nabbed with stunting. I was handed a ticket that said "doing 50km/h or more over speed limit." This morning I received a call from the issuing officer asking if I still had the ticket copy that I was issued and I said yes. The officer than asked me to come into the police station and bring the ticket so we can have a "chat." Anyone know what is going on? Should I show up with it or not? Should I talk to a lawyer first?

All help is greatly appreciated and thank you.
    Thomas Jefferson said "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty".

Quote Originally Posted by paulf2k View Post
    no they impounded the bike for 7 days, tossed me into the back of a cruiser like a criminal and took my license away for the week so I have to arrange for my parents to drive me to work.

I will keep everyone posted as this develops. Hopefully the tables turn somehow and I uncover a police crack lab lol
    WOW, back of the cruiser?? honestly...
    im guessing they werent "polite"

how quick were you actually going?
    but its our job to end this and ride motorcycles like men...today's society is soft as hell. but riding a 600cc is the least you can do...

Imperialengravers.com --------------
    ------------------------------------
    ---------------------------

sounds like the officer misplace the ticket.

yup dont bring it, or offer to get it to him....tell him the courts will deal with it! if that the case.

Quote Originally Posted by nitrouz201 View Post
    sounds like the officer misplace the ticket.

what strikes me as odd is the fact that the cop asked for his phone number...house and cell.they don't do that?? from my exp....they don't.

if he made a mistake on the ticket, he would have gone to the address on the licence. not taken the phone number before hand.

something seems odd to me....

this is strange....i would like to hear what happens...keep us posted please.

sorry about your luck. hope it all works out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by anth1414 View Post
    what strikes me as odd is the fact that the cop asked for his phone number...house and cell.they don't do that?? from my exp....they don't.
    pretty sure the legislation left the return of the license to the cop and the alleged....so I assume that's why the ph# exchange is relavent

but yeah...something seems weird.....I mean, if it was something as "ordinary" as the cop taking vacation next week and having the OP arrange to get his license back from a different copper...that wouldn't take a face-to-face and could be handled on the phone

agree with those suggesting if there's a possible mistake on the ticket that'll get you off the charge in court then I wouldn't want to play too nice here

keep your cards close to your chest IMO

Under the circumstances, get proper legal representation. I'd usually recommend Redline b/c I have the feeling that they could handle it, but some of our better legal minds have suggested getting a real lawyer for all sec. 172 charges.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Chances are the cop made some errors on the ticket and most likely wants to reissue you a new one. If they towed your bike and took your licence there's no way they're gonna drop it. Talk to your legal aid before you do anything...

yeah you dont get your licence back from the officer....you have to go to the ministry and pay the $150 fee then you get a temp license then regular one is mailed to you. Mabey you will get lucky like me and only pay $10....the lady at the ministry was surprised that it said I did not have to pay $150 fine...!

Quote Originally Posted by 82Seca750 View Post
    pretty sure the legislation left the return of the license to the cop and the alleged....so I assume that's why the ph# exchange is relavent

but yeah...something seems weird.....I mean, if it was something as "ordinary" as the cop taking vacation next week and having the OP arrange to get his license back from a different copper...that wouldn't take a face-to-face and could be handled on the phone

agree with those suggesting if there's a possible mistake on the ticket that'll get you off the charge in court then I wouldn't want to play too nice here

keep your cards close to your chest IMO