New to Canada, new to GTA, new to this site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to Canada, new to GTA, new to this site

Thumbs up New to Canada, new to GTA, new to this site

Hi guys,

I just came to this country, migrated from sunny California, and I am feeling quite chilly here.

I am Vik, just landed into the GTA area and waiting for summer when I can start riding. I have a license showing 4 years of riding experience from California, so I am hoping getting the license here in Ontario won't be a big deal.

Next thing I need to find out is insurance costs, etc... to insure my sportsbike.

Anyway, I am happy to see that there is an active forum here, just like I had in the Bay area called bay area riders forum.

Thanks!!!
    Vik

Re: New to Canada, new to GTA, new to this site

You'll get better responses if your name was Vickie. What's with the exodus of people from California to...freakin cold, dirty, crime ridden T.O?....lol.

welcome to the board

look under the insurnace section for a list of insurers and get busy with your phone!

ride safe!

Quote Originally Posted by Kool View Post
    You'll get better responses if your name was Vickie. What's with the exodus of people from California to...freakin cold, dirty, crime ridden T.O?....lol.
    Aah, lol... what is T.O? Toronto?? I thought California was full of crime?? Even hollywood actors are not safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Fingolfin View Post
    welcome to the board

look under the insurnace section for a list of insurers and get busy with your phone!

ride safe!
    + rep on that.
    Cheerz!!!

Welcome aboard Vik. A few introductory facts on ridin' in Ontario...
    1) If you have a supersport, insure it with State Farm (assuming they accept your US experience). Everybody else surcharges the living crapola out of you.
    2) Here, we have a rape of the constitution that, if the cop thinks you're doing more than 50km/h(30mph) over the limit, pop a wheelie or your tires slip a bit, allows him to impound your bike and suspend your license for a week, to a tune of $1000 that you'll NEVER get back even if you're found not guilty in court.
    3) The cagers here are generally brutal. No sense of lane discipline. They'll be quite happy to be going side-by side, taking up 3 lanes of traffic. Signalling is either never done, done during the turn or after the turn but never to indicate that you're about to make a turn or a lane change.
    4) The rider community is pretty decent. We wave and expect a wave back. If you put your lid on the ground, unless you're in a squid part of town, chances are riders will pull over and help you out.
    5) Used bikes cost about the same as new bikes. The bike would have to be like 15 years old to drop into an acceptable price range.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Welcome to the GTA.
    HIS - 2006 CBR 1000RR
    HERS - 2004 CBR 600RR
    Project 2: "Full Electric 6500W Super pocket Bike" Fried conroller, replacment OTW!

This thread showed up the other day...little girl from California looking to go for a ride...lol. You'll understand when you read it.. "Boys gone mental"

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=79931

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    1) If you have a supersport, insure it with State Farm (assuming they accept your US experience). Everybody else surcharges the living crapola out of you.
    2) Here, we have a rape of the constitution that, if the cop thinks you're doing more than 50km/h(30mph) over the limit, pop a wheelie or your tires slip a bit, allows him to impound your bike and suspend your license for a week, to a tune of $1000 that you'll NEVER get back even if you're found not guilty in court.
    3) The cagers here are generally brutal. No sense of lane discipline. They'll be quite happy to be going side-by side, taking up 3 lanes of traffic. Signalling is either never done, done during the turn or after the turn but never to indicate that you're about to make a turn or a lane change.
    4) The rider community is pretty decent. We wave and expect a wave back. If you put your lid on the ground, unless you're in a squid part of town, chances are riders will pull over and help you out.
    5) Used bikes cost about the same as new bikes. The bike would have to be like 15 years old to drop into an acceptable price range.
    You have managed to really surprize me. This is full of #$#^, the parts 2, 3 and 5. I already have a motorcycle, currently sitting in the US. I need to import that actually here still. Need shipping suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedtospare View Post
    Welcome to the GTA.
    Thanks!!

Importing a bike shouldn't be much of an issue (there is a very good how to thread on the forum, use the search function).. However ask a couple of questions because I'm not sure about the regulations if you've already owned the bike for a while and had it plated.
    Getting it here might be difficult though. Your best bet would be to have it shipped from Cali to Buffalo and trailer it to Sauga (it's about 1hr drive).
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578

Quote Originally Posted by Kool View Post
    This thread showed up the other day...little girl from California looking to go for a ride...lol. You'll understand when you read it.. "Boys gone mental"

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=79931
    That thread got really messed up. Good link though.

Importing a bike shouldn't be much of an issue (there is a very good how to thread on the forum, use the search function).. However ask a couple of questions because I'm not sure about the regulations if you've already owned the bike for a while and had it plated.
    Getting it here might be difficult though. Your best bet would be to have it shipped from Cali to Buffalo and trailer it to Sauga (it's about 1hr drive).
    Thanks Firestart, I will do the search.

Welcome

Welcome to the GTA !!

Resurrection

Why do you post such BS. The cop has to know you were doing 50 over, by radar, or pacing, if your tires slip, that's laughable, but if you burn out yes you can lose the vehicle. Cagers are no worse here then any where else, and I forgot bikes are never at fault in accidents. If you wave, you expect a wave back haha, and if the other person doesn't wave back, you'll hunt them down right. Used bikes don't cost any where the same as new, and if someone paid close to new for a used they are just suckers.

The cop doesn't have to know anything. I once got ticketed based on the Sauga cop's estimate on how long it took him to catch up to me and his on-the-spot traffic analysis. Since I was actually speeding and didn't know any better at the time, I didn't fight it. I'm aware of one guy getting charged for stunting not because he was doing a burnout (which was the intention of this law) but because of minor tire slippage.
    I found the cagers south of the border (especially as you head south-west) to be a lot more civilized. Left lane's almost always clear for passing.
    I don't retaliate for no waving and don't know anyone who does that. That was just a general note on manners.
    It's quite common for a 6-7 year old bike to be advertised for only 1-2000 under the retail on a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by dj vik b View Post
    You have managed to really surprize me. This is full of #$#^, the parts 2, 3 and 5. I already have a motorcycle, currently sitting in the US. I need to import that actually here still. Need shipping suggestions.
    Haha.. People are just trying to scare you.. But these things above are true.

Regarding (2)... We were all surprised. Or maybe we weren't... Depends on how much one is interested in OPP/politics and the like. And yea, that part about doing 50+ is true. This is so called HTA172 (Highway Traffic Act, section 172). It deals with racing and stunting. Below is the definition of racing/stunting, read it for your reference:
    http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...s_070455_e.htm
    Here's the HTA itself:
    http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta...es_90h08_e.htm

Regarding (3). This is not as bad as it sounds. Sure, the cagers will do stupid things, not look before changing lanes, not signal, etc, but I wouldn't say it's brutal. You can get used to it.

Regarding (5). This specifically applies to Ninja 250R. Apparently that bike can actually appreciate in value. Other bikes can be found cheaper used.

Last, but not least, welcome to the GTA and the GTAM.
    I enjoy listening to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

Quote Originally Posted by ROQET View Post
    Welcome
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by stang89 View Post
    Welcome to the GTA !!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
    Why do you post such BS. The cop has to know you were doing 50 over, by radar, or pacing, if your tires slip, that's laughable, but if you burn out yes you can lose the vehicle. Cagers are no worse here then any where else, and I forgot bikes are never at fault in accidents. If you wave, you expect a wave back haha, and if the other person doesn't wave back, you'll hunt them down right. Used bikes don't cost any where the same as new, and if someone paid close to new for a used they are just suckers.
    I believe by slipping he meant the stunt of slipping the rear wheel while front wheel is locked.. the typical stunt we do around our parking garage. If my bike slipped on the highway, I probably would be lying there with broken bones, if alive. I doubt cop will cite me instead of calling an ambulance for me.

The cop doesn't have to know anything. I once got ticketed based on the Sauga cop's estimate on how long it took him to catch up to me and his on-the-spot traffic analysis.
    I would think he better have a printout from his radar gun to prove it. Otherwise I would request police records and fight against them if nothing is in those. You can do this in Canada right? Is there a Law Enforcement Officer's section on this forum where Law can be discussed?

Quote Originally Posted by El Zilcho View Post
    Haha.. People are just trying to scare you.. But these things above are true.
    Below is the definition of racing/stunting, read it for your reference:
    Last, but not least, welcome to the GTA and the GTAM.
    Nice, thanks!@!!!

Vik, there is such a section and it contains very valuable information posted up by guys like Brian and Rob. Since pacing is also accepted as evidence, the constable can easily write a pretty script about how he properly paced the defendant and how his speedo gets calibrated every 5 minutes. In the paralegal community, constables who take their training to that level are called "scripters."
    In court, unless you can get the cop to contradict himself, his word is considered gospel. Fortunately there are a few technicalities that give you a good possibility of getting off.
    By the way fighting every ticket is worth the effort b/c they all count as "convictions" on your record (even for going 5km/h over the limit) and the insurance companies will adjust your rates accordingly.
    And no.. I meant a stunting charge due to an accidental wheel slippage, not related to any stunts, such as burnouts. Lane-splitting and filtering can also be interpreted as stunting. I think that happened to a GTAM member, but don't remember the details.

Cool, thanks for all this.

Quick question, the most important one actually... lane sharing is allowed in Ontario right? Coz otherwise I could never beat the traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by dj vik b View Post
    Quick question, the most important one actually... lane sharing is allowed in Ontario right?
    Ummm.. No.
    I enjoy listening to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

Ontario drivers look very very safe to me, lanes are also really wide.

California suffers from very tight lanes, 15 year old drivers without licenses on the highway, too many illegal immigrants driving without license and insurance. 22% of cars in California do not have liability coverage (this was true 2 years ago)

plus way too many drunk drivers, girls doing make up while driving, but that I think will go true here also.